New meat, not so fresh

Remove this Banner Ad

All:

Another USian here. Caught the footy bug back in the late 80s when our ESPN aired condensed VFL games, then it seemed to disappear in the early 90s.

Perusing the sports section in our morning fishwrapper some months back, I see a TV schedule. What the deuce?! There's a big "Australian Rules Football" section! It seems that Fox Sports decided to air AFL matches live... good thing I know how to set up the DVR.

Watched nearly all AFL matches aired in the US since then. I like it even better than I remember, mainly because I don't feel like I'm watching an extended highlight reel.

I grew up playing baseball and gridiron football, and follow a few teams seriously. For all that, I can honestly say that as far as spectator ball sports are concerned, Australian rules is the most entertaining, action-packed sport on the planet.

Decided to root for the Cats, not just because I like saying "Geelong Cats" in an atrocious accent.

Some of the rules and field umpire decisions are a mystery to this outsider, is there a specific forum to ask about that stuff?

All:

Another USian here. Caught the footy bug back in the late 80s when our ESPN aired condensed VFL games, then it seemed to disappear in the early 90s.

Perusing the sports section in our morning fishwrapper some months back, I see a TV schedule. What the deuce?! There's a big "Australian Rules Football" section! It seems that Fox Sports decided to air AFL matches live... good thing I know how to set up the DVR.

Watched nearly all AFL matches aired in the US since then. I like it even better than I remember, mainly because I don't feel like I'm watching an extended highlight reel.

I grew up playing baseball and gridiron football, and follow a few teams seriously. For all that, I can honestly say that as far as spectator ball sports are concerned, Australian rules is the most entertaining, action-packed sport on the planet.

Decided to root for the Cats, not just because I like saying "Geelong Cats" in an atrocious accent.

Some of the rules and field umpire decisions are a mystery to this outsider, is there a specific forum to ask about that stuff?
Welcome mate. I'm probably not the best to introduce ya, I'll leave that to some of the older blokes on here.

All:

Welcome mate, & great choice choosing the greatest team of all!

Squidbillies. Noice.

Early Cuyler is my alter ego...

"Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here, and proceed to here... <points to mouth>"

Welcome mate, & great choice choosing the greatest team of all!

Geelong fires multiple cylinders...
  • old club, check
  • great mascot, check
  • excellent city name, check
I swear I didn't just jump on a winning bandwagon.

Well it’s been 10 years since our last flag, so you definitely don’t classify as a bandwagoner, even though we do play Finals practically every year!

Well it’s been 10 years since our last flag, so you definitely don’t classify as a bandwagoner, even though we do play Finals practically every year!

Just finished watching the Giants decimate the Cats... ouch.

It's good I paid attention last season, because Fox Sports in the US is NOT carrying AFL 2022 matches. :(

No problem for me, I joined the Geelong FC and stream most of what I want. (Disappointing that they don't include the VFL.)

Guessing this was a case of "we need content during COVID lockdowns!" but since Fox USA aired everything live, it pretty much required US residents to figure out how to DVR everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back