Fast Facts

Jumper No: 11
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 87 kg
DOB: 17 February 1982
Recruited From: East Perth (WA)

Re: No. 11 Joel Corey

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Got a lot of the ball and found space nicely, but his kicking was shocking. Had a chance for a goal from 50 in the 1st quarter but kicked it 20m left of the goals out on the full. Turned the ball over too many times, but was good at the clearances.

Joel Corey...

Is it just me or does his disposal get worse each year?? DOnt get me wrong, he gets the ball a hell of a lot, but by god he turns it over a lot! That first half against Adelaide was scary, it seemed everytime he got it he missed the target!

Re: Joel Corey...

Is it just me or does his disposal get worse each year?? DOnt get me wrong, he gets the ball a hell of a lot, but by god he turns it over a lot! That first half against Adelaide was scary, it seemed everytime he got it he missed the target!

It's not just you....if he had good foot disposal he would almost be a perfect midfielder. His handballs often miss the target under pressure too.

Watching the 1st half on sunday I thought, Hello Joel "kickit to anyone but a teammate" Corey is back. Hadn't seen him for a few weeks, last played in the Kanga's game at skilled if I remember wrightly, and I wasn't glad to see him to be honest. Thankfully he didn't reappear after half time. Maybe JC has a split personality, the good joel and the bad joel, we certainly saw two different footy players with the number 11 on his back at AAMI on sunday.

It's not just you....if he had good foot disposal he would almost be a perfect midfielder. His handballs often miss the target under pressure too.

Its the thing that stops him from becoming a superstar, he can collect the pill just as much as the guns of the comp, but doesnt hurt the opposition nearly as much.

Watching the 1st half on sunday I thought, Hello Joel "kickit to anyone but a teammate" Corey is back. Hadn't seen him for a few weeks, last played in the Kanga's game at skilled if I remember wrightly, and I wasn't glad to see him to be honest. Thankfully he didn't reappear after half time. Maybe JC has a split personality, the good joel and the bad joel, we certainly saw two different footy players with the number 11 on his back at AAMI on sunday.

Its been almost every week.... Even against Port Adelaide his kicking was nothing short of shocking!

I dont understand how a professional footballer can have suck poor foot skills.

Not woeful, but the epitome of a guy who's kicks are variably hit and miss.

I think alot of that has to do with his kicking action, which is pretty low percentage. His one-handed grip of the ball just allows too much room for error - when it pays off he can deliver low, penetrating deliveries, but otherwise it just shanks right off the boot.

Joel wins the ball so much, and can break the lines at times. He really is impressive, would be more if his disposal wasn't so bad.

I'm not totally bagging him, as you have to take the good with the bad. He is a naturally gifted player, just lets himself down when he does everything right to win the ball to only have a 10cent finish.

If he could polish this up, he would be one of the best in the league. He is that good. I hope that his disposal can grow, and he can lead the club in the fashion I think he can.

You would have to agree it's an issue, but would also expect that he would be aware of it and hopefully working to resolve it. To make more of it doesn't help IMO, and there would be more than 1 player working on their disposals.

I think we could all agree his clearances are fantastic, but if you take him out of our game plan, how much do we really lose?

Probably more than we might think.

just my 2 cents :)

He gets a lot of the ball from clearances, which means he's often under pressure when he gets rid of it. That doesn't excuse his poor delivery, but it is a contributing factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gets a lot of the ball from clearances, which means he's often under pressure when he gets rid of it. That doesn't excuse his poor delivery, but it is a contributing factor.
Re: Votes v Adelaide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just went back through posts after listing votes and was a bit suprised by comments re-Corey? The man is a clearance machine and while not being our best decison maker or effective kick, you have got to reward the mongral in blokes around the stoppages!

Not everyone can be outside players, look what happended last year when some of our blokes forgot that.

If we are bagging blokes try the ones down the bottom of the stats lists not the ones who are having a fair dinkum crack.

No. 11 Joel Corey

JOEL COREY

Full name : Joel Andrew Corey
D.O.B : 17th February 1982 (27)
Place of birth : Perth , WA
Recruited from : East Perth (WAFL)
Drafted : 8th overall , 1999
Debut : 2000 (played 5 games)
Number : 11
Position : Midfield / Back
Height / Weight : 190cm / 97kg
games : 176 games ( 2008 - 25 )
goals : 54 goals (2008 - 6 )

Outlook
Now an elite player, Corey underlined his value to the Cats with a superb season that saw him win All-Australian selection again and his second best and fairest. His hard running and ability to absorb tackles proved invaluable and he got his hands on the ball more than any player in the AFL during the home and away season (640 disposals at 29 per game). A great decision-maker and is in the prime of his career.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

# Another outstanding season from Joel saw him earn All Australians election for second straight year
# Won Geelong best & fairest for second time
# Played in second AFL grand final
# His 730 possessions led the AFL and were the 4th highest total of all time
# His 391 handballs were 2nd in AFL and 3rd highest of all time
# Also finished 6th in AFL with 339 kicks and 4th in tackles with 138
# Gathered 30 or more disposals in 15 of 25 games, including 30 on grand final day
# Career best 37 possessions came in rd 21 win over Nth Melb
# Played for dream team vs. Victoria in AFL hall of fame game
# Was named in WA state of origin team for fourth time
# Polled Brownlow votes in nine games and finished with 15 votes
# Averaged 30 possessions in his three finals
# big footy Geelong board PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD

