Analysis Perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

We "took the game on" against Gold Coast. It's a recipe for some exciting wins and some disastrous losses.

For one quarter.

And then when the opposition resisted in the second, we completely caved and reverted to the way we've tried and tested for years. What would have been more encouraging is if they just backed themselves, even if GC did challenge. The fact our boys couldn't put their foot down and play like that for more than a quarter was very discouraging.

For one quarter.

And then when the opposition resisted in the second, we completely caved and reverted to the way we've tried and tested for years. What would have been more encouraging is if they just backed themselves, even if GC did challenge. The fact our boys couldn't put their foot down and play like that for more than a quarter was very discouraging.

I'm not sure you watched that game properly.

The reason we leaked so many goals in a row was precisely because we didn't defend the way we have been over the years.

Your "exciting, attacking football" actually looks pretty dreadful when it's coming back the other way.

The reason we leaked so many goals in a row was precisely because we didn't defend the way we have been over the years.

Your "exciting, attacking football" actually looks pretty dreadful when it's coming back the other way.
And from my memory (which granted I have tried to wipe), is that we weren't that good in the first, simply more accurate.

Correct it does look dreadful, because it's not the way we're used to playing which is exactly why we need to be making it our focus. As I said, look at our best wins this year. I would say Hawthorn at the G and the North shootout as easily our two best. And in both of them we played faster and were more aggressive with our ball movement. They were two occasions where it worked, a lot of the time it won't work because it still isn't our MO.

But that should be the blueprint for what we're striving towards because our young guns looked better than ever in those types of games, and last Friday night was clear evidence for why we're going absolutely nowhere with the defensive style you seem to be OK with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back