Next Generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure many folk winced at Smith's technique when he first came on the test scene.....apparently quite a few folk are wincing now with his technique. Davies is one of a few batsmen on the Sheffield Shield scene, outside the test top 6, who has a FC average above 40, time will tell if the kid can continue to deliver....hope he does.

any notable names involved?
Manly should have Jack Edwards, Oliver and Joel Davies as well as Ryan Hadley who played a few shield games for NSW this year. Their captain is former NSW and Sydney Thunder wicket keeper Jay Lenton who got a double hundred in the qualifying final.

As Black Diamond said St. George will have Patterson who finished 192* in the Semi as well as NSW bats Blake Nikitaras and Blake McDonald.

So CA basically have confirmed they gave Bartlett a contract so they could control everything he did. They have revoked his NOC to play in the county championship for Kent. What a s**t show, let the kid play some cricket ffs.

You can’t be serious….

It’s a disgrace how they handle some of the fringe players.

What is technique? It’s what you do under pressure - people who think technique is overrated are seriously deluded - look what is coming thru the pipeline…
Technique as muscle memory? Not a bad way to look at it. And when the mental and physical fatigue sets in, and the pressure is high, that's what can get someone through that patch to the break in play, or change of bowling, or ball/pitch condition getting more helpful.
If your default doesn't work for you, you can play cameos (suitable for T20 and some 50 over perhaps) but less likely are the multiday game match winning/saving innings.

Very interesting discussion in Football circles (Soccer) re the lack of elite international payers being developed by Australia since the “golden generation”

Particularly the lack of technical expertise and the way talent pathways have focussed on athletes as opposed to technicians.

Certainly singing from my hymn book

I'd be interested to know how things are done overseas with soccer, particularly Europe

From my (limited) understanding it seems like most of our coaches hail from European backgrounds and systems

Or is what we are doing completely out of step with the rest of the world?

I'd be interested to know how things are done overseas with soccer, particularly Europe

From my (limited) understanding it seems like most of our coaches hail from European backgrounds and systems

Or is what we are doing completely out of step with the rest of the world?
As an outsider to football - and I am - I think in Australia across the Footy & Cricket both have had a fundamental change in how we teach the game.

Auskick & Milo Cricket / Woolies Blast both dramatically altered the way that the game is learnt.

It used to be in the school yard at lunch time and recess, maybe a bit of informal “mini league” but usually your first real games of both in my case were both Under 16’s at 11 in cricket and 12 at footy - when I was good enough to get a game.

But before that I had trained and practiced for literally thousands of hours at home with my brother, at school and in the nets / oval with my mates.

Now kids do 1-2 years of Auskick / Milo and people think they’re ready to start playing so we invented all these junior competitions and all they do is play, rarely train and certainly don’t learn much.

If as I suspect Football is the same the other will have similar problems.

Skills but particularly technical skills have declined in cricket as batting basics is virtually not taught at all.

Football is a very technical game - I know when I began coaching cricket some 25 years ago I became fascinated with an interview that Arsene Wenger gave when he talked about what he was looking for in young players for the Arsenal Academy. He said he was only looking for one thing and that was technique because he argued that he could teach them tactics and get them fit but if they “didn’t have technique by the time they were 14 or 15 then they will never have it”

We have replaced a vital unstructured learning phase with Mickey Mouse games in all of our sport - to the overall detriment of the games.

I don't quite agree

The countless hours of unstructured play has disappeared. The backyard games, street cricket, beach cricket, every recess, every lunch. Gone. Kids don't develop the same base.

The hour of Kanga cricket or Milo or Cricket Blast or whatever it's been called since the 80s hasn't changed, beyond minor tinkering. It's still a well meaning volunteer or parent running it, trying to control a rag-tag group of 7 year olds. No influence on their technique whatsoever, and there never has been. That hour was/is crucial though because you learn that cricket is fun there and that it's something you want to do. The learning occurs elsewhere.

The learning has always occurred outside this time. The one-on-one time with dad (this has disappeared largely), private coaching (this is more prevalent now than ever) but mostly through experimenting, competing and playing in unstructured environments against other kids who love cricket with no formal coaching involved (this has almost completely disappeared).

Also disappeared are the solo trips to the nets to bowl at a set of stumps for hours by yourself, or hitting a ball on a string. Phones, iPads etc has taken that away.

We previously had an environmental advantage in that Australian kids were outdoors and active from an early age. Kids would have caught thousands of cricket (tennis) balls by the time they started school. Now it's zero and they sign up for Cricket Blast and can't do anything. Nothing to do with the coaching.

Talented athletes are a shrinking pool as a percentage. The pool is now only the kids whose parents have enough money to have a backyard, and have time to spend with their kids playing soccer, cricket, footy, basketball with them in formative years.

And have the time free to take their kids to organised sport. And who can afford the equipment and registration fees.

The pool as a percentage shrinks.

The bulk of the ones who do sign up for these entry level programs are spuds. Can't run, can't catch, "how long til this is finished?" Mum signs them up because they realise too late that their kid is an unfit fatty unco and it would be good to do a sport. Good luck, coach

And there is a domino effect

Every little group of Cricket Blasters has a couple of kids who can play and the rest rubbish. So the good ones don't get tested, aren't challenged, aren't improved by those around them. The standard remains abysmal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back