Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep definitely the way it should be. As long as they’re not a complete degenerate in the Laurence Angwin mold, I want talent above all else.

Our failed approach instead has got us kids who aren’t actually any good, don’t even really like footy, or ran really far this one time…

Don’t tell me how rounded you are, tell me about how much you love footy.

I don’t care what you think about Mr Darcy, what do you know about Sam Darcy

Guy who can't kick or cause damage with his disposal. Excellent!
This is why I will never understand people making comments like about an 18 year old based on a 5 minute highlight reel. No one know how these kids will develop once they get into an AFL environment. Neither of those things are correct about Soligo and it is only year 3 in the system.

I’m struggling to think of a better skilled bigman and when you combine it with footy smarts you have a guaranteed gun.
It’s a shame he did his knee in his prime otherwise he’s looking at another 100- 150 career goals and a couple more AA’s
I like this game

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Said it in his first year, but he's got a bit of Lachie Neale about him. Neale gets a bit underrated in terms of his class. Both very pure players who make excellent decisions.

Clean, absorbs pressure, finds a way to get the ball from inside to out and isn’t afraid to take the game on.

Next progression would be for him to find away to kick the footy more because he is a lovely inside 50 kick.

Best mid in his draft after JHF at this point. We rightly bag our draft team a lot but they’ve smashed one out of the ground getting Jake at pick 36.

Clean, absorbs pressure, finds a way to get the ball from inside to out and isn’t afraid to take the game on.

Next progression would be for him to find away to kick the footy more because he is a lovely inside 50 kick.

Best mid in his draft after JHF at this point. We rightly bag our draft team a lot but they’ve smashed one out of the ground getting Jake at pick 36.

Getting lucky (very) occasionally doesn’t address the criticisms

All teams get lucky from time to time

Seen a few player comparisons in game style to young Jake over the weekend - Ben Cousins, Sam Mitchell - to name a few. I personally dont see either of those as they seemed to have different weapons with their elite gut running and dual sided footskills

I always find it funny when the player comparison is a Brownlow Medallist or 300 game champion . So with that in mind, the 'gamestyle' I see that lines up best with Soligo is Joel Selwood. Hes not overly fast, or a booming kick or have any initial standout weapons that you see him use as his 1 wood. He just wins contests with his hardness and then uses it so well with class under pressure. He thinks quick, rarely gets out positioned and just looks a winner. There is so much to like.
20 months on and my player comp hasnt changed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting lucky (very) occasionally doesn’t address the criticisms

All teams get lucky from time to time
Luck plays a role in every decision. They picked the best player available, which is the job, and they get credit if he's good (for the pick level) and blame if he's not.

edit: that said, he was expected to go in the 30s so it's not some crazy left-field pick. They just picked the right guy from around that level.

Last edited:
Luck plays a role in every decision. They picked the best player available, which is the job, and they get credit if he's good (for the pick level) and blame if he's not.

edit: that said, he was expected to go in the 30s so it's not some crazy left-field pick. They just picked the right guy from around that level.

That’s not a useful way to look at it

People over estimate their ability to analyse probability.

A Bayesian look would consider what the real expected probability of a hand is, versus what we assume it is to fit our pre-disposition

The question is do we make more good picks than other teams relative to the actual expectations and baseline in the league

Not whether we have the odd win

I wouldn’t go that far. Wouldn’t rule it out but Jake doesn’t have the same athletic abilities that those three have.
He’s improved this year in that regard, seems to have added an element of acceleration to his game

But it’s not on the level of the Port trio, i agree

He's got a real smart way of using his body too. Seen it a few times in marking contests where he knows how to stick his butt out or just position himself so he can create just that little bit of seperation between his hands and his opponent so he can mark the ball.

They talked before about his footy smarts and how that was a class he took in highschool, but it's starting to really show and separate him from a few of our other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back