Random Random Thoughts Rebooted

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam McCarthy's death today is pretty sad.

I really do think that AFL players need to be given a lot more slack, especially from the media and our fans.

Being a professional AFL player wouldn't be easy in the slightest, you uproot your entire life, it's harder to go out in public, you play through god knows how many injuries (and a lot of players go the extra mile here a.k.a Robert Harvey purposely snapping his Facia).

That is before the fans and media attack you (let alone social media).

I struggled with just fencing and increased expectations of that, it wouldn't even have 5% of the load of professional AFL (I have done painkilling injections for competitions before).

I remember as a kid (hell even up until a few years ago) dreaming that being a professional sportsman would be everything, but right now I don't think it would be worth it, even with all the privileges.

Cam McCarthy's death today is pretty sad.

I really do think that AFL players need to be given a lot more slack, especially from the media and our fans.

Being a professional AFL player wouldn't be easy in the slightest, you uproot your entire life, it's harder to go out in public, you play through god knows how many injuries (and a lot of players go the extra mile here a.k.a Robert Harvey purposely snapping his Facia).

That is before the fans and media attack you (let alone social media).

I struggled with just fencing and increased expectations of that, it wouldn't even have 5% of the load of professional AFL (I have done painkilling injections for competitions before).

I remember as a kid (hell even up until a few years ago) dreaming that being a professional sportsman would be everything, but right now I don't think it would be worth it, even with all the privileges.

and not just afl players, but all elite sportspeople
they choose to play sport, and commit themselves to play it well enough to be extremely, often outrageously, well paid ... but the flipside is handing over their lives for public scrutiny through a media that pays little courtesy to their lives beyond their sport, yet subjects them frequently to the most vile, deeply personal criticism of their motivations, their character, their intelligence, their ability
and in this context, we cannot just blame the media, which exists to satisfy the unrelenting demands of the public ... we, the fans
you need go no further than reading any gameday threads, read our gameday threads ...
and then there's social media, a vast element of which so often, so regularly shames and debases humanity at large
basically, we're paying them for our entertainment ... are we paying them for our titillation too?
this is a huge grey area, a quagmire of moral rationalisation ... hopefully this news on mccarthy triggers serious reflection, although as we're dealing with human beings - human frailty, human weakness - that is probably too much to hope for

and not just afl players, but all elite sportspeople
they choose to play sport, and commit themselves to play it well enough to be extremely, often outrageously, well paid ... but the flipside is handing over their lives for public scrutiny through a media that pays little courtesy to their lives beyond their sport, yet subjects them frequently to the most vile, deeply personal criticism of their motivations, their character, their intelligence, their ability
and in this context, we cannot just blame the media, which exists to satisfy the unrelenting demands of the public ... we, the fans
you need go no further than reading any gameday threads, read our gameday threads ...
and then there's social media, a vast element of which so often, so regularly shames and debases humanity at large
basically, we're paying them for our entertainment ... are we paying them for our titillation too?
this is a huge grey area, a quagmire of moral rationalisation ... hopefully this news on mccarthy triggers serious reflection, although as we're dealing with human beings - human frailty, human weakness - that is probably too much to hope for
You look at some of the Buddy commentary for his appearance at the G the other week. The criticism was a joke. Why didn't he do a full lap, he owes us etc etc. He performed for you for 18 years or whatever it was. heck off he owes you.

Finally finishing up my fencing.

Did alright with an incredibly tough draw yesterday at national championships, also got the privilege of once again representing Victoria in teams (won my leg as well even if we went down as a team to NZL).

Won't lie, mentally and physically wrecked, burnt 4622 calories yesterday. Have also puked up today (think that's the mentality side of things).

But after 4 competitions in 4 weeks, there was no way I was going to come out unscathed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back