Hawthorn's Tassie Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

. I'm a Northerner, but first and foremost I'm a Tasmanian,
Long rant, sorry, but in answer to the last question - the 4 game deal costs $16m. The other one cost $70m. This is why they went for the first one - it's all business, not footy. Which is better? I'd have no problem with the Hawks playing 2 up and 2 down, but many would spit the dummy, both N or S, if it meant paying for the upgrade for just 2 games a year each. You then need a commitment from an AFL side to play more games, which means relocation, because no Melbourne team can afford not to give 11 games to their Vic members. North will not relocate - you'll know this if you were paying one iota of attention to the GC saga 3 years ago. So what do you get? An expanded deal with another team for a lot more bucks, with a track record of not sticking to a market rightly or wrongly (I say rightly, they have to look out for themselves) for anything but a cash grab...a 10-year deal with North Melbourne...it's not an easy answer, but again, look at it in other people's shoes and suddenly the government doesn't look quite so stupid...

All fair enough stuff, maybe. I guess I'm one who has a particular view of the footy world. I'm not really clouded by selfishness, like some. I think Footy should be helping to unite this state. We can have a team & make it work because we want it. That will only happen when the majority of people perceive fairness in decisions made by the powers that be, which affect them. The facts are that that a lot of people feel left out by certain decisions that have been made.
You cannot legislate for Cricket in the south & footy in the north. It WONT BE ACCEPTED, & nor should it. Neither end of this state could hope to support 11-12 AFL games in a season if we ever get that team. Currently four games at YP is ok, not a problem. To have had none in the largest city for 10 years, while northern games are paid for by the WHOLE state is a bloody disgrace. If AFL games bring economic benefits to Tassie, them how can you refuse to play more of them per year & include BRO?.
The costs stated by Bartlett are a lie. How can you argue that it costs nothing to develop YP & only $16million to play, but ignore the fact they get bonuses & large sponsorship & gate takings on top, But put nothing back into the local game, take it all & run. This happens nowhere else in the country for CS. The so called $70million BS figure includes 7 games per year for 10 years(5 per year at YP, 2 at BRO), a local footy academy, money for local footy, access to the VFL team plus what the TCA want to upgrade improve the BRO for cricket & for footy. The government will just say any old lie, & some people will swallow any old lie if it suits them. AFL is big & we want a piece of it. The TCA run a stadium, they like the MCG, SACA, BCG, WACA, SCG, all DO THE SAME THING, you need to maximise its use to defray your operational & investment costs. You cant blame them for not wanting to go broke. Most cricket is played mid week & one test match each 2-3 years is about it. You cant survive on that my friend. So to my northern friends, we aint going away any time soon:p

All fair enough stuff, maybe. I guess I'm one who has a particular view of the footy world. I'm not really clouded by selfishness, like some. I think Footy should be helping to unite this state. We can have a team & make it work because we want it. That will only happen when the majority of people perceive fairness in decisions made by the powers that be, which affect them. The facts are that that a lot of people feel left out by certain decisions that have been made.
You cannot legislate for Cricket in the south & footy in the north. It WONT BE ACCEPTED, & nor should it. Neither end of this state could hope to support 11-12 AFL games in a season if we ever get that team. Currently four games at YP is ok, not a problem. To have had none in the largest city for 10 years, while northern games are paid for by the WHOLE state is a bloody disgrace. If AFL games bring economic benefits to Tassie, them how can you refuse to play more of them per year & include BRO?.
The costs stated by Bartlett are a lie. How can you argue that it costs nothing to develop YP & only $16million to play, but ignore the fact they get bonuses & large sponsorship & gate takings on top, But put nothing back into the local game, take it all & run. This happens nowhere else in the country for CS. The so called $70million BS figure includes 7 games per year for 10 years(5 per year at YP, 2 at BRO), a local footy academy, money for local footy, access to the VFL team plus what the TCA want to upgrade improve the BRO for cricket & for footy. The government will just say any old lie, & some people will swallow any old lie if it suits them. AFL is big & we want a piece of it. The TCA run a stadium, they like the MCG, SACA, BCG, WACA, SCG, all DO THE SAME THING, you need to maximise its use to defray your operational & investment costs. You cant blame them for not wanting to go broke. Most cricket is played mid week & one test match each 2-3 years is about it. You cant survive on that my friend. So to my northern friends, we aint going away any time soon:p

Economic benefits to Hobart, with a couple of AFL games a year at Bellerive Oval, would no doubt be tremendous. NM supporters would love a weekend in Hobart once a year. What a great weekend!

