How to kick a ball further

Remove this Banner Ad

I would concentrate on being accurate more than length. But, I think there could be some core exercises that could help. Plus increasing flexibility through the hip flexors.

A technique i use is to make more contact in the middle of the footy than at the bottom of the footy. Very hard to do, it’s something I do subconsciously and find hard to do when deliberately practicing it. Not sure if it can be taught for that reason.

Give it a go and let us know how you go and what you think.

There is another factor as well - the weight of the boot. Essendon's Albert Thurgood made a place kick of 98.48 m at practice in 1899 (with slight wind assistance). He was also recorded as place-kicking 95.71 m in a match against Carlton at East Melbourne in 1893. Dave McNamara of St Kilda managed a place kick measured at 94.49 m against South Melbourne at St Kilda in 1907. The longest punt kick recorded was 86.56 m by Harry Vallance of Carlton at Collingwood in 1933. Nobody gets anywhere near those figures today. It is thought that the heavier boots worn in those days may have allowed such long kicks. I think the footballs were also heavier then. Can anyone else come up with an explanation as to why blokes could kick so far in those days?
Pretty sure they'd kick the place kicks with the point of their toes and had steel capped boots. They were probably much smaller than modern day footballers too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back