Injury Jamie Bennell

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmation that Bennell has torn his anterior cruciate ligament.

MELBOURNE has confirmed that 22-year-old Jamie Bennell has suffered an ACL injury and will miss the rest of the season.

Bennell was involved in a marking contest deep in the Demons forward line during the third quarter and fell to the ground.

The 22-year-old limped from the ground assisted by two trainers and went straight up the race.

Melbourne coach Mark Neeld said the injury was disappointing news for the club and Bennell.

"Unfortunately for Jamie we've been told he has done his ACL," Neeld said. "That is part of our game and there is a fair bit of emotion that goes with that, a young player trying to find his way in the game, his knee is smashed."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/141471/default.aspx

Terrible injury particularly given he's out of contract.

But I wonder if it could actually be a lifeline for him (i.e. club not wanting to seem cruel and delist him whilst recovering from an ACL)?

Terrible injury particularly given he's out of contract.

But I wonder if it could actually be a lifeline for him (i.e. club not wanting to seem cruel and delist him whilst recovering from an ACL)?
Re-rookie!

Re-rookie!

The problem is, if we don't re-contract him before hand then it is paramount to a delisting. He would potentially be happier going to another club in the PSD if the club has no obligation to pick him up. I doubt that contract will come tbh.

The problem is, if we don't re-contract him before hand then it is paramount to a delisting. He would potentially be happier going to another club in the PSD if the club has no obligation to pick him up.
Who would take him though? We don't really want him on exposed form, but he's a prospect who we would take on the cheap. Give him a year if we must, just don't make any promises we won't keep (ie. Molan).

Who would take him though? We don't really want him on exposed form, but he's a prospect who we would take on the cheap. Give him a year if we must, just don't make any promises we won't keep (ie. Molan).

If nobody is hypothetically willing to get him then why would we? The fact he was on our list previously doesn't hold much weight in this scenario.

I'm not saying it can't happen by pure chance but I doubt it would work by design - Bennell wouldn't be overly enamoured with it as a plan.

If nobody is hypothetically willing to get him then why would we? The fact he was on our list previously doesn't hold much weight in this scenario.

I'm not saying it can't happen by pure chance but I doubt it would work by design - Bennell wouldn't be overly enamoured with it as a plan.
Well than he will go. He should be happy to be on an AFL list at any level. Shame, as he was okay today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel sorry for him, ACLs are terrible... but i reckon we'll load up in next years draft, and some players will have to go. Get the feeling he'll be one...

Feel sorry for him, ACLs are terrible... but i reckon we'll load up in next years draft, and some players will have to go. Get the feeling he'll be one...
Agree wholeheartedly. Have done an ACL and knee recos are zero fun (sir). Don't think he was in our plans next year and a serious injury shouldn't change that, it should confirm it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back