Portfolio NEAFL - Comp Redesigns

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Goal
Redesign the NEAFL kits - a comp I was not necessarily familiar with. In the case with teams I was familiar, try and do something a bit different.

Rules
- 10 minutes to research a team, previous kits and colours.
- 20 min to design start to finish a kit.
- Each kit requires team logo, NEAFL logo and player numbers in the same spot (for consistency).
- The design can be inspired by previous kits, but cannot be exactly the same.
- Colour schemes have to be followed.
- Each kit will be displayed the same way for a clean look.
- Home kits only! Even if some kits look similar, the away kits are always different, so don't even think just design.

I will do notes after each design, but if you would like to skip ahead to a team you enjoy, feel free to click the links just below :)

Team Links

Aspley Hornets
Brisbane Lions
Canberra Demons
Gold Coast Suns
GWS Giants
Redland Bombers
Southport Sharks
Sydney Swans
Sydney University

And that's it, I hope you enjoyed looking at the designs! This was an interesting challenge, especially the time limit.

The part which was probably the hardest was that I only allowed myself one error check per kit, so if i f-ked up a layer and didn't notice it the first time, blerg!
I found the teams I was familiar with the most difficult as I didn't want to do a design that another FJGD designer had done.

Anyways, thanks for reading/perusing :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Aspley_Hornets.png

Notes
The Hornets have a soft spot in my heart as I grew up nearby. In saying that I really wanted something a little bit different.
Their current kit, although stripey, didn't really feel like a hornet.
I stopped short of adding wings, but some I feel the overall look is quite menacing, much like a hornet!

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Brisbane_Lions.png

Notes
Who is this bizarre team that I've never seen before? This one was tough, because I didn't want to do something basic, but didn't want to step away from their clean look. Instead I combined their yolk and their bears v to give.. a yolky v. That sounds worse than I intended. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Canberra_Demons.png

Notes
These guys have a really interesting design using parliament house as their main design device, but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense with the Demons moniker. Maybe change to the Rooks (I.e. parliament of rooks, get it?) Anyway, removed the gradient as it didn't really suit, made the design offset akin to european football stripes on a jersey.
I also extended the design down to the shorts for a unique look.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Gold_Coast_Suns.png

Notes
It's no secret that the current Suns design is plain and boring. Come on Gold Coast! Do something!
Anyway, let's make the sun shine on the jersey, shall we? A slow gradient, leave the side panels in the sun for 60 minutes until nice and red. Repeat for each side.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
GWS_Giants.png

Notes
This one was a Giant pain because I'm not a fan of the kit. I did spot some interesting supporters gear (namely a child's onesie), and took some inspiration from that. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Redland_Bombers.png

Notes
Redland have some really unique kit designs for a team based on the Essendon motif. For some reason they didn't lean into the "bomber" symbol in shapes but had it on their jerseys front and centre. Obviously I can't do this with my rules, so fat v adopted from some of their junior kits, the home white from their main kit, swapped the shorts to black like their big bros and baby, you got a stew goin'.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Southport_Sharks.png

Notes
Okay. Of all the teams these guys have hands down the best branding. It's incredibly clean and unique. Look at that slick monogram! The shark! It was love at first sight.

Anyway, relocated the monogram further down, cleaned up the overall look. Tried to integrate the shark more into the kit itself, but couldn't do it without changing the overall look, which is not what i was going for (and i love the current kit).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Sydney_Swans.png

Notes
Look what the cat dragged in. A SWAN. After I decided to resurrect a classic design I ran into some issues with my design rules (team logo location) but i feel the outcome looks quite neat. Shoulderpads to round off the ... v? Is it a v? or is it a chevron. I'm not good with shapes. It's rounded, anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Sydney_University.png

Notes
Last but not least, SUANFC! These guys have some amazing heritage. I didn't want to change too much, but made them more "cats" like. Rearranged the stripes to give them blue shoulders, changed shorts from white to blue. I didn't feel the kit needed more and more stripes so I changed their socks to a solid colour with some banding, just to tie off the colour.

Back