Qld Under 18 team 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a bit of the game, outplayed the whole game, weller and freeman were good. Some of our talls were average but - Brennan, tickner & hammelman. Some of our midfielders seemed to panic under pressure too often.

Big Jono is a very good footballer - albeit an overager but great physique and athletic abilities. Would be good to see him play a bit of NEAFL A grade footy this year once the 18s is over. One of the issues with so many Scorpions all at the one club (Aspley / Morningside) is that the coaches can only justify playing so many at a time I would imagine.

Big Jono is a very good footballer - albeit an overager but great physique and athletic abilities. Would be good to see him play a bit of NEAFL A grade footy this year once the 18s is over. One of the issues with so many Scorpions all at the one club (Aspley / Morningside) is that the coaches can only justify playing so many at a time I would imagine.

No doubt Freeman has looked OK in patches so far this year - however there is history of overage tall forwards looking OK in the 18's but not always being able to take that dominance into senior football. So will be very interesting to see how he goes later in year back in NEAFL, ideally with Aspley rather than in a dominant Lions reserves team.

Another thought - I realize the only reason for the under 18 championships is showcasing talent for potential drafting, and in Qld and NSW that includes fast tracking "rookie search" players with very little footy experience. But watching Archie Smith playing for Qld with essentially no previous games behind him (in preference to players who have been in the talent program for some time), you have to wonder if he would have been better off playing under someone like John Blair or another good development coach this year in the NEAFL - if he then worked hard and learnt a bit about the game by all means play him as an overage player next year. Just not sure about this year? Hope he is still playing AFL in the NEAFL next year if he doesn't get a rookie spot on the basis of playing a few games this year (which is no doubt the lure that's been put in front of him)...

No doubt Freeman has looked OK in patches so far this year - however there is history of overage tall forwards looking OK in the 18's but not always being able to take that dominance into senior football. So will be very interesting to see how he goes later in year back in NEAFL, ideally with Aspley rather than in a dominant Lions reserves team.
Yep -agree FM. After the 18s champs I think it would be on every kids agenda to go and play senior footy and do well. Tickner should play for the Hornets too I imagine.

can be an issue with so many 18s at one club.

Stop stealing my thunder Speedy:D

But yes, it would make sense for some of these boys to be "allocated" out I would have thought.

Stop stealing my thunder Speedy:D

But yes, it would make sense for some of these boys to be "allocated" out I would have thought.
sorry about that.... when the clubs meet with these kids they all say they will fit them in to their senior side!

Which is unfortunate spin to the detriment of the boys concerned....

Reckon the rules for any boys in the Scorpions squad should be along the lines used for the Lions/Suns - if they are playing 2's they can be played on permit with any one of the other NEAFL teams without contest from the base club. Surely this is what this comp is all about - getting kids drafted which they won't do playing NEAFL 2's.

See the U18s got smashed by Tassie the other day. Might have thought this was a game we could win. No criticism of the boys, but we seem to be going backwards in terms of interstate competitiveness at this age. Maybe we're a bit inbred at coaching level and need to bring in some WA/SA/Vic coaches who know how to coach at this age/level. The bottom line is we want QLD kids drafted so that it encourages more kids to play AFL and also raises local interest in the game. This aint gonna happen if QLD is getting smashed even in Div 2.

Good point breretonisahood about getting interstate coaches. Although we have Jason Torney (south Australian) and Scott Borlace (South Australian) two interstate coaches both well equipped with fresh ideas. I honestly think it's some of the boys attitudes in the team that's costing them, they seem to be playing for themselves to get drafted, I could name a few. And a few boys surprising not playing that would be in their best team, like that young mills saw him play I. The foxtel cup leading up at the boy making a contest winning the ball, unlike some of the boys at the moment. Just one example. But I'd say it's the coaches inability to pick the best team and the players ability to play a team role that's costing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, certainly not as competitive as last years squad unfortunately.
Hard to meet the aim of playing in a way to make the boys seem more "draftable" if not competitive in the first place.
Some interesting comments attributed to Mark Browning in the courier mail over the weekend - cant get them online to post at present but will try again later - as we all know AFLQ clearly all about getting the top few boys drafted rather than actually winning games. Clearly have been targeting in a planned way tall athletes from other sports as a priority as AFL think that's the "niche" that Qld can contribute draft wise in. Acknowledged they need to do something different in terms of other types of players (presumably meaning how to get the non talls away from other sports).
Hopefully there's more to the grand plan than aiming to get a couple more rookie search players drafted each year - would be nice to think they are also looking at how to keep 17 and 18 year olds who have played for 10years in the game moving on to seniors, how to develop the best of them to play NEAFL etc
Did hear that at the presentation dinner for state 16's and 18's this year wasn't just all about the draft -( sure most of it still was) - actually had a couple of Morningside 200 game players speak about continuing on in NEAFL if the boys aren't drafted, combining footy and work/study etc. Good that it wasn't all about being drafted as sole focus - no point building up all the Qld under 18 players re the draft when realistically Qld are lucky to get 2 or 3 onto lists in an average year. By all means try to get the elite players to give it their best shot, but for the rest need to ensure they stay in the game locally.

