Anyone lived in Perth and Melbourne?
Or even WA and Vic?

Can you tell me which suburbs in Perth are comparable to the melbourne suburbs:

Brunswick
Richmond
North Melbourne
Fitzroy
Carlton, etc

Basically, what is inner city and what is that bit further out say 15 minutes from the city.

just getting a rough idea for possible re-location next year.

I've been to Melbourne once, and lived in Perth my whole life.

I'd say Fitzroy is somewhat comparable to Leederville and West Perth.

North Melbourne is somewhat comparable to Northbridge/East Perth.

Richmond is a little similar to South Perth I reckon.

Not sure about the other suburbs.

Ive lived in Melbourne for 21 years, and Perth for 7 years, plus 5 in Sydney.

I'd say Fitzroy is somewhat comparable to Leederville and West Perth.

agree

North Melbourne is somewhat comparable to Northbridge/East Perth.

not far off the mark,

Richmond is a little similar to South Perth I reckon.

Richmond is similar to say Maylands, close to the city, but with some dodgy area like the housing commision.

Brunswick

Mates live in West Brunswick, but see the comments on Richmond/Maylands above.

Probably NorthBridge is the closest comparison you could make.

Prices are cheaper over here than in Melbourne, but they are shooting up, the area im in has gone up 36% in 18 months, and is still going ahead, but obviously coming froma cheaper base price than Melbourne.

Also there is a good sized following of the Roos over here in Perth aswell, it was our largets interstate following but i think Tassie has taken that prize now.

as i drove home last night looking at the sun shining on the river i thought unless you have a real need to live real close to the city
i would opt for living in freo/northfreo/cottesloe and enjoy the beach life as a complete contrast from melbourne. but with the railway/drive to city only 20mins anyway. all three suburbs have life & action in them, freo certaily like a mini melbounre with good ethnic mix, cafes,museums art galleries and of course a great footy team!

Originally posted by janiek
as i drove home last night looking at the sun shining on the river i thought unless you have a real need to live real close to the city
i would opt for living in freo/northfreo/cottesloe and enjoy the beach life as a complete contrast from melbourne. but with the railway/drive to city only 20mins anyway. all three suburbs have life & action in them, freo certaily like a mini melbounre with good ethnic mix, cafes,museums art galleries and of course a great footy team!

Used to live in Mosman Park until i sold up last year. Used to walk over Stirling Hwy, down to the water inside of 10 minutes. Definatley love the area around Freo, i live just east of Freo now.

Its a very subjective thing. I've lived in both, its difficult to do because they are so different. Perth is much more... centralised.

I would say Carlton is an upmarket area with shops, cinemas, cafes, resteraunts etc like... Subiaco. Different vibe but similar type of location and prestige.

I agree that the best fit for Fitzroy would probably be Leederville/West Perth, as well. Not really similar but close as you will get.

Brunswick is large and diverse compared to Perth suburbs. Maylands, Mt Hawthorn... its a hard one. There is really nothing like Sydney Road over here.

Richmond... never really spent much time there. Seemed like your generic inner-city Melbourne suburb to me. Could be any suburb really. Maybe Highgate.

North Melbourne I would definately equate to Perth itself and North Bridge.

The main thing to point out is that many people live in the inner city Melbourne whereas almost no one lives in inner city Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back