# Capped memorable season with first premiership medal. Had 25 possessions and eight tackles on grand final day
# Named to All Australian team for first time and finished 6th in best & fairest
# Ranked 3rd in AFL with 650 possessions, 2nd in tackles with 134, 4th in handballs with 312 and 2nd in free kicks with 46
# Played his 150th game in preliminary final win over Collingwood, finishing with 31 possessions and eight tackles
# Polled 12 Brownlow votes. His combined tally of 63 with Bartel (29) and Ablett (22) is most by three team mates in history of the medal
# Had 20 + disposals in 21 of 25 games
# Kicked two goals vs. Bulldogs in rd 16, first multiple goal game of his career
# Twice had career best 12 tackles (vs. Lions & Rich)
# Was named in WA state of origin team for third time

# Played all 22 games and was 7th in best & fairest
# Had 20+ disposals in 18 games
# Was 18th in AFL with 529 possessions
# Polled 10 Brownlow votes
# Kicked 4th qtr goal that gave Cats lead in NAB Cup grand final win over Crows
# Was named in WA state of origin team for second time

# Played 21 games including both finals
# Won first club best & fairest award and also the coach’s award
# 100th game came in rd 20 vs. Melbourne
# Had 36 disposals in rd 18 vs. Essendon
# Was named in WA state of origin team for first time
# Polled 11 Brownlow votes

# Played 22 games including all three finals
# Finished 6th in best & fairest
# Played for Australia against Ireland in international rules series
# Played in Wizard Cup grand final vs. St Kilda

# Played all 22 games for the first time in his career
# Placed 9th in best & fairest
# Had 30 possessions and six tackles vs. Nth Melb in rd 2
# Enjoyed a 40 point win in his 50th game in rd 11 vs. Carlton

# Played 20 of 22 games
# Named as most determined and most dedicated player
# Ranked 9th in best & fairest

# Played 14 games
# Best game came in rd 8 with 20 possessions in win over Freo

# Made AFL debut in rd 17 clash with St Kilda at Telstra Dome
# Played in elimination final against Hawthorn
# First AFL goal came against Crows in his second game

# Made senior WAFL debut foe East Perth and played 11 games
# Named to All Australian U18 team after representing WA at national titles
# Played for Australia vs. Ireland in U17 international rules series

Personal life

Corey graduated from John Septimus Roe Anglican Community School in 1999. He was a junior Australian representative in baseball when he was younger, but Corey gave baseball up to pursue a football career. Outside of football, Corey is a quiet, humble person who doesn't particularly enjoy doing interviews saying even in Primary school speaking in front of the class wasn't his forte.

Corey enjoys surfing, in Torquay with teammate Cameron Ling, as he finds it "pretty peaceful, it clears your head". His nickname, Smithy, comes from the fact that his surname is also a popular boys given name. Though Corey still calls Western Australia home, he has no intentions of returning there anytime soon. Corey has two dogs, a Kelpie and a Staffordshire terrier.

He is currently in a relationship with Geelong girl, Natalie Giuffre.

Thanks to afl.com.au for stats.

Round One : CATS v HAWKS

JOEL COREY

Looking like Joel will continue on where he left off in 2008 , As usual Smithy was committed to getting lots of the ball and making plenty of opportunities for the forwards up the ground. Played aggressive football in the back half and also in the middle .... In the end , A good hard game , Done well

Kicks : 19
Handballs : 9
Disposals : 28
Marks : 3
Goals : 0
Behinds : 0
Tackles : 5
Efficency : 86%
Goal Assists : 1
Goal Contributed : 1
Inside 50's : 5
Frees for : 4
Frees against : 2
Dreamteam points : 102
Supercoach points : 125

Corey plays any role

By David Reed 11:22 AM Sat 28 March, 2009

Geelong's Joel Corey delivered as a defender against Hawthorn on Friday night

ONE OF the most prolific midfielders in the competition last year, Geelong's Joel Corey says he is happy to become a backman to fill the void left by injured teammates Josh Hunt and Tom Harley.

Corey, 27, played most of Friday night’s round one clash against Hawthorn in the back half and had the better of several opponents including grand final dangermen Stuart Dew and Campbell Brown.

His work in the clinches and ability to set up attacks from the defensive 50m arc made him among the most effective Cats on the night.

Corey ended the game with 28 possessions and said he enjoyed being part of one of the league's best defences.

"I went into the midfield a little bit but the team needed me down at half-back so that is where I was," Corey said after Geelong's eight-point win.

"That’s the way it goes. I don’t mind playing back there, they are a solid unit.

"[I'll play] wherever I am needed."

Corey said the side had plenty of improvement in it, especially after it let Hawthorn fight back from 43 points down early in the last term.

"I think we grinded it out and there was a lot of hard work to go into it so in round one I don’t think you’ll see our best football," he said.

