Resource List thread - Inaccuracy in official records

Remove this Banner Ad

Two more proposed DOB changes from WAFL Footy Facts reconciliation:
Jim Sewell (Footscray, East Freo) has DOB 3 Feb 1956 in VFL records but is listed as having DOB 3 Feb 1955 in WAFL records. As per The Two Dogs podcast episode he appeared in last year, he understated his age by a year in his VFL registration as he was concerned about people thinking he was too old - the WAFL date is correct.

Summary: Jim Sewell date of birth is 3 Feb 1955

Colin Waterson (Richmond, East Freo) has DOB 14 Jul 1959 in VFL records but is listed as having DOB 25 Jun 1959 in WAFL records. As per profile of him on p7 of this edition of Westside Football in 1985 and birthday notice on p5 of this edition in 1988 the 25 Jun 1955 date appears to be correct.

Summary: Colin Waterson date of birth is 25 Jun 1959
Oliver G rbartlett

What are we doing about middle names? Either current or historic players

I think Ive spotted one which would be easy to confirm with the player now coach

I keep seeing Full Name in AF and I wondered what the go was

We (AF) are definitely after middle names, WhiteHartLane23 has sent us a list of thousands of V/AFL players with their middle names. I just need to get round to do a mass import of the new data.

We (AF) are definitely after middle names, WhiteHartLane23 has sent us a list of thousands of V/AFL players with their middle names. I just need to get round to do a mass import of the new data.
I was looking through SABDM for some family names and spotted this - these were generated from Newspaper Birth Notices - I have redacted non essential stuff

BASSETT Nathan Birth NOTICE DATE 13-Dec-1976

BASSETT Nathan James Birthday 07-Dec-1993

When he was born his parents put a birth notice a week later - then on his 17th birthday a Happy Birthday was placed with a middle name and confirming his DOB in records

I think there was a query last year on middle names and I had a quick look then

I was looking through SABDM for some family names and spotted this - these were generated from Newspaper Birth Notices - I have redacted non essential stuff

BASSETT Nathan Birth NOTICE DATE 13-Dec-1976

BASSETT Nathan James Birthday 07-Dec-1993

When he was born his parents put a birth notice a week later - then on his 17th birthday a Happy Birthday was placed with a middle name and confirming his DOB in records

I think there was a query last year on middle names and I had a quick look then

Ta, have updated on AF.

A question around the stat-counting of one of football's premier goalkickers – Tim Evans.

What is his commonly accepted games and goals tally for his time at Port Adelaide? I mean as of right now, in 2024 parlance, based on the stat-counting of today. No inclusion of pre-season games, or night series games, or state games (were those 'included' in SANFL players' match counts for many years?). Did he bring up the magical 1000 mark?

There's discrepancies all over the place, which are seemingly determined by which extra games the statistician has chosen to include. Even the club themselves have no idea.

It should go without saying that records like these should include regular season + finals matches only. But in the absence of a SANFL stats database like that of the AFL, WAFL and to a lesser extent VFA, we must simply work out what seems most plausible.

I am leaning towards the Wikipedia figure, given it has a note next to the totals which specifically says "These totals refer to premiership matches (home-and-away and finals matches) only". The body text of the article also says that Evans kicked "a further 51 goals in 18 games in pre-season and night series competition". Which, when added, brings us to the highest total of 248 games for 1044 goals.

But where would those other discrepancies come from? And how can there be so much variation? In that table above alone, from seven different websites there are five different tallies. Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back