Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally he runs around like a gazelle and attacks the ball like a gazelle. Not since game 2 has he been running around like a gazelle. And in the last two games he has been marking like a gazelle.

His marking technique on a lead sucks. He never fully extends his arms.

There was nothing to stop him roaming around at the F50 against the Crows and playing a Tom Lynch role. IIRC he played his opponent from behind all night.

He had one season where his goalkicking accuracy was above average, 62%. Without that season his career average would be 51.5% As it is his Career average is 54.4. And that is, well, average.

He has the least contested marks and the least contested possessions per game of all our tall forwards, even Finlayson. He seems to lack competitiveness. He rarely really attacks the ball. He always has this air of letting the ball come to him.

So this is you being objective about both Dixon and Marshall huh???
There are times when I have see Marshall in an open forward line or when Marshall was the number one forward and Dixon is out and he plays very differently.

Marshall has not been allowed to roam the F50. He has been asked to play behind his man for some bizarre reason.

He is not the best contested mark but can take a very good mark. overall. He is a natural mark.

He's a good mark on the lead. Sure, the commentators have stated he doesn't extend his arms so every man under the sun states it like its fact but if you have good forward craft like Marshall, you create space between you and your man and you don't need to mark it out in front of you. However, it is a very good skill to have. I've seen him lose his man many times before.

I will say he's been in poor form this year though.

I just want to see Marshall play in a system in which his main strengths are used. Same for Georgiades.

I stand by everything I've said.

The forward line is being hampered by Dixon. Sometimes the old codgers just gunk up the works. There was an element of that with Buddy last year at the Swans. I think they were happy his contract ran out even though it was Buddy.

Hmmmmm

Have a Squizz at what he is good at and where he excels.

Marshall has the highest percentage of goals from set shots after an uncontested mark of any forward in the afl. Ie about 95% of all of his goals have come from this method. Contrast that with Hawkins who takes contested grabs, crumbs (not so much any more) and grabs it out of the ruck.

Marshall is also one of our best kicks into fifty, maybe not this year, but historically. And, when he was starting out, he was very good at applying defensive pressure.

What that tells me is that he is unlikely to ever be the number one dominant, demanding, powerful forward. He isn’t going to replace Dixon. That’s not his jam and not his nature. Equally he isn’t well served by a game plan built on repeat congested inside fifties. He needs space to lead and isn’t the guy for contested grabs. If we are to use him successfully in this game plan, we need to make more space for him and give him better areas to lead.

Marshall, perhaps similar to Jezza (and maybe our whole team), needs to have a strong mindset team behind him. It seems he struggles to fight his way out of a slump, to lift if things have gone against him, to nail the next shot after a miss.

As for not needing Dixon, we will miss Dixon when he is gone. Todd and Jezza especially.

All that is going to happen when Dixon retires is that Lord will replace him in the system. This glorious notion of Marshall leading up and taking mark after mark and kicking goal after goal if only Dixon would get out of his way is a fantasy.

Equally, the idea that Marshall would dominate under a new coach is fantasy. Yes he would be used better but that would likely be in a roaming half forward role where he would be playing a role to assist the proper key forwards aka Lord and Georgiades. Marshall himself will never be more than a role player.

All that is going to happen when Dixon retires is that Lord will replace him in the system. This glorious notion of Marshall leading up and taking mark after mark and kicking goal after goal if only Dixon would get out of his way is a fantasy.

Equally, the idea that Marshall would dominate under a new coach is fantasy. Yes he would be used better but that would likely be in a roaming half forward role where he would be playing a role to assist the proper key forwards aka Lord and Georgiades. Marshall himself will never be more than a role player.
If Hinkley is still here, Dixon is replaced by Lord who is nowhere near as good a contested mark as Dixon. It would get even uglier. Lord is still an unknown commodity.
If Hinkley is gone, the new coach will implement his gameplan and ideas.

There is a lot of straw man and crystal balling in this post. Its not even worth replying to.

Have a look at that first attempt , the one where he got a free kick earl on ,, he ran out , stretched his arms out a little , jumped up, then closed his *ing eyes . Wouldn't have got a second game out Jack or Fos !

n.

He is not the best contested mark but can take a very good mark. overall. He is a natural mark.

I think we’ve seen over time that he’s a very good 1 on 1 mark, very crafty, but a below average contested pack mark.

Unfortunately there’s very few 1 on 1s here and the pack marks he’s competing against a swarm of opposition players thanks to our gameplan plus Dixon.

Mitch has that combination of having that craft in 1 on 1’s and can jump over a pack.

If Hinkley is still here, Dixon is replaced by Lord who is nowhere near as good a contested mark as Dixon. It would get even uglier. Lord is still an unknown commodity.
If Hinkley is gone, the new coach will implement his gameplan and ideas.

There is a lot of straw man and crystal balling in this post. Its not even worth replying to.

Lord has half the talent of Dixon but only needs that, since he just jumps at the ball it doesnt require him to be some contested marking beast who can throw another 100kg man aside and take a one handed mark.

Hawkins has made a hall of fame career out of shoving a defender before the ball arrives , separating from his opponent and meeting the ball. Bread and butter for a kf.

Lord already played a string of games for us and was quality enough to suggest he’s in the frame to play 22 games for us depending on form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back