Personally, as a member of the CFC Roos, I'd love to see some funding go into the oval, particularly as the CFC do not have their own function room on site. Funding from the NMFC would allow for such re-development(s) to occur. Nothing better than going into an opposition clubrooms after a game for a beer. The premiership room is leased from the TCA by the CFC. Although it gets the job done, there isn't really that club feel in there. Glenorchy have a great setup whereby people can come off the street during the day, have a beer or punt and keep to till ticking over.

From a players' perspective, I'm sure opposition players really enjoy playing on the oval. Good surface, good changerooms, the fact that it's a world class sporting facility... why wouldn't a young bloke want to play at such venues?

Economic benefits to Hobart, with a couple of AFL games a year at Bellerive Oval, would no doubt be tremendous. NM supporters would love a weekend in Hobart once a year. What a great weekend!

Personally, as a member of the CFC Roos, I'd love to see some funding go into the oval, particularly as the CFC do not have their own function room on site. Funding from the NMFC would allow for such re-development(s) to occur. Nothing better than going into an opposition clubrooms after a game for a beer. The premiership room is leased from the TCA by the CFC. Although it gets the job done, there isn't really that club feel in there. Glenorchy have a great setup whereby people can come off the street during the day, have a beer or punt and keep to till ticking over.

From a players' perspective, I'm sure opposition players really enjoy playing on the oval. Good surface, good changerooms, the fact that it's a world class sporting facility... why wouldn't a young bloke want to play at such venues?

What a typical selfish Clarence attitude. Its NOT all about what Clarence can suck out of others you know. I remember Clarence once had their own club rooms. Oh thats right, they had to sell them to pay their massive debts buying premierships. Now what do they want, others to pay for their free ride. How pathetic.
At least clubs like North Hobart & Glenorchy actually work for what they have, not suck off some one else like the Clarence council & the TCA. Gee Zu S H C

What a typical selfish Clarence attitude. Its NOT all about what Clarence can suck out of others you know. I remember Clarence once had their own club rooms. Oh thats right, they had to sell them to pay their massive debts buying premierships. Now what do they want, others to pay for their free ride. How pathetic.
At least clubs like North Hobart & Glenorchy actually work for what they have, not suck off some one else like the Clarence council & the TCA. Gee Zu S H C

Gee, hit a nerve there! Just a personal opinion champ. I would like to see some benefits for my club. Is that a crime? A development at BO would involve the CFC gaining some benefits, one would think. Most clubs have received government grants or AFL funding of some kind.

If you would like to talk about the CFC and finances, that's fine:
- Yes, the CFC did have clubrooms once upon a time at a location off-site. This is not ideal for any club IMHO. The club did go into a lot of debt (like most other clubs) and sold their rooms. In terms of buying premierships, if this is true, they did a pretty good job in doing so!!!
- The CFC pay their players on a weekly basis without fail. I heard during the week that the NHFC and DFC had real trouble in paying their players throughout the week. Someone from those clubs might like to correct me if I am wrong.
- The CFC are one of the most financial clubs in the TSL. They do extremely well off the field through a number of ventures. To say that the CFC do no work like Nth Hobart and Glenorchy is extremely narrow minded, illustrating an obvious lack of understanding.
- The CFC lease the premiership room from the TCA. Hardly a free ride. Not sure what Jock Campbell (CCC Mayor) has done for the CFC??? After all, he is a Lauderdale FC member!

So there you go, Madmug. As for your abuse, that's a little juvenile isn't it? Bit embarrassing actually.

Why can't we have a like button on Bigfooty?

Gee, hit a nerve there! Just a personal opinion champ. I would like to see some benefits for my club. Is that a crime? A development at BO would involve the CFC gaining some benefits, one would think. Most clubs have received government grants or AFL funding of some kind.

