Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

This snippet from a foxsports article sort of supports my contention below I think. Our problems are just as much outside in the collective midfield as they are forward.

View attachment 1976588
It's clearly an issue IMO. The only mid in there with any kind of pace and he's a zippy move, not a power player. We are dominating clearances but have extremely low inside 50s partly because of game plan, partly because of personal IMO. It's why Simpson is so exciting if we can eventually get him on ball stints (will be powerful, fast and strong IMO) and I know you think he'd be excess but it's why I think Warner would be huge. Warner gets it moving in the right direction and is stronger / faster than others

It's clearly an issue IMO. The only mid in there with any kind of pace and he's a zippy move, not a power player. We are dominating clearances but have extremely low inside 50s partly because of game plan, partly because of personal IMO. It's why Simpson is so exciting if we can eventually get him on ball stints (will be powerful, fast and strong IMO) and I know you think he'd be excess but it's why I think Warner would be huge. Warner gets it moving in the right direction and is stronger / faster than others
I don't think it's our onballers as such, it's the wingers, half back and high half forwards not connecting. Also maybe secondary stoppages? Really we need more data. Where are these post clearance ground ball losses happeing? Is it immediately post clearance or downfield in the forwardline?

"Arguably the best midfield in the competition".

Righteo
There's some pretty good midfield groups, if you were to pick out the best who would they be?

Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast

Brisbane have struggled this year so left them out.
Bulldogs are pretty good.
Sydney have lacked availability but would be up there when fit.

I think we'd fit somewhere in the top third of the comp, probably not the best but pretty damn capable.

Yeah, six years later. Have the seen the 6 years Lachie has produced in that same time? And I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Hogan would be producing the same output had we carried him this whole time, and still been giving him opportunities in the team six years later...
I get you're point but he's been very good since he joined the Giant. This isn't a 'he's having 1 good year' thing.

There's some pretty good midfield groups, if you were to pick out the best who would they be?

Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Carlton
Gold Coast

Brisbane have struggled this year so left them out.
Bulldogs are pretty good.
Sydney have lacked availability but would be up there when fit.

I think we'd fit somewhere in the top third of the comp, probably not the best but pretty damn capable.
If Oliver was back to being Oliver I'd go Melbourne. But he looks cooked so Port for mine.

Reminds of the Lyon days really where the only team that ever got on top of us was Hawthorn, who were without parallel when it came to hassling the opposition midfield into giving the ball up immediately post clearance.
Hence why I am enjoying the hawks in the bottom 6.

I enjoy Clarkson struggling at North Melbourne too. LoL

All that Mustique that Clarkson was invincible or unstoppable or a tactical genius because he won 4 flags with the hawks LoL

I think the most recent data point tells us that when we have close our best list available & starting to gel together our style & ability to score looks a whole lot better.

Things like:
Chapman into our back end over Hughes means we suddenly have another intelligent, creative rebound player to help Clark (& Chappy is barely ticking over yet, just getting back up to speed).

One true winger in Sharp who runs a half marathon at pace & holds shape all day. MJ & JOM doing a reasonably good job on the other side with a true utility like Banfield doing great work end to end.

Freddy with his pace & finishing is crucial to our forward setup, we need Walters at his best & a wrecking ball pressure forward like Emmett who has also shown good ability to run & receive at full pace in forward transition. Simpson is going to be the cream & eventually a breakaway mid. Switta goes in there somewhere too.

And one of the youngest, most exciting & versatile, full forwards we’ve ever had.

Treacy is becoming the crucial connection to take marks up the ground in transition. And he’s taking strong pack marks & finishing as a forward. If Jackson & Darcy can find their marking we have get out of jail options for the bomb up to the wing from defense which is crucial.

And most, most of all we have the guy who was the best ball hunter & offensive mid in the game back allowing Serong to accumulate & distribute by hand in close all day, Brayshaw to be more attacking in chains of possession & Young to float more in the middle on the defensive side & quarterback with his field kicking.

Oh and close to the best tap ruck in the game & a freak ruck rover/forward who is barely ticking over by his lofty standards.

We haven’t really been able to assemble all the crucial difference making pieces like Darcy, Chapman, Amiss, Jackson, fit, confident Fyfe, Freddy etc at the same time till now.

Some of the play against the Dogs, mostly inspired by Fyfe was the cleanest, fastest attacking football we’ve played since peak 2022 when we were flying.

I’m not sure we have the same pure level of talent as GWS, the beautiful spread of youth & experience like Geelong/Melbourne but we will worry most if we keep most of this week’s squad out on the park. Especially as they develop some cohesion & synergy playing together.

Now we see if the game plan works.

Have it on very good authority that we changed our game plan against the eagles.
Apparently they have been winning a lot of clearances but dump kicking forward so we played more defensively with an extra man positioned a kick behind the contest as much as possible.
Turns out they ran it out of the contest rather than dump kicked so we were caught in no man’s land with the ball kicked over our heads.
My own opinion on the next game but it looks like we forward hand passed as much as possible (matching the Doggies own plan in their premiership year), significantly more than previously- a much more offensive approach. I’m hoping we back ourselves to do the same this week and play a more offensive game style as our forwards could have a field day with Treacy n Freddy especially both in fine form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have it on very good authority that we changed our game plan against the eagles.
Apparently they have been winning a lot of clearances but dump kicking forward so we played more defensively with an extra man positioned a kick behind the contest as much as possible.
Turns out they ran it out of the contest rather than dump kicked so we were caught in no man’s land with the ball kicked over our heads.
My own opinion on the next game but it looks like we forward hand passed as much as possible (matching the Doggies own plan in their premiership year), significantly more than previously- a much more offensive approach. I’m hoping we back ourselves to do the same this week and play a more offensive game style as our forwards could have a field day with Treacy n Freddy especially both in fine form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who’s the good authority? A spare behind the ball is not a change of gameplan at all, just a slight structural adjustment…and really not a departure for us, as JL has typically played a spare behind the ball for all of his tenure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justins game plan seems to be to defend hard. knock it forward and handball a lot.

WE break down as a team when we dont use the handballs and return to just bombing it to packs of players in the forward 50.

Big respect to JL today for calling out the Amiss monstering today in the press conference, went as far to say that the Umps aren't listening at the moment to their concerns and the opposition defenders are getting away with blue murder.

People think he's meek and unwilling to cause a fuss - he won't comment on umpiring blunders per se but he will defend his players.

Let's see if there's any response.

Glad we beat the tigers 15.13.103 to 6.13.49. a 54 point win.

Never ever thrashed Richmond at the MCG. yes te tigers are missing a few players but it was a good win.

We were up 8.11.59 to tigers 4.11.35 a 3 quarter time. Dockers kicked 7.2.44 to tigers 2.2.14.

It could of been 13.13.91 to tigers 8.13.61. Again, I would of been happy with a 20-30 point win and no injuries and in cruise control in the finals 5 or 6 minutes.

Funny thing was our last win vs the tigers in the MCG was in 2017 , another David mundy goal after the siren win.

yet we lead 59 to 35 at 3 quater time too. but it was 9.5.59 to 5.5.35.

Traecy kicking 3 goals in that final quarter was brilliant. Hayden young up forward was a suprise in a way. We already had the game won. But young with those 2 late goals showed some versatility.

Funny thing was Hayden Youngs break out game was vs Richmond in 2022 when we got that draw at docklands. Young got 31 disposals that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back