Longest serving commentator in Aussie sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It just hit me that for about 40 years Ian Chappell has been on our tv's in one form or another covering the cricket on 9.
What other commentators have you always heard since you been following one of our major sports, year in year out ?

Sadly Drew Morphett passed on last year and I remember him being there always. Tim Lane is another. He used to host ABC footy when I was a kid and still hear him today if tune into the radio. Maybe he is the only one left. The guy Smokey Dawson seemed to have been around forever but more a reporter than commentator in my time of following the sports I love.

Denis Cometti had been calling games of footy since the early '80's I believe.

Maybe back in Perth with their local state footy but I never really heard him for this league until around late 1980's. I think when channel 7 did not cover the footy in 1987 he ended up on Broadcom/Sportsplay or whatever company had the rights that year. I only remember hearing him regularly about 1989. That might have been the first grand final he was a commentator for grand final on channel 7 ?
I remember young Drew Morphett and Tim Lane were around in 1979 on ABC.

Ian Chappell in his last few years of playing international cricket I think still commentated on channel 9 when he was not playing himself so in essence heard him since 1977 when World Series Cricket started out.

Maybe back in Perth with their local state footy but I never really heard him for this league until around late 1980's. I think when channel 7 did not cover the footy in 1987 he ended up on Broadcom/Sportsplay or whatever company had the rights that year. I only remember hearing him regularly about 1989. That might have been the first grand final he was a commentator for grand final on channel 7 ?
I remember young Drew Morphett and Tim Lane were around in 1979 on ABC.

Ian Chappell in his last few years of playing international cricket I think still commentated on channel 9 when he was not playing himself so in essence heard him since 1977 when World Series Cricket started out.

I'm pretty sure a state game I was watching recently had Denis calling it, and that was from 1984 iirc.

When did Tim Lane start ?
I assume after Maxwell.
1972 in Tassie

Tassie HOF

Radio/Television/Newspapers
Commentator/Journalist – 1972-current

> ABC radio covering NWFU, NTFA and TFL, 1972-1979
> From 1979 onwards: radio, television and press commentator covering VFL / AFL with outlets including ABC and 3AW (radio), ABC and Network Ten (television), and The Age newspaper
> MCG Media Hall of Fame, 1999
> Inaugural Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame Inductee and Legend, 2005
> Highly regarded and regular compere of the Australian and Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies

1972 in Tassie

Tassie HOF

Radio/Television/Newspapers
Commentator/Journalist – 1972-current

> ABC radio covering NWFU, NTFA and TFL, 1972-1979
> From 1979 onwards: radio, television and press commentator covering VFL / AFL with outlets including ABC and 3AW (radio), ABC and Network Ten (television), and The Age newspaper
> MCG Media Hall of Fame, 1999
> Inaugural Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame Inductee and Legend, 2005
> Highly regarded and regular compere of the Australian and Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies

Shit, quick reply. Well done.
So Donegan and Lane probably started around same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back