Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe some of us can cool the jets a bit? I'm very happy with Soggy's progress, but he's not a top 10 player of the comp yet whereas Butters and Rozee already are.
Ahhhhhh, Soligo was drafted 3 years later than Butters and Rozee. Neither of those two were top 10 players 3 years ago either. Soligo spending a lot more time as a full time mid than those two did in year 3; both were still mainly half forwards with small midfield bursts.

Can Soligo continue this trajectory and be a top 10 player in the comp in 3 years time? I hope so, but even if he isn't we have a genuine A grade mid regardless.

Cool the jets a bit on Butters and Rozee, what is your list of top 10 players with both of them in there?
In no particular order:

Bont
Petracca
Greene
Neale
Rozee
Butters
Gawn
Curnow
 Gulden
Oliver (although he's slipped a bit)

Butters being the reigning Coaches MVP puts him in the top 10 currently I would've thought.

Last edited:
He's got a real smart way of using his body too. Seen it a few times in marking contests where he knows how to stick his butt out or just position himself so he can create just that little bit of seperation between his hands and his opponent so he can mark the ball.

They talked before about his footy smarts and how that was a class he took in highschool, but it's starting to really show and separate him from a few of our other players.
I for sure would've played a handful of AFL games if they had footy smarts class back in the day.

In no particular order:

Bont
Petracca
Greene
Neale
Rozee
Butters
Gawn
Curnow
 Gulden
Oliver (although he's slipped a bit)

Butters being the reigning Coaches MVP puts him in the top 10 currently I would've thought.
No Toby Green or Dacios (who was leading the Brownlow count and also I think the MVP before he got injured)? Also J.Cameron?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Toby Green or Dacios (who was leading the Brownlow count and also I think the MVP before he got injured)? Also J.Cameron?
Don't you mean Tom Green? He's not far away.

As for Daicos, honestly no. Top 30, sure, bht not top 10. Good player with skills and a high IQ but massively overrated by the media. I also feel he's been exposed a bit this year with Collingwood's inside mids struggling. On the soft side and lacks a defensive side to his game.

Last edited:
Don't you mean Tom Green? He's not far away.

As for Daicos, honestly no. Top 30, sure, bht not top 10. Good player with skills and a high IQ but massively overrated my the media. I also feel he's been exposed a bit this year with Collingwood's inside mids struggling. On the soft side and lacks a defensive side to his game.
Didn't he lead the Brownlow and MVP by a fair margin before missing the last 5 games due to injury? Rozee similarly is on the soft side and lack a defensive side.

I think Soligo is tracking to be a Butters’ potential or thereabouts. Butters has a more kamikaze approach but both have similar attacking and defensive traits with very neat dual-sided skills with the feet. They look of a similar size too. Both extremely quick thinkers which allows them to bring the ball to the team’s advantage.

Right now, Soligo is our best chance to become an elite midfielder out of all the young prospects IMO.

Really? He has the shown the same agility as Butters in the past seasons but has shown a burst of pace this season which hasn't been there.

He has, but let’s not kid ourselves, he doesn’t have the same speed, acceleration and agility of Butters and Rozee or the explosive power of JHF.

I hate talking up Port as much as anyone but credit where it’s due.

He has, but let’s not kid ourselves, he doesn’t have the same speed, acceleration and agility of Butters and Rozee or the explosive power of JHF.

I hate talking up Port as much as anyone but credit where it’s due.
Not every elite player needs to have elite speed though. They can make it up with more footy smarts and being more economical with their possessions. Players like Lachie Neale is probably a better comparison, although Soligo is a huge talent with his foot disposals which is more akin to Butters.

Bearing in mind we’re not making direct comparisons in present time but the trajectory he’s shown, and what he might become in 2-3 years time.

Not every elite player needs to have elite speed though. They can make it up with more footy smarts and being more economical with their possessions. Players like Lachie Neale is probably a better comparison, although Soligo is a huge talent with his foot disposals which is more akin to Butters.

Bearing in mind we’re not making direct comparisons in present time but the trajectory he’s shown, and what he might become in 2-3 years time.
Id love to see him become as prolific and damaging as a Zach Merrett (if we’re thinking of similar-ish players at similar stature), but that is setting extra high expectations

Boggles the mind how many posters here are trying to make direct comparisons. And they seem to spew it with such authority as if they are shattering the Earth with such insight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back