If you would like to talk about the CFC and finances, that's fine:
- Yes, the CFC did have clubrooms once upon a time at a location off-site. This is not ideal for any club IMHO. The club did go into a lot of debt (like most other clubs) and sold their rooms. In terms of buying premierships, if this is true, they did a pretty good job in doing so!!!
- The CFC pay their players on a weekly basis without fail. I heard during the week that the NHFC and DFC had real trouble in paying their players throughout the week. Someone from those clubs might like to correct me if I am wrong.
- The CFC are one of the most financial clubs in the TSL. They do extremely well off the field through a number of ventures. To say that the CFC do no work like Nth Hobart and Glenorchy is extremely narrow minded, illustrating an obvious lack of understanding.
- The CFC lease the premiership room from the TCA. Hardly a free ride. Not sure what Jock Campbell (CCC Mayor) has done for the CFC??? After all, he is a Lauderdale FC member!

So there you go, Madmug. As for your abuse, that's a little juvenile isn't it? Bit embarrassing actually.

I agree with you, yes they were successful in buying premierships:eek:, no doubt about that.
The BRO was initially developed back in 1983/4 because the TCA President Dennis Rogers at that time was also the President of the Clarence football club, hardly an arms length relationship. BRO is within waddling distance of his home! If all thats not a conflict of interest, I dont know what is!!
That development should have been at either the old TCA, Showgrounds or KGV, all with much better access & parking. But no, it had to be puton the beachfront in a suburban area with poor access, near fatty's place.
Not sure what senile old Jock has to do with this, but ex player S.Wade seemed happy to play all TSL finals at his old ground. Despite most punters favouring the NHO, better atmosphere, better access, closer to the black Buffalo:D.
Sure playing at a $25million facility may attract players but AFL Tas haste in giving Clarence 1/2 Dozen Kingston lads when they first joined the TSL was also pretty poor, They should have been Hobart players, part of the reason the Tigers struggle to recruit. I'm sure if they had gone up to the Domain, others would have followed.
So was I being abusive? I think more factual & honest, IMO:p But I'll let others decide on that one, CHAMP

I think you can work it out.

I agree with you, yes they were successful in buying premierships:eek:, no doubt about that.
The BRO was initially developed back in 1983/4 because the TCA President Dennis Rogers at that time was also the President of the Clarence football club, hardly an arms length relationship. BRO is within waddling distance of his home! If all thats not a conflict of interest, I dont know what is!!
That development should have been at either the old TCA, Showgrounds or KGV, all with much better access & parking. But no, it had to be puton the beachfront in a suburban area with poor access, near fatty's place.
Not sure what senile old Jock has to do with this, but ex player S.Wade seemed happy to play all TSL finals at his old ground. Despite most punters favouring the NHO, better atmosphere, better access, closer to the black Buffalo:D.
Sure playing at a $25million facility may attract players but AFL Tas haste in giving Clarence 1/2 Dozen Kingston lads when they first joined the TSL was also pretty poor, They should have been Hobart players, part of the reason the Tigers struggle to recruit. I'm sure if they had gone up to the Domain, others would have followed.
So was I being abusive? I think more factual & honest, IMO:p But I'll let others decide on that one, CHAMP

Just a couple of points:
- You brought up the point that the CFC get a free ride from the CCC. That is rubbish. You might like to say how.
- I will reiterate the point that the CFC pay their own way with the TCA. This includes the use of the gym under southern stand and the indoor cricket net area when available. Outstanding facilities and all paid for!
- I agree with you in terms of NHO. Good atmosphere etc., but the venue just doesn't have the corporate facilities it needs for finals footy these days.
- The Kingborough boys that joined the CFC didn't want to play for Hobart. Daniel Archer was drafted as a consequence and Adam Green is now a very good senior player. Blight obviously had a positive influence on these lads at Kingborough and they went with him.
- In terms of the abuse, I'm not sure what "Gee Zu S H C" means.??..?? hahaha You might like to explain:D

Anyway, if NM play games at Bellerive, from reports I've read, local footy will benefit more so than the current arrangement with HFC. Surely at least a couple of games can be scheduled in 2012, but somehow I don't think it will happen.

I hear that Brayshaw and Bartlett had an initial agreement, but Bartlett had to go back on his word as he didn't have the party support. Consequently, JB (and Andy D for that matter) seemed to have wiped their hands clean of Tassie footy for the moment.

