Lost All-Australian teams of 84, 89, 90....?

Remove this Banner Ad

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone have the missing 1984, 1989 and 1990 All-Australian teams?

I have found various documentation indicating a couple of players were part of these teams but there does not seem to be any links which list the entire squads for these 3 particular VFL/AFL seasons.

Taken from the 'All-Australian' talk discussion on Wikipedia:

"In the publications I have, the 1990 team is called the 'AFL Team of the Year', as opposed to an All-Australian team. Such teams were selected in all but one season from 1982 to 1990. Four of those years coincided with a carnival, so two seperate teams were named. I'm not sure whether both are considered All-Australian or not but I reckon we could at least make a section listing these teams like we have done with the Sporting Life Team of the Year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:All-Australian_team

Does anyone have the missing 1984, 1989 and 1990 All-Australian teams?

I have found various documentation indicating a couple of players were part of these teams but there does not seem to be any links which list the entire squads for these 3 particular VFL/AFL seasons.

The 1984, 1989, 1990 AA teams are not lost at all.
They never existed.

The All-Australian teams chosen after National Carnivals or a series of interstate matches were selected from players representing a state or territory in 1953 - 56 - 58 - 61 - 66 - 69 - 72 - 79 - 80 - 83 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88.

An All Australian team chosen from players representing clubs in the AFL competition was first selected in 1991. Such teams have been chosen each year since then.

• Banned
ah thanks guys.

Just out of curiosity, how come some players are said to be AA's in those years if it never existed?

Can't find the 1990 team anywhere!

The ones in bold were selected in that position, Kernahan and Silvagni I'm guessing their position. NFI who else made, but possibly Salmon, Longmire, Liberatore, Ablett?

B: Andy Collins (Haw) - Stephen Silvagni (Carl) -
HB: Brett Lovett (Melb) -
C: Darren Millane (Coll) - Tony Shaw (c) (Coll) - Graham Wright (Coll)
HF: Peter Daicos (Coll) - Stephen Kernaham (Carl) -
F: Scott Russell (Coll) -
R:
Int: Mick McGuane (Coll) - Michael Tuck (Haw)
Coach: Leigh Matthews (Coll)

Can't find the 1990 team anywhere!

The ones in bold were selected in that position, Kernahan and Silvagni I'm guessing their position. NFI who else made, but possibly Salmon, Longmire, Liberatore, Ablett?

B: Andy Collins (Haw) - Stephen Silvagni (Carl) -
HB: Brett Lovett (Melb) -
C: Darren Millane (Coll) - Tony Shaw (c) (Coll) - Graham Wright (Coll)
HF: Peter Daicos (Coll) - Stephen Kernaham (Carl) -
F: Scott Russell (Coll) -
R:
Int: Mick McGuane (Coll) - Michael Tuck (Haw)
Coach: Leigh Matthews (Coll)

As noted previously, there was no All Australian team chosen in 1990.

AA teams were chosen from State/Territory teams between 1953 & 1988.
AA teams were chosen from club teams from 1991 to present.

Confirmation that the 1991 team is the first AFL All Australian team can be found here:
http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/129702 ''Football Record'' 28 September 1991, page 17

I know there was no official 1990 team, but there was a team of the year. That's the team that I posted above.
From the AFL Record Season Guide 2013:-
AFL TEAMS OF THE YEAR
B: A. Collins S. Silvagni J. Worsfold
HB: B. Lovett G. Lyon G. O'Donnell
C: D. Millane A. Shaw (capt.) G. Wright
HF: P. Daicos S. Loewe Gary Ablett
F: S. Kernahan J. Longmire S. Russell
Foll: S. Madden C. Lewis
Rover: T. McGuinness
Inter: M. McGuane M. Thompson A. Liberatore M. Tuck
Coach: L. Matthews

NATIONAL ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAMS
SA- C. Bradley S. Kernahan G. McIntosh P. Motley J. Platten
Vic- G. Ablett snr. D. Ackerly T. Daniher R. Flower R. Greene G. Healy W. Johnston S. Madden R. Merrett M. Tuck
WA- L. Baker A. Daniels R. Glendinning B. Hardie P. Harding S. Malaxos (capt.) M. Rance M. Rioli R. Wiley
Coach (non-playing): J. Todd (WA)

I'm really not sure what the story is with this 1984 selection. It is not included in last year's AFL Record Season Guide, or any of the earlier editions I checked, which is rather odd.

Also, under Every All-Australian Player there's e.g. Bradley, Craig 1983 1984 1985 1986 1986 etc. and Kernahan, Stephen 1984 1985 1986 etc.

But under Players Selected In Most All-Australian Teams: 1980-2012 the 1984 National All-Australian Team selections are ignored. For Terry Daniher and Simon Madden 1984 is shown only once, yet the book has them in 2 teams that year - National All-Australian Team and AFL Team of the Year. Yet it says "NOTE: This table includes players selected in Official National All-Australian Teams (1980-88) ~~."

So make of this 1984 team what you will, it's in the latest version of the AFL's "bible"!

For the sake of being thorough, here are the AFL (VFL) Teams of the Year from 1984 and 1989:-

From the AFL Record Season Guide 2013:-

AFL TEAMS OF THE YEAR
B: D. Ackerly C. Mew P. Moore
HB: B. Doull R. Glendinning R. Thornton
C: R. DiPierdomenico L. Baker R. Flower
HF: Gary Ablett T. Daniher (capt.) Gerard Healy
F: M. Lee B. Quinlan A. Shaw
Foll: S. Madden R. Greene
Rover: K. Hodgeman
Inter: R. Ashman D. Banks A. Purser D. Hawkins G. Burns B. Evans
Coach: K. Sheedy

B: A. Johnson C. Langford G. Pert
HB: B. Lovett G. Lyon G. McKenna
C: D. Pritchard P. Couch G. Brown
HF: N. Winmar S. Kernahan Gary Ablett
F: B. Stoneham J. Dunstall A. Bews
Foll: S. Madden M. Bairstow
Rover: J. Platten
Inter: T. Daniher T. Watson M. Bayes G. Williams

Also, under Every All-Australian Player there's e.g. Bradley, Craig 1983 1984 1985 1986 1986 etc. and Kernahan, Stephen 1984 1985 1986 etc.

But under Players Selected In Most All-Australian Teams: 1980-2012 the 1984 National All-Australian Team selections are ignored. For Terry Daniher and Simon Madden 1984 is shown only once, yet the book has them in 2 teams that year - National All-Australian Team and AFL Team of the Year. Yet it says "NOTE: This table includes players selected in Official National All-Australian Teams (1980-88) ~~."

The team of the year was the VFL best players from that particular season right?
Under the All Australian wiki link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Australian_team ...it says the following -
  • Concurrently, from 1982, the Victorian Football League (VFL) began to announce its own team of the year. In 1991, following the VFL's conversion to a national competition and its renaming as the Australian Football League (AFL), the two concepts were merged.

The team of the year was the VFL best players from that particular season right?
Under the All Australian wiki link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Australian_team ...it says the following -
  • Concurrently, from 1982, the Victorian Football League (VFL) began to announce its own team of the year. In 1991, following the VFL's conversion to a national competition and its renaming as the Australian Football League (AFL), the two concepts were merged.
Yes, a VFL/AFL Team of the Year was announced 1982-1990 (except 1985 apparently). From 1991 to now (basically the same team) has been known as the AFL All-Australian Team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back