"It wasn’t ideal the way we finished off the game but we did get over the line in the end. It was disappointing but you take the points."

Corey said that during the Hawks' comeback, his teammates lost their structure and allowed forwards Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead too much space.

"That’s not something you want to see and we really hung Tommy Lonergan and Harry Taylor out to dry a bit," Corey said.

"We lost our heads a little bit but ended up all right.

"We are two good sides and, if you watch AFL, no team dominates for the whole game so when you’ve got two evenly matched sides you get a good match."

Corey said the Cats had moved on from last year’s grand final disappointment.

"We worked really hard on our skills in the pre-season, that is the main area," he said.

"It’s 2009 now, we can’t look back."

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/73906/default.aspx

Captain Corey

1:44 PM Thu 23 April, 2009
gfc.com.au

Corey will captain his first game

Joel Corey has enjoyed a glittering career with the Cats, but on Sunday he will add a new line to his resume – captain. With Tom Harley and Cameron Ling sidelined, Corey will skipper Geelong for the first time when the Cats face Brisbane.

Corey already boasts a premiership medal, two All Australian jumpers, two best & fairest awards and the respect of the football community. He was named deputy vice captain this season after spending the past two years as a member of the club’s leadership group.

“I’ve never captained a team before,” Corey admitted. “I’ve been vice captain and deputy vice, but no, never the captain.

“And since we’re the home team I won’t get to call the toss – the visiting captain does that!”

Corey has played 180 games since debuting against St Kilda in round 17, 2000. He has played in Geelong teams that have been captained by Ben Graham, Steven King, Ling, Brenton Sanderson and Harley.

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

JOEL COREY- 3 x Premiership Player.

Joel "Smithy" Corey. The man with 2 first names is a Geelong legend.

Looks can be deceiving when you talk about the man from East Perth, with the surfer boy looks and quiet nature. Joel is every bit the ruthless competitor as players of the ilk of Maximus Rooke, Matthew Scarlett and Joel Selwood. He might not go out of his way to lay a heavy bump (has he ever laid one?) or scrag an opponent (other than a brief fling with Dean Solomon after his sniper hit on Ling), but if the hard ball is to be won or the gut running to be ran, there is no safer bet in the AFL than Joel Corey.

Taken with pick 8 in the 1999 draft, along with the other Corey, Lingy and Chappy, Smithy has proved time and time again why he was taken so high.

When you see Joel live, you see this guy as tall as a key forward, muscular, yet lean, with broad shoulders and a long stride. But its when you see his awkward 2 footed jumping style, coupled with the fact that he thinks he needs to jump each time with his arms outstretched high towards the sky, that you realise this guy was born to play in the guts, the Geelong guts.

This 190cm midfielder has become the poster boy for the modern midfielder, with other teams now openly stating that they look to recruit Geelong type midfielders, that is rangy and tough, e.g. prototype Joel Corey.

I remember in about 2003 when the Lions had the wood over us and a year prior to our coming of age game when Joel tried to take the Lions on himself. He was getting smashed from pillar to post, but you could just see him trying to lift his teammates and will himself into the contest. Arms outstretched everywhere. You knew then this guy was going to be a player.

Coming off an injury riddled 2010, 2011 was a huge year for Smithy. Another year of struggle and the wolves (bigfooty) would have been at his door. I think what many of us, including myself forgot about Joel, was that his game is very reliant on hard gut running and wearing down his opponent. In 2010 he could not do this and the results were there to be seen by all. Make no mistake, 2011 was make or break for Joel.

In 2011 he didn't just outrun his opponent, he outgunned them. His first 3 games of the year resulted in 25, 27 and 29 possessions and you just knew he was back. I remember sitting back watching round 1 on a wet and cold night at the G and watching Joel Corey running around in the first and thinking this bloke is just about spent. I was wrong. His gut running in that last quarter wound back the clock, and along with Chris Scott's fist pumping and Jimmy's goal, that was the highlight of the night for me. JC was back and back in a big way.

Another game that really stuck out to me was the round 16 loss to West Coast. We were down 40 odd points and it was Joel that really dragged us back with his clearance work and gut running. On the wide open spaces of Subiaco Joel thrived.

This form continued for most of the season apart from rounds 23, 24 and the first final against Hawthorn where he missed with a groin injury. Having now realised how important Smithy was to the team I was quiet worried about Joel going into the finals series injured. Having now realised he was a guy who needs to play at peak fitness I was torn between not wanting him to play underdone, and be like 2010, but also remembering what he did against West Coast earlier.

Joel returned in the pre-lim, 19 disposals and 6 tackles against WCE. I was happy man knowing JC would take part in the battle for the flag.

The 2011 GF was not the most memorable game for JC, my lasting memories are the high palm he did to Pendles in the goal square late in the 4th quarter and seeing him, with Kel and Selwood, give the footy back to the ump more often than not.

If any player epitomises the Geelong 2011 season it has to be JC (perhaps with Lingy). They said he was too old, and he is, they said he was too slow, and he is that too, but he is now a 3 X premiership player, a 3 x old and slow premiership player. And that has a pretty dam good ring to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back