News Mark Neeld Interview

Remove this Banner Ad

syl

FAIR and BALANCED
Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2012 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2012 Player Sponsor
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
North
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d:+TheCourierMailAfl+(The+Courier+Mail+|+AFL)

Very impressive!

Re: culling high draft picks:

When the list management group sits down to go through our list, we put the players' name on the board, a summary of his performances, the results of his endurance and strength tests, a welfare report, and nowhere in all of that is the number he was drafted," Neeld says. "If we decide this player is at his ceiling and there is nowhere for him to go, where he was drafted is absolutely irrelevant.

Re: paying overs:

One of the things I would like to see (greater understanding about) is the salary cap. When you use raw figures people go "whoa". But we all have $10 million to spend and with a young list, your first and second-year players are locked in. We have to pay 95 per cent of the cap, and we can't put that money in our back pocket. For Mitch Clark too, what percentage of the salary cap are we prepared to pay? That is different for different clubs. You have to get away from the idea that jeepers, we have paid overs.

All in all, very good stuff!

It makes a change from the previous philosophy of: high draft picks + games played = success.

Players can mature at different stages of their career, which is why I was against the Bailey model of not drafting mature aged players from the state comps or trading for fringe players at successful clubs.

Am happy with the impact this man has had on our club so far , and although we still have a long way to go , i just hope we (the supporters) give him enough time to build on the foundations he has laid so far.

There won't be any tail wagging the dog from now on.

The bit about playing a brand of footy that stands up in finals will be a pretty big challenge so it will take time but mentally I think we've improved over the last 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back