Roast Jones & Moloney

Remove this Banner Ad

demonfromupnorth

Debutant
Apr 14, 2010
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Melbourne
Been bugging me for a while and need to get it out there...

Does anyone find Nathan Jones and Brent Moloney extremely frustrating?

Not into being super critical on players like these two, but i feel their disposal lets down a lot of their good work. Admire the hardness and bullocking work they provide, but see red when they both blindly bomb the ball long to no-one.

I don't know why these two continue to do it when the ball usually comes back just as quick plus interest. I understand that when shorter options have dried up the long kick to a contest is an effective tool. But in the team we have now and teams from the past four years this exercise has proven to be useless.

Turnovers are not only 'coach killers' they are infuriating for the average supporter/punter. Our team at the minute has (at times) struggled to get hands on the footy and to see 'semi senior' players butcher opportunities........ Well, I can't stand it.

Surely to Christ the coaching staff and players are aware of it, I mean, they must watch the tape during the week and think...... "Fu*k, that was a sh*t kick..... I/we probably should stop doing that".

Future MFC sides need 'smart' decisions makers........ I'm not saying that Jones and Moloney are not 'smart' i'm just saying that they can often make 'dumb' decisions.:mad:

Personally, I think that one area that Brent Moloney has improved on since he joined the club is lowering his eyes and kicking to a shorter target instead of bombing it long. I remember when he first came to the club, whenever he got the ball, he would do exactly what you are suggesting he does, which is just slam it on the boot, kick it long and hope for best. Now a days, I have noticed that if he has the ball in space, he will assess his options a bit better and kick short if needs be.

I think both of these two have been guilty of ambition beyond their ability.

Jones always tries to take too many people on, and gets caught a lot.

Moloney seems to try to execute skills that are too difficult. Against the pies he did what I'd want to see from him all the time. Using his body as his strength, and bullocking his way to space or a good option.

Instead, he can try to handball to a target that requires absolute precision, which he is not capable of (case in point, the over-the-head handball into the line of goal 1st quarter yesterday)

Unfair to be harsh on Moloney. He has been massive for us this year and he works harder than anyone in the AFL. Jones on the other hand is NOT a tagger, so why is he put as a tagger. He is not fast enough which is evident by the 2 or 3 times a game he gets caught holding the ball. But he too, try’s so hard and that is pleasing. These to guys at least work there arses off so they are not the players we should be questioning.

Personally I think Jones' disposal has improved dramatically this year. He didn't get the ball much yesterday but he made some beautiful lace out passes that set up shots on goal for us.

Yeah I think Jones has improved his disposal (i.e. hitting players on the lead)this year, but I still think his decision making is poor, seems to panic A LOT when under pressure.

Personally, i don't think either of these players are 'smart' football players. Both are there for there grunt work at stoppages and to get the ball out to players who can use it. Unfortunately, the players who can use it in our team, are either young and inexperienced, or can't find enough of the footy.

I think both have improved with their skills, but only slightly. We need to be smarter and get the ball into Davey/Trengove and Morton's hands. Players who can deliver the ball into our 50.

Would really like to see Strauss and Maric get game time. Both were specifically drafted for there kicking skills. No chance for finals this year, so lets get them in and see if they can improve our deplorable skills ATM.

Nathan Jones, I think his on field awareness has improved, his disposal has improved (he always seems to get a quick handball out now, last couple of years he didnt).
But he had a poor game yesterday. Dal bathed him, and like has been mentioned prior he is too slow to tag a player of DS's quality.
But I think there is a place for him in the side. I think if he can improve himself that much in two years he'll be a bit of a gun towards the end of his career.
As the song says, You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope one day you'll join me, and we can appreciated Jonesy's skills as one.

I'd rather a long kick then a handball anyday...

Agreed.
Why rip on Moloney, he has been an integral part of the club. He does alot of work for Melbourne off and on the scenes. Yeah he's kicking tends to be long bombs but cut him some slack he has done alot for the club.

I'd rather a long kick then a handball anyday...

Why rip on Moloney, he has been an integral part of the club. He does alot of work for Melbourne off and on the scenes. Yeah he's kicking tends to be long bombs but cut him some slack he has done alot for the club.

Disagree with both of you to an extent.
a) What if the long kick goes straight to an opponent? Yes, sometimes i agree - dicking around with handballs can me a headache, but generally it is not as simple as that... and seeing a player just whack it on their boot straight to an opposition player is horrible to watch.
b) Miller is part of the leadership group and so is Rivers - both apparently are awesome behind the scenes. They are also two players who cop shit on this forum all the time. Why are they not spared from criticism about their on field performances, yet Moloney should be? In the end your on-field performances win you premierships. Im not saying Moloney is a bad player by any means, but just because his off-field actions are great, it doesn't spare him from any criticism of his on-field actions.

Disagree with both of you to an extent.
a) What if the long kick goes straight to an opponent? Yes, sometimes i agree - dicking around with handballs can me a headache, but generally it is not as simple as that... and seeing a player just whack it on their boot straight to an opposition player is horrible to watch.
b) Miller is part of the leadership group and so is Rivers - both apparently are awesome behind the scenes. They are also two players who cop shit on this forum all the time. Why are they not spared from criticism about their on field performances, yet Moloney should be? In the end your on-field performances win you premierships. Im not saying Moloney is a bad player by any means, but just because his off-field actions are great, it doesn't spare him from any criticism of his on-field actions.

i wouldnt be criticising rivers, people in this forum see a couple of mistakes from him which ARE NOT CRITICAL MISTAKES, and because they dont like him for whatever reason, they focus on that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back