Ot: Matthew Campbell worse commentator ever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, not a good combination last night - McDermott and Campbell. In fact, I can't think of a worse pairing.

The best part of the TV coverage was when they lost the audio feed for a few minutes.

The best part of the commentary was when they lost the sound feed for a while. Silence truly was golden.

Chris McDermott ... I'm glad he wasn't a jockey because it'd be tough to watch him trying to jump from winner to winner during a race. People reckon Walls's opinions are shifting sands ... listen to North's former supercoach for a while.

And yes, Campbell is woeful.

RogerRabbit69 said:
Yep, not a good combination last night - McDermott and Campbell. In fact, I can't think of a worse pairing.

The best part of the TV coverage was when they lost the audio feed for a few minutes.
Walls and Quartermain by a street.

To be fair to McDermott he tipped Port before the game and West Coast were well on top in the early going due to mistakes on our part.

I don't have much time for Campbell.

They were shockers weren't they, and Bartlett. I don't normally buy into the criticisms of commentators but after we got home and after our guests left I watched the tape. I felt I'd rarely heard a team so denigrated before a game and for so long into it. My only comparison would be Sam Newmans's MMM commentary on the GF DVD.

My favourite Campbell moment of the night: Damon White miscues a kick for goal and it falls short, Campbell gasps "THAT is UNFORGIVABLE!" as if White had just raped his mother. Yeah, I'm sure the censure of a sub-mediocrity like Matty Campbell is going to mean a lot to Damon.

Dwayne Russell would be my choice- for obvious reasons.

Captain Clearasil is a pathetic commentator. He should stick to monopoly & trivia pursuit etc.

Yeah Bartlett is a pain in the @r$e too, it's always apparent that he never watches Port games (or possibly ANY games) except when he's calling them, and doesn't bother doing any research. They might as well put someone senile in his chair.

raman said:
My favourite Campbell moment of the night: Damon White miscues a kick for goal and it falls short, Campbell gasps "THAT is UNFORGIVABLE!" as if White had just raped his mother. Yeah, I'm sure the censure of a sub-mediocrity like Matty Campbell is going to mean a lot to Damon.
You kind of have to laugh/smirk when he makes comments like that - especially those who remember him as one of the most pea-hearted footballers to ever pull on a guernsey.

We get a fair bit of Fox commentary as well. Unfortunately earlier in the year, our style of play was mirroring the commentary and it was a terrible combination.

I tend to blur out the commentary when the likes of Lade, Pearce and JB are on fire though.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1Charlie said:
Dwayne Russell would be my choice- for obvious reasons.

Captain Clearasil is a pathetic commentator. He should stick to monopoly & trivia pursuit etc.
Well there you go! We all have different tastes.

I really like Dwayne's commentary. I think he's reasonably free from ego. I like the sound of his voice and I think he's well informed. I like his work on "The Epic Journey".

And how about the idiotic comment by Campbell or McDermott (sorry but their stupidity tends to blur together for me) when Ware was free kicked in the first (then passed off to Thomson) about how Ware "milked the free kick". 1st game player (who's inclusion came with a fair bit of pressure after the last abortive attempt) stands under a bit of a hospital pass, eyes only for the ball, and gets clattered across the arms and head reaching for the mark. And that's milking the free? Campbell, McDermott and Bartlett all have a much better understanding of milking a free from their personal experience.

Ford Fairlane said:
And how about the idiotic comment by Campbell or McDermott (sorry but their stupidity tends to blur together for me) when Ware was free kicked in the first (then passed off to Thomson) about how Ware "milked the free kick". 1st game player (who's inclusion came with a fair bit of pressure after the last abortive attempt) stands under a bit of a hospital pass, eyes only for the ball, and gets clattered across the arms and head reaching for the mark. And that's milking the free? Campbell, McDermott and Bartlett all have a much better understanding of milking a free from their personal experience.
Yeah that was rank stupidity. If he'd been hit any harder his progress prior to hitting the ground would have described a cartwheel!

Another classic was in I think the first quarter where Surjan and Kerr are on our half forward flank on the members side. Surjan dives full length and taps the ball back toward one of our players. The commentator said Kerr had knocked it forward. I rewound it to have a look because I thought I must be going blind!

Ford Fairlane said:

I'm glad you others picked up that comment - I thought I was hearing things.

But then what do you expect from Captain Obvious and the Boxing Commentator.

Ford Fairlane said:

Yeah that shat me off too.

Is there a more overrated thing than the "art" of commentary? Watch the game and make your own judgments...

With the age of better technology, I look forward to having the option of just having the crowd audio when watching games on TV.

The muted minutes last night only bothered me because I missed hearing the crowd's excitement when Wilbur (I think) scored that ripper goal.

PJ Power said:
With the age of better technology, I look forward to having the option of just having the crowd audio when watching games on TV.

The muted minutes last night only bothered me because I missed hearing the crowd's excitement when Wilbur (I think) scored that ripper goal.
Not so bad missing it on tape/TV if you were at the game earlier and were one of those standing, cheering. :D
BTW the thing about the mute that amused me was sound resumed perfectly as they switched to the ads. :rolleyes: I know why that is, a problem from the Footy Park end, just an observation on life.

Did anyone catch Choco's post match interview with the commentators? They asked him about Melbourne and he said something along the lines of "They're a very good team. They have Byron Pickett." with a wry smile. Wonder if that was one of Choco's cryptic comments?

Could've just been him getting on the front foot for inevitable stories about Pickett's first game against Port and such, and wanted to not give an opportunity to crap on about bad blood between him and Choppy.

Powerstufff said:
Not so bad missing it on tape/TV if you were at the game earlier and were one of those standing, cheering. :D

Absolutely, but even now when I watch games in replay like the 2004 GF, I get tingles up the spine hearing the crowd go off at certain stages of the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back