Gippsland League discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I am on the look out for some old 'Football Records' from the Bass Valley-Wonthaggi District Football League,. which disbanded around 1995 and included Wonthaggi Blues and Wonthaggi Rovers until their merger.

Home and away or finals editions are fine. I would prefer hard copies but scans are fine as well.

Please message me if you can assist.
[MortlockWatcher, post 59273951, member 150742] I am requesting information on a player John Docherty who played with Wonthaggi Blues in the late sixties. Judging by the team photo i was given it looked like a premiership. If possible any information on the player and team please.

Following today's announcement RE the easing of restrictions; the league will hold a virtual meeting tonight to determine the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a particularly high standard year either. I watched Traralgon the other week. That Eddy wouldn’t have been worthy to clean Alan Lowe’s boots.
He wasn't in the greatest shape this year and is getting on in age, will be leaving Tgon as I understand it now his mate Jake Best is finishing as coach and Tom Schneider who played with them at Vermont likely heads back to Suburban footy. Eddy was still dangerous when the ball got in his hands within 55 but can't move as well as he did.

I think the comp is in decent shape, there's a fair gulf from the top 3 of Wonthaggi, Leongatha & Moe to Traralgon & Sale and then another gulf from Morwell to bottom sides but it was more competitive than last season. Bairnsdale at least appear to have improved. Maffra a decent step backwards though they seem to have plenty of promising kids as do Warragul. Drouin competitive at times but not consistently & at least tried to play some attacking footy rather than trying to keep games close and flooding the backline. Hopefully works in the long run.

Sale one of the preseason favourites didn't get a good run at it with unavailability and injury but Leongatha overcame the same to make the GF. Traralgon looked good at stages but fell away heavily particularly late in the season. Wonthaggi been flying since early-mid year and deserve to be favoured tomorrow. Leongatha accounted for Moe easily both times in finals so see what happens. Looked like it could be their year at a few points this season but Moe's drought in to at least a 57th year.

Who won the gf and was it any good as a game?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Perfect conditions for footy, some great highlights and passages of play but as for the contest - Leongatha didn't look threatened at any stage to be honest. Wonthaggi lost a player to a yellow card late in the first quarter and then the same player again late in the second which meant a red card - played 1 short for 35 minutes and Jarryd Blair (Wonthaggi coach) came into the game with a bad calf & could barely run.

Plenty on the way from Sale to Sale City with coach Schuback including a couple of pretty big ones - Jayden Allison, Daine McGuinness, Cooper Whitehill, Ostin Waugh and Kane Martin. McGuinness had a great start to 2023 as a ruck, Allison has been good for them for a long time and Whitehill showed a bit in 2022 especially but Martin obviously the big name of that crew. Nearing the end but he has given Sale great service & probably one of the best that the Gippsland League has seen really, especially over the last 20 years. 300 goals, 4x B&Fs, 2x flags and a league medal pretty handy.

Wonder who they've got coming back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back