What the heck? Oh Wayne ... snortle

Remove this Banner Ad

Victimized?

If the AFL hadn't jumped on the latest virtue signalling thing, Carey would've been inducted as Legend Status in the NSW Hall of Fame and nobody would have even reported on it

Wayne's an idiot, but he is being railroaded by timing here

Meanwhile Ben Cousins happily reads the sports news on Channel 7

If the AFL hadn't jumped on the latest virtue signalling thing, Carey would've been inducted as Legend Status in the NSW Hall of Fame and nobody would have even reported on it

Wayne's an idiot, but he is being railroaded by timing here

Meanwhile Ben Cousins happily reads the sports news on Channel 7
Exactly. If the Hall Of Fame presentation was 10 days earlier nothing would have been said.

Exactly. If the Hall Of Fame presentation was 10 days earlier nothing would have been said.

The stupid thing is that Wayne is a highlighted scapegoat in this situation. A few current and (past) players should rightfully be nervous and hopeful that their DV misdeeds have been swept (and stay) under the AFL's gigantic carpet.

The stupid thing is that Wayne is a highlighted scapegoat in this situation.
How do you figure that? Has he been unfairly accused? Gotten a bigger punishment than he would have gotten otherwise?

How do you figure that? Has he been unfairly accused? Gotten a bigger punishment than he would have gotten otherwise?

Because there are more skeletons in the AFL's closet.
Are they going to give other former champions a whack as well. It's hypocritical of the AFL to take a stand against DV while they have too many spot fires to put out.

Yeah poor Wayne. He must feel so hard done by with millions of bucks in media salary...
I don't think Xtreme is trying to defend Carey here, just accurately pointing out that we should not get tunnel vision based on just one villain. Like Weinstein and Cosby during metoo, or the Sackler family with the oxycontin stuff, we get so focused on one guilty individual or group that the many (perhaps equally) guilty folk surrounding them get a free pass.

There are other posters here who are indeed defending Carey, which is wild to me. Kicking a footy with kids or being nice to a trans person does not undo a long list of scandals that clearly show a pattern of the guy being an unremorseful piece of shyte.

I don't think Xtreme is trying to defend Carey here, just accurately pointing out that we should not get tunnel vision based on just one villain. Like Weinstein and Cosby during metoo, or the Sackler family with the oxycontin stuff, we get so focused on one guilty individual or group that the many (perhaps equally) guilty folk surrounding them get a free pass.

Bingo

And like I was saying there are past/present players with a similar profile as Carey (as in champion of the game) that are currently flying under the radar (even when some are "public" knowledge).

guilty folk surrounding them get a free pass.
That's not what I would think of as a scapegoat.

He's not unfairly carrying anyone else's blame.

But maybe I am being pedantic.

It's by design - feed the masses a sacrificial lamb or two and hope the in-group don't turn against you next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Carey as a sacrificial lamb.

Poor choice of words on my part but the narrative stands.

'Look - we take DV seriously! See how we stopped Wayne Carey's ascension! Now if you'd be so kind to stay out of the closet of numerous of our other legends, that would be great thanks.'

Yes. He didn't "glass" anybody. He was holding a glass, as most people would be in a bar, when his ex attacked him and that's in raising his hand to defend himself she hit the glass

Yes. He didn't "glass" anybody. He was holding a glass, as most people would be in a bar, when his ex attacked him and that's in raising his hand to defend himself she hit the glass
Oh really? OK.

I don't understand why you shouldn't say "Dean Laidley" when that is the person who did the crimes at that time. To change your name afterwards is a common thing for people with criminal records (believe me) so, if that is the name of the person who historically committed crimes, why use their new name?

I don't understand why you shouldn't say "Dean Laidley" when that is the person who did the crimes at that time. To change your name afterwards is a common thing for people with criminal records (believe me) so, if that is the name of the person who historically committed crimes, why use their new name?

So, all you have to do is change your name and your past is never associated with you? Ok…

Exactly. If he glassed someone in a bar there would have been witnesses or footage, or both. And significant action would have been swift and immediate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back