Past player - Brendon Retzlaff (1993)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendon Retzlaff

25323.jpg

DOB: 22/4/1969

Height: 180cm

Weight: 78 kg

Playing number: 48

Arrived: Drafted at pick 19 in the 1993 pre-season draft, from Brisbane Bears.

Debut: Round 13, 1993 vs Collingwood – 83rd Eagles player.

Games: 3

Goals: 0

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 1993 season.

Brendon Retzlaff started his career with Swan Districts in 1989. The Collie product played in the club’s 1990 premiership and was promptly drafted by Collingwood, but elected to stay at Bassendean for the following season. Collingwood then dealt him to Brisbane, and Retzlaff played 15 games for the Bears in the 1992 season.

After a contractual dispute, Retzlaff left Brisbane and was snapped up by West Coast in the 1993 pre-season draft. The ruck-rover made his debut in a clash against Collingwood, picking up 13 touches in the Eagles’ first win at Victoria Park. Unfortunately, like many midfielders of that era he found it tough going to crack a regular game, managing just two more unremarkable senior appearances for the year. At the end of the season the club was required to cull its list from 52 players back to 40, and Retzlaff was one of the unlucky ones.

He reappeared in the AFL in 1995, managing 6 games in Fremantle’s inaugural season although injuries prevented him from playing more of a role.

Retzlaff continued to play for Swan Districts until 1998 when he had one farewell season at Peel on his way back home to Collie.

(Apologies, only picture of him I could find includes purple :( )

Ahhhh, Retzy, remember him spewing down the side of my car after a big night out.
It was an old Datsun 180B, loved that car. :rainbow:

I remember him well, have his signature on a ball (as well as Hampson, Clape, Schofield from memory, must have been an all star midfield that day at Princes Park), didn't remember him playing for Freo though.

One of the guys like Hampson and Godden that popped up sporadically in our team only when others were injured. Was never really good enough to be in our team otherwise.

Talk about someone like Robbie Wiley next. I've got outlandish statements to make :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back