El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Welcome to Logo of the Week!

Each fortnight, you will be required to produce a new logo for an existing sports team. That team can be a club or representative side from any competition, anywhere in the world.

10 days will be allowed for entries, with 4 days for voting.

This competition is designed for us all to practice our graphic design skills. We want fresh and unique ideas and entries. Use this competition to try things you've never tried before. You'd be surprised how easy things can be to draw when you sit down and give it a go.

There will never be too much of a design brief beyond the club name, so let your imagination run wild!

Rules:

- No stolen artwork! This is THE central tenet of this competition! Everything in your logo must be 100% drawn yourself, either in your graphics program of choice or on paper, and scanned in. Or even a combination of both! Under no circumstances are you to use an existing logo from elsewhere as part of your design. As per the Williamstown comp, i'll allow existing workmarks into the competition provided they are part of an originally drawn design.

- There is no limit on how many entries you can make, provided they are unique. If you are going to have multiple entries, make them different from each other or they wont go in the poll.

- The winner of each fortnight will choose the team for the next competition.

---------------------------------------------

Week 26: Essendon FC

Previous Winners:
Week 1: Port Adelaide - Workhorse
Week 2: Western Bulldogs - Workhorse
Week 3: Sydney Swans - Mowse
Week 4: Adelaide Crows - lemons123
Week 5: Melbourne Storm - Geeky Grub
Week 6: Cricket Australia - Geeky Grub
Week 7: Williamstown Seagulls - Geeky Grub
Week 8: Coburg Tigers - Mowse
Week 9: Brisbane Roar - Mowse
Week 10: Jokerit Ice Hockey Club - lmach
Week 11: West Coast Eagles - Spider Eater
Week 12: Dumbarton FC - El_Scorcho
Week 13: Miami Dolphins - BenFromTagTeam
Week 14: Port Melbourne Borough - Geeky Grub
Week 15: Box Hill Mustangs - Mowse & BloodyRipper
Week 16: A League Allstars & South Fremantle FC - Mowse (South Freo)
Week 17: Manchester United - Geeky Grub
Week 18: AFL Grand Final - Geeky Grub
Week 19: North Melbourne - CaNNaVo93
Week 20: South Melbourne 140 years - lmach
Week 21: Springfield Isotopes - El_Scorcho
Week 22: San Jose Sharks - lmach
Week 23: Fremantle Dockers - lmach[/URL]
Week 24: SC Freiburg - Geeky Grub
Week 25: Melbourne Stars - El_Scorcho

Good luck!

Back to another AFL club this week, and IMO probably one of the most uninspired logos in the league. I tossed up between Essendon and Collingwood but we should have a bit of fun with Essendon, hopefully without resorting to syringe based logos.

I wouldnt have called Essendon's logo as uninspired. IMO, Carlton, GWS and Gold Coast are closer to uninspired. Without the idea of history, Carlton is simply two C's and an F mashed together. Giants is just a G and Gold Coast is a heap of Gradients, an oval and the G and C
Cheers for the run down, I had no idea what those logos were meant to be.

Carlton is a timeless classic.

More complicated doesn't mean more inspired. It's just a very boring, run of the mill logo that doesn't project the arrogance and depth of historical greatness that Essendon shove down our throats in every other form of marketing they do.

The logo doesn't represent Essendon well and they can do better.

Cheers for the run down, I had no idea what those logos were meant to be.
That was really unnecessary, I was trying to prove a point.
Carlton is a timeless classic.

More complicated doesn't mean more inspired. It's just a very boring, run of the mill logo that doesn't project the arrogance and depth of historical greatness that Essendon shove down our throats in every other form of marketing they do.

The logo doesn't represent Essendon well and they can do better.
Thats not what I mean. Look at GC's logo, its complicated but still uninspiring. It may be "timeless" but its simple pretty boring.

I don't think GC's logo is timeless. It's a bit average. The gradients are unnecessary and they'll ultimately update it once it dates.

Busy doesn't mean nice. Look at Melbourne. They went for a super busy logo but it's not that nice aesthetically.

Simple sometimes means phenomenal. Look at the Nike swoosh.

Essendon isn't overly complicated but it's not really simple. It's inconsequential to what my point was anyway. It's a boring logo that doesn't do a good job of representing the club it belongs to.

C3Q2aFC.png

Quite happy with this, never done a vector drawing of... anything... before. Turned out okay :).

YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS That looks awesome and i'm so glad you had a crack with the vector tools! It looks about 1000 times better than my vector drawing. Well done mate!

I have a concept near the first draft phase

YYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS That looks awesome and i'm so glad you had a crack with the vector tools! It looks about 1000 times better than my vector drawing. Well done mate!

I have a concept near the first draft phase
Thanks man! Eagerly awaiting your logo.

The thing I'm most pleased with mine about is that I didn't trace anything, just used a photo for reference. Thought i'd give up on that idea in a couple of minutes :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has this competition been done before? It looks familiar. I'm gonna do a search, but I'm sure there was a thread somewhere with some awesome Essendon logos before. :)

Has this competition been done before? It looks familiar. I'm gonna do a search, but I'm sure there was a thread somewhere with some awesome Essendon logos before. :)

It hasn't been done as a LogoOTW round, but we've definitely had Essendon Logo comps/workshops on this board before. Several of them.

Anyway, i've lightened up the plane as suggested, but I think i'll be dropping the roundel for a different shape

liYG1uu.png

Okay i'm aware of how much this is apeing the Winnipeg Jets logo but I couldn't find a way around it without losing what I was going for.

I'll probably use this in the Essendon round of the Europeanisation thread as well.

FqrJqck.png

One week for this one, get those entries in.

I know there are some terrific entries out there that could blow this competition right open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back