Toast Lance Franklin - do you remember him more as a Hawk or Swan?

Do you remember Lance Franklin more as a

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawk he will be most remembered cause he won 2 premierships.

He would have been remembered just as much as Swans if not more had he won a flag, but 2 losses don't look great not saying it was totally his fault but in one of them he looked a total ghost.

He would have been remembered just as much as Swans if not more had he won a flag, but 2 losses don't look great not saying it was totally his fault but in one of them he looked a total ghost.
The one he got injured in the first quarter?

Jeremy Cameron a cat or a giant?

In answer to OP Buddy is both

3 losses actually

actually crazy we've lost 3 in a row with 2 being complete slaughters

Much different being the entire focal point for a whole team opposed to having the luxury of rotating on/off the ball and pushing forward without much fuss from the opposing team.

One player can only do so much, The Swans made 3 grand finals while he was there and to say he wasn't a success at the Swans? well you still have to win more than a few games each season to make a grand final.

One player can only do so much, The Swans made 3 grand finals while he was there and to say he wasn't a success at the Swans? well you still have to win more than a few games each season to make a grand final.

He said he moved to Sydney to win premierships. He failed to win 1!!

That's not a success.

His best was at Hawthorn, but he will be remembered as a Swan

At the hawks he was regarded as a talent, but was never really given his dues. The moment he crossed to the swans he became the face of the game almost

He was definitely portrayed with more of an aura when he went to the Swans, but it was such a big moment when he crossed, that his standing in the game was pretty much as the number one player.

Because Roughy was with him as a two pronged attack and he was going to the Swans as the man, it kind of artificially inflated perceptions.

Hawks has the less prolific formative years. Swans had the less prolific fading years. His prime was for both clubs.

He will probably appear at more Swans events in the future, but he has premiership reunions for the Hawks.

I can't split them, and there's really no need to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was definitely portrayed with more of an aura when he went to the Swans, but it was such a big moment when he crossed, that his standing in the game was pretty much as the number one player.

Because Roughy was with him as a two pronged attack and he was going to the Swans as the man, it kind of artificially inflated perceptions.

Hawks has the less prolific formative years. Swans had the less prolific fading years. His prime was for both clubs.

He will probably appear at more Swans events in the future, but he has premiership reunions for the Hawks.

I can't split them, and there's really no need to.

We did have Tippet, so probably was intended to be 2 pronged…(but then immediately had no ruck so tippet was rarely forward)

He played an almost-equal number of games at the two clubs, which doesn't often happen for any player, let alone a legend.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd actually choose Sydney. The first reason is recency bias - you can't deny its effect even if it's a bias.

The second is how much of a big deal his move to Sydney was - I would still say it ranks as the 'biggest' player movement ever.

Thirdly, on-field and off-field he was the star at Sydney, standing out from the rest and therefore more memorable (like a mountain with greater topographical prominence because it stands much higher than the surrounding peaks).

Fourth, that 1000th goal is the moment that will be repeated most in highlight reels, online and on pub walls for generations. The most indelible image was in a Swans jumper, tipping the scale towards the Swans.

He played an almost-equal number of games at the two clubs, which doesn't often happen for any player, let alone a legend.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd actually choose Sydney. The first reason is recency bias - you can't deny its effect even if it's a bias.

The second is how much of a big deal his move to Sydney was - I would still say it ranks as the 'biggest' player movement ever.

Thirdly, on-field and off-field he was the star at Sydney, standing out from the rest and therefore more memorable (like a mountain with greater topographical prominence because it stands much higher than the surrounding peaks).

Fourth, that 1000th goal is the moment that will be repeated most in highlight reels, online and on pub walls for generations. The most indelible image was in a Swans jumper, tipping the scale towards the Swans.

I think Tony Lockett was bigger. A struggling team, a backwater sport in Sydney at the time. Lockett, Roos, Barassi paved the way for what Sydney became and made me a regular at the SCG. Still remember running onto the field from the concourse in front of the Bill O'Reilly stand after Lockett's 1300th goal. No BS smart phones then.

I know most folks on the forum weren't even born when Lockett was terrorising defenders, but his arrival was pivotal for the Swans as a club, and a massive shot in the arm for the AFL. Would the AFL have the broadcast rights it has now if it wasn't for Lockett travelling up the Hume? AFL in Sydney might still be niche game. It happened at the right time with Super League.

I also remember the play of Kevin Dyson at the time who came up from the Dees the year after Lockett and Roos. Solid no-nonsense midfielder. Loved his approach to footy. A shame he gave the game away prematurely.

s**t I thought it was 2 grand finals... 3 ouch... looks bad

EDIT: I forgot about the Hawks v Sydney game
I always remember Dogs v Swans and Geelong v Swans.

A West Australian who should've played for us ;). But I guess equally, as his career was split between the 2, and was very successful individually at both. Didn't win a flag with the Swannies but did contend in 3 grand finals so was on the big stage.

He said he moved to Sydney to win premierships. He failed to win 1!!

That's not a success.
To be fair he said it’s the reason he chose swans over GWS.
He went to be with Jacinta, who seemingly needed to stay in Sydney for media career
He probably just need a change

And Sydney’s woes? Entirely on the midfield dept.

Although he won a Coleman and 2 Premierships at the Hawks, for some reason, I think I will always remember him more as a Swan. Part of it may be down to recency bias, but I think it's a bit more than just that. Can't fully explain it.

The beauty is at Hawks we all thought I’ve never seen a guy like this and all remember those days so that’s for the generation before but the new generation will say Buddy’s 1000th never seen a day like that for the next 80 years they will say that.

Recency as a Swan

But Hawthorn had his best 😉😉
Very similar to Judd in that respect. Was his most electric and damaging for his first club while winning the ultimate prize. Second club he admirably drew people through the gate in a bigger market while never quite hitting the same highs. Original team also benefited by moving him on.

Sydney. He’s best known for that time he took out the bins and he didn’t pay attention to bin night while at Hawthorn

Back