Good point breretonisahood about getting interstate coaches. Although we have Jason Torney (south Australian) and Scott Borlace (South Australian) two interstate coaches both well equipped with fresh ideas. I honestly think it's some of the boys attitudes in the team that's costing them, they seem to be playing for themselves to get drafted, I could name a few. And a few boys surprising not playing that would be in their best team, like that young mills saw him play I. The foxtel cup leading up at the boy making a contest winning the ball, unlike some of the boys at the moment. Just one example. But I'd say it's the coaches inability to pick the best team and the players ability to play a team role that's costing them.

Have to agree - no doubt each year there are boys who playing for themselves - guess that potential is always there in rep teams especially - 2 years ago that was clearly the case with Qld 18's, bit less so last year I thought, maybe because from start most didn't realistically see themselves as draft chances and many having played together over the years in junior footy, they really wanted to be competitive as a team. Don't know this years squad as well, but not hard to guess who you would be referring to!

To be honest, not easy for whoever is coaching if the clear aim up front if showcase top talent over results. AIS boys have to play in the positions preferred by others, when they are made available by others, rookie search players get pushed to play before they are ready, certain other players have to be in, and given lack of depth in Qld doesent always result in a balanced side. Suspect coaches don't get the freedom they would like

A competitive drive would be first and foremost I reckon - doesn't matter if you have GAbletts skill set if you can't compete for the footy (or don't want to).

Some of these problems start un U14s, U16s, where the weekly competition isn't very strong. There are usually 3 dominant teams in AFLBJ Div 1 at that age (Morningside, Aspley, Sandgate), so the boys have too many easy games with lots of easy possessions. Its easy to get an unreal belief in how good you are. If I was running junior footy (which I'm not nor will ever be!) from U14 on I'd have the regional teams (Northern Raiders, Gold Coast, Sunny Coast, Bushrangers, Taipans) create 2 teams each and play a 10 team comp all year separate to the AFLBJ, GC and SC junior comps. Every game would be competitive and get the boys used to having to fight hard for every kick. That's a good habit to get into.

See the U18s got smashed by Tassie the other day. Might have thought this was a game we could win. No criticism of the boys, but we seem to be going backwards in terms of interstate competitiveness at this age. Maybe we're a bit inbred at coaching level and need to bring in some WA/SA/Vic coaches who know how to coach at this age/level. The bottom line is we want QLD kids drafted so that it encourages more kids to play AFL and also raises local interest in the game. This aint gonna happen if QLD is getting smashed even in Div 2.
Last year the 18s came 2nd in div2 by percentage only (if they kicked straight against tassie wouldve won it) and they beat a div 1 team WA along the way, then coaching wise moved on 2 QLD coaches and replaced with 2 interstate produced coaches and since we have brought in 2 new interstate coaches are now in this position......

Some of these problems start un U14s, U16s, where the weekly competition isn't very strong. There are usually 3 dominant teams in AFLBJ Div 1 at that age (Morningside, Aspley, Sandgate), so the boys have too many easy games with lots of easy possessions. Its easy to get an unreal belief in how good you are. If I was running junior footy (which I'm not nor will ever be!) from U14 on I'd have the regional teams (Northern Raiders, Gold Coast, Sunny Coast, Bushrangers, Taipans) create 2 teams each and play a 10 team comp all year separate to the AFLBJ, GC and SC junior comps. Every game would be competitive and get the boys used to having to fight hard for every kick. That's a good habit to get into.

Think you are probably right to a degree Brereton but places like Victoria also have lop sided comps at junior level. If this can be controlled then i think the AFLBJ should first of all look at where boys are "drifting" to, are there certain clubs "recruiting" at this age. If so put a stop to it. Caboolture is a classic example of a club that churns out very good young players that gravitate to Aspley / Sandgate bc of the perceived better opportunities. Logic says that if they stayed, then they would have very competitive junior sides right through. I would be really harsh on allowing kids to play out of their "region" if i was running the AFLBJ unless there was over riding reasons. Some of this starts with putting good coaches into place as well - to my mind this is what is considered high up the priority list for players/parents alike. Not always easy to find willing volunteers but very important if you want kids to stay. Secondly put a good environment around the sides that don't necessarily focus on results but football education. This often needs to be taught to parent groups as well mind you!! Good clubs do this naturally. Thirdly is the quality of footy being played but if more sides were in Div 1 than less this would be solved straight away. Sort of gets back to the first point. My thought is that club footy has more to do with developing personal qualities like leadership and competing hard when things aren't going your way. Put kids in ripper sides at the age of 13 and they never know how to beat a player when they have to ie when they play rep footy!!

Not a big fan of an "elite" comp at 14's onwards - takes kids away from their mates (#1 reason the majority play) and alot of travel for parents. Plus i think it is problematic as to who ends up in these teams. Identifying kids early is not a great recipe for churning out AFL players sometimes. It can be a wank that becomes more important to the parents than the kids. Doesn't work in soccer, pretty sure it wouldn't in AFL either.

Whatever the reasons for recent poor U18 performances, a big game for them coming up against NSW/ACT. Hope for a win or at least a close game, but after NSW/ACT destroyed NT last week, this could be another bad beating. It's hard to swallow that NSW/ACT juniors should be way ahead of QLD. Despite the much smaller population, its always seemed to me that AFL is more popular in QLD than NSW.

Brereton - its not about quantity but quality - the Riverina is a rich AFL landscape. Can't be certain but i would suggest that nearly 3/4 of the NSW side comes straight from here. Qld has nothing to compare with this region as far as passion for AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back