Just a couple of points:
- You brought up the point that the CFC get a free ride from the CCC. That is rubbish. You might like to say how.
- I will reiterate the point that the CFC pay their own way with the TCA. This includes the use of the gym under southern stand and the indoor cricket net area when available. Outstanding facilities and all paid for!
- I agree with you in terms of NHO. Good atmosphere etc., but the venue just doesn't have the corporate facilities it needs for finals footy these days.
- The Kingborough boys that joined the CFC didn't want to play for Hobart. Daniel Archer was drafted as a consequence and Adam Green is now a very good senior player. Blight obviously had a positive influence on these lads at Kingborough and they went with him.
- In terms of the abuse, I'm not sure what "Gee Zu S H C" means.??..?? hahaha You might like to explain:D

Anyway, if NM play games at Bellerive, from reports I've read, local footy will benefit more so than the current arrangement with HFC. Surely at least a couple of games can be scheduled in 2012, but somehow I don't think it will happen.

I hear that Brayshaw and Bartlett had an initial agreement, but Bartlett had to go back on his word as he didn't have the party support. Consequently, JB (and Andy D for that matter) seemed to have wiped their hands clean of Tassie footy for the moment.

I Didnt mention a 'free ride,' at all.:confused: Its just so nice for them how things conveniently happen for them:rolleyes:, while other clubs just slog on & get nowhere fast. For example the NHO has been unfairly neglected for 30 years. The club has worked hard, even getting the ok for lights but have a few locals fight againt them, you just cant beat having the right friends who play the political game. (Just ask the Qatar soccer sheiks .:D)

. Now what do they want, others to pay for their free ride.

You did say "free ride"......

Every club works hard. Pull out the violins - boo hoo:( !!!!

The CFC happen to share the venue with the TCA. There's a lot of money in cricket, with the CFC being a beneficiary of the popularity in cricket regarding:
a) lights
b) great playing surface

The corp facilities allow finals to be played there.

It is a shame that Nth Hobart Oval can't tick this box and that the locals in the area are so against a redevelopment. I remember a petition going around in regards to lights a BO. Some locals complained then, but the pull of those locals that wanted them, coupled with the TCA got the job done.

Some negatives of the shared tenancy mean that the CFC are often told what they can and can't do by the TCA - ie the CFC can't build clubrooms where they want. However, with an AFL club on board, the CFC, with grants, AFL Tas and NM on board, would be able to build a more suitable shared facility.

Anyhow, back to the most important issue..... let's hope we can get an AFL game or two in Hobart during the 2011 season. Would be great for all footy followers.

. Now what do they want, others to pay for their free ride.

You did say "free ride"......

Every club works hard. Pull out the violins - boo hoo:( !!!!

The CFC happen to share the venue with the TCA. There's a lot of money in cricket, with the CFC being a beneficiary of the popularity in cricket regarding:
a) lights
b) great playing surface

The corp facilities allow finals to be played there.

It is a shame that Nth Hobart Oval can't tick this box and that the locals in the area are so against a redevelopment. I remember a petition going around in regards to lights a BO. Some locals complained then, but the pull of those locals that wanted them, coupled with the TCA got the job done.

Some negatives of the shared tenancy mean that the CFC are often told what they can and can't do by the TCA - ie the CFC can't build clubrooms where they want. However, with an AFL club on board, the CFC, with grants, AFL Tas and NM on board, would be able to build a more suitable shared facility.

Anyhow, back to the most important issue..... let's hope we can get an AFL game or two in Hobart during the 2011 season. Would be great for all footy followers.

Sorry, yes I did say 'free ride'. I intended to convey the fact that they had basically sold off their major income producing assett to buy success & were now bludging off the TCA. The TCA facilities were provided by the cute arrangement of having the TCA president as the Clarence president as well. All too cute & convenient really.
Any way we are stuck with that now. The issue of AFL footy in Hobart is important to those of us who have spent a lifetime with the game. How many entrance fees, raffle tickets, player sponsorships, player careers, cold pies & flu bugs I have paid for, seen & contracted, whilst on the hill at NHO & other grounds ( yes even BRO!) I would hate to count. I think I & others deserve to see some locally played AFL games.
Tassie should have a team & it should play in both stadiums. In the mean time we should see at least one or two games a season & that arrangement should pay some money into the local league.
So the answer to your comment is yes:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, yes I did say 'free ride'. I intended to convey the fact that they had basically sold off their major income producing assett to buy success & were now bludging off the TCA. The TCA facilities were provided by the cute arrangement of having the TCA president as the Clarence president as well. All too cute & convenient really.

