Review Memory lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? That’s absurd. I am too young to have seen him play but the videos and highlights just show how skilled and unique he was.

Martin kicks 5 goals 3-4 times a year and he's rated the best player in the comp.............Blight averaged that for 35 games in a row.

He's a lauded footballer, but he's still underappreciated.

Martin kicks 5 goals 3-4 times a year and he's rated the best player in the comp.............Blight averaged that for 35 games in a row.

He's a lauded footballer, but he's still underappreciated.

I remember the day after he quit as coach we played Footscray at whiten oval. He kicked 4 on his left and 4 on his right . He was a freak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how many of us had a duffle coat with a big 15 on the back?

Blighty was coach when I went all in on covering the entire duffle coat with names, numbers, symbols and badges, and I had “MAL’S SUPEROOS” at the top of the back and WAYNE 20 SCHIMMELBUSCH beneath it. One of my childhood heroes was Malcolm and I used to study and copy his kicking action incessantly.

Malcolm has a daughter named Melanie and all of her friends have always called her Mel or Malcolm Blight.

Blighty was coach when I went all in on covering the entire duffle coat with names, numbers, symbols and badges, and I had “MAL’S SUPEROOS” at the top of the back and WAYNE 20 SCHIMMELBUSCH beneath it. One of my childhood heroes was Malcolm and I used to study and copy his kicking action incessantly.

Malcolm has a daughter named Melanie and all of her friends have always called her Mel or Malcolm Blight.
I might have seen that duffle coat now you mention it. Seems familiar.

Round 1 1978 vs Footscray at the Western Oval.

Ross Glendinning debuts for North and kicks a torpedo goal from the Doug Hawkins wing.

Breidis kicks 7, Blight, Cassin & Glendinning 3 each, and North flogs the Dogs by 69 points.

I remember the day after he quit as coach we played Footscray at whiten oval. He kicked 4 on his left and 4 on his right . He was a freak
I knew Mal was special but did he have 3 legs?

He kicked 11 the game after he was sacked.

Rounded off with 8 the following week against StKilda.

A lot of character to do that after being jilted. He still speaks of the devestation of losing the North job.

Round 1 1978 vs Footscray at the Western Oval.

Ross Glendinning debuts for North and kicks a torpedo goal from the Doug Hawkins wing.

Breidis kicks 7, Blight, Cassin & Glendinning 3 each, and North flogs the Dogs by 69 points.

Best thing about those highlights ?

The bloody commentary. Doug Bigelow, Doug Heywood, Thorold Merrett, Tony Ongarello.

Last edited:
So how many of us had a duffle coat with a big 15 on the back?
I think I was the only kid with no.12 on his back.
Ken Montgomery- solid, steady, reliable premiership half back flanker with a weird kicking style. Think he won a B&F also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back