Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Now that the AFL and most football finals are over , and sporting news is hibernation awaiting the change of seasons there is something that we all can do to ensure the betterment of AF O/S .Lets's all make a pledge to contact a radio station and bring up the subject of Australian Football Overseas to increase it's profile .Later in the New Year , we should all do the same again just before the International Cup , again to raise it's profile .

Not a bad idea. Most footy cities will have talkback sports shows getting bored with the footy season. Have an angle in mind or an interesting story. Would it be too bold of me to suggest you mention worldfootynews.com as somewhere for people interested to look - hopefully it's an obvious spot for all the international news and links to every club outside of Oz that has a website, as well the IAFC, AFANA, all the leagues, etc.

being in London, it seems that this year the GF went by with little or no mention and was only televised on pay tv unlike the last when it went free to air
I think that the vic gov should promote tourism in sports by giving away trips to oz to see the GF and the melb cup on popular radio here in London who cares if the winners are only interested in winning a trip and give the tickets away
I will try to call talk radio to mention our game if I can find a good reason
After the last weekend I saw no coverage of the GF unlike last year

• Banned
I would open by asking the presenters what they knew about AF O/S .
They would probably mention a bit about the USA , IHR and Ireland and then move straight into asking how long it would be before some O/S player was drafted .I would mention the upcoming Cup and that it looked really competitive , but there was a lot happenning , too much for a short discussion and recommend the IAFC as a starting point , Worldfooty for new developements and Bigfooty for discussion .

Well, I did a bit. Talked on 5AA to KG and Cornes in SA about NZ footy (after another caller mentioned it). But got cut off (end of the show) before I could mention the Convicts tour or worldfootynews.com! Can't say that I enjoyed speaking on radio, but now the first one is done, I might get more confidence.

I might get a spot in the local council area Messenger newspaper soon too (probably go to around 20,000 households).

Now that the AFL and most football finals are over , and sporting news is hibernation awaiting the change of seasons there is something that we all can do to ensure the betterment of AF O/S .Lets's all make a pledge to contact a radio station and bring up the subject of Australian Football Overseas to increase it's profile .Later in the New Year , we should all do the same again just before the International Cup , again to raise it's profile .

Something to think about for the 2024 AFL International Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back