Either you cant read or you're plain ignorant, but I have stated previously that the CFC lease the facilities they use. Have you seen the gym under the Southern Stand? It's very nice.

When Denis Rogers was involved with both parties, it was years ago and the state of BO and its surroundings was nothing like it is today! What a load of garbage!!!! What TCA facilities were available when Rogers was there? Didly squat!!!!! Hardly a FACT!

Credit where credit is due! The apparent free ride from the TCA (and everyone else for that matter) had plenty to do with success in 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010.

End of story

Either you cant read or you're plain ignorant, but I have stated previously that the CFC lease the facilities they use. Have you seen the gym under the Southern Stand? It's very nice.

When Denis Rogers was involved with both parties, it was years ago and the state of BO and its surroundings was nothing like it is today! What a load of garbage!!!! What TCA facilities were available when Rogers was there? Didly squat!!!!! Hardly a FACT!

Credit where credit is due! The apparent free ride from the TCA (and everyone else for that matter) had plenty to do with success in 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010.

End of story

Well I think most people would find the Dennis Rogers, Scott wade, Clarence selling their clubrooms to pay off their creditors & paying favourable amounts for the use of a $25million facility, Wade shyte canning NHO for finals, all a bit too convenient .

Well I think most people would find the Dennis Rogers, Scott wade, Clarence selling their clubrooms to pay off their creditors & paying favourable amounts for the use of a $25million facility, Wade shyte canning NHO for finals, all a bit too convenient .

Name a club involved in SWL Footy that didn't struggle financially? As I said earlier, Rogers was well and truly gone by this time (but u are ignorant, have an IQ of 60 or illiterate). I think he was ACB chairman in '95!! RE nho finals: read previous posts. Lease agreements "favourable"? TCA board member are we? Seem to be an expert on everything! How about you tell us again how you've been following TAS Footy since the turn of time?? haha! Stop being argumentative, digest those sour grapes, remove the chip off the shoulder and move on :) let's get NM or someone down here!

PS how's your TSL club going Madmug? U might like to fill us all in on another thread.

Name a club involved in SWL Footy that didn't struggle financially? As I said earlier, Rogers was well and truly gone by this time (but u are ignorant, have an IQ of 60 or illiterate). I think he was ACB chairman in '95!! RE nho finals: read previous posts. Lease agreements "favourable"? TCA board member are we? Seem to be an expert on everything! How about you tell us again how you've been following TAS Footy since the turn of time?? haha! Stop being argumentative, digest those sour grapes, remove the chip off the shoulder and move on :) let's get NM or someone down here!

PS how's your TSL club going Madmug? U might like to fill us all in on another thread.

Score 40 all.

Well, For a Cooee Bulldog from parklands you seem a bit too defensive over all this Clarence/ BRO stuff:eek:. Argumentative, sour? Yes, probably a bit, certainly no more than you are:p. . But isnt open discussion & a bit of conspiracy theory what BF is all about?
Being in financial trouble is one thing, but selling your social club to help pay the debt is pretty bloody severe!!
As far as my TSL club is concerned, they are going ok. The HCC obviously hate football, unlike Burnie, Launceston or Bellerive councils. They nobbled NH when the social club wanted to use the carpark in the ground to attract patrons. The lights issue is pathetic. A few games starting at 5.30 & finishing at 8.30 would have very little effect on the few local residents that have kicked up. NHO is the favoured venue by punters. It has the record for a footy crowd in the state. So why move all finals to BRO? As for last years TSL GF, the crowd figures were obviously rubbery. I doubt 1/2 that number attended compared with the 2009 GF. So why move to BRO for the 'corporates' if the punters prefer NHO? BRO would be ok for any AFL games. After all the NTFL dont play at YP for the GF! They prefer the atmosphere of the local ground.
Also if I was illiterate we wouldnt be having this debate over the internet, so I would think that your level of personal invective reflects more on you than me IMO.
Your serve!

Score 40 all. You serious? Your unforced errors are killing you!

Well, For a Cooee Bulldog from parklands you seem a bit too defensive over all this Clarence/ BRO stuff:eek:.Used to live up that way ages ago. Argumentative, sour? Yes, probably a bit, certainly no more than you are:p. . But isnt open discussion & a bit of conspiracy theory what BF is all about? Absolutely.
Being in financial trouble is one thing, but selling your social club to help pay the debt is pretty bloody severe!!
As far as my TSL club is concerned, they are going ok. The HCC obviously hate football, unlike Burnie, Launceston or Bellerive councils. CFC don't get any help! I must admit, the TCA looks pretty ordinary. Big decisions need to be made for long term.... hmm..??? All the talk is about how fantastic the Kingborough ovals are.... They nobbled NH when the social club wanted to use the carpark in the ground to attract patrons. The lights issue is pathetic. A few games starting at 5.30 & finishing at 8.30 would have very little effect on the few local residents that have kicked up. NHO is the favoured venue by punters. It has the record for a footy crowd in the state. So why move all finals to BRO? As for last years TSL GF, the crowd figures were obviously rubbery. I doubt 1/2 that number attended compared with the 2009 GF. So why move to BRO for the 'corporates' if the punters prefer NHO? AFL Tas big knobs wine and dine sponsors, Tassie Medal etc BRO would be ok for any AFL games. After all the NTFL dont play at YP for the GF! They prefer the atmosphere of the local ground. The eastern most club is Latrobe! So that doesn't make sense! NTFL aren't geared toward the corporates like the "big league". Simple.
Also if I was illiterate we wouldnt be having this debate over the internet, so I would think that your level of personal invective reflects more on you than me IMO. It's just amusing when you miss key points... not a reflection on what you write, more your reading! Or is it ignorance?
Your serve!
Haha nice analogy. I love a good footy discussion...........:thumbsu:

Haha nice analogy. I love a good footy discussion...........:thumbsu:

Unforced errors:eek: You may be surprised who I know at the TCA:p
If moving to BRO was for the 'BIG KNOBS' they our level of footy is really stuffed!
Ignore the punters at your peril.
Having the 'Tassie Medal' at the GF is about the dumbest idea I've even seen in football anyway.
Also the NTFL played the GF at Latrobe when 3 Launy side were in the comp, or where you IGNORANT of that fact:rolleyes:
Your shot!

Unforced errors:eek: You may be surprised who I know at the TCA:p
If moving to BRO was for the 'BIG KNOBS' they our level of footy is really stuffed! It makes those in high places feel important :)
Ignore the punters at your peril.
Having the 'Tassie Medal' at the GF is about the dumbest idea I've even seen in football anyway. yep!
Also the NTFL played the GF at Latrobe when 3 Launy side were in the comp, or where you IGNORANT of that fact:rolleyes: No, I wasn't ignorant of that fact. I've spent plenty of time at Latrobe in September! You did say: "After all the NTFL dont play at YP for the GF!" No sh1t! Of course they dont!!!! They used to!!!!

These unforced errors keep killing you!

Your shot!

So there you go, Madmug.

Most cricket is played mid week & one test match each 2-3 years is about it. You cant survive on that my friend. So to my northern friends, we aint going away any time soon:p

This is the crux of the matter, and this is why it baffles me that Wade and anyone else are calling the decision the end of any chance of an Tasmanian AFL side. A 4 year/7 year/whatever deal with any existing club will have entirely different goalposts than a new home team - it's two entirely different paths. A new side will develop its base and supporting venues (e.g. read up on what GWS want at the moment), and make it workable for the franchise. Funding appropriate to the circumstances is available once you're a member of the AFL (depending on who you are, of course). If this means two stadiums at each end of the state, then fine - you can justify that over 5-6 games a lot more easily than over 2, which is what I'm alluding to with "hospitals". This is an entirely different scenario than deals and offers put on the table by interstate organisations. It seems to me as well, that if Tasmania's strategy for AFL inclusion, and its entire philosophy for any matches in the state at all, is to get as many freebies as possible from other clubs before a license window opens, then we're doomed from the start...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back