AFLW General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd minute in Pies get a point - 3pts
Another point to the Pies at the 5minute mark
Nayley Borg missed a sitter in front for Port - back to 4pts - 11 minutes to go
Bromage having a big qtr for Port, crashing through contests - gets it up forward for another snapped poing for Port = 5pts now 7 mins to go
Stutt for Port at Half fwd, danced around a Pie, gets it low to low to Harley 25 out on an angle, but misses - 6pts
Again Bella Stutt at half forward, poise, and the pass to Harley at the 18 minute mark, who takes her time, kicks long, for BETH WILSON (ruck) to mark on the teeth of goal. She converts and the siren sounds!!!!! Port Melbourne the premiers!
1690689746045.png

Lauren Caruso, 22D 8M 10T great game! Bella Stutt decisive in that last Qtr, with two superb passes for scores that were the difference in the end. Hartog 12T, unheralded but tackled everything around the stoppages. Em Harley kept finding something to nearly kick the winner but that mark by Wilson, who it must be said outrucked King from Collingwood much of the day, managed a resting mark and final score. Helmetted Courteney Bromage really came into her own that last qtr 10T, as she threw herself at the ball and opponents relentlessly.

Lauren Curuso - Lisa Hardeman medalist - best on ground in the Grand Final.

Hope Caruso stays a Train-on player for the Tiges, and I'd have a close look at Mckellar, she has such good hands, and poise once she gets it to distribute.

Last edited:
3rd minute in Pies get a point - 3pts
Another point to the Pies at the 5minute mark
Nayley Borg missed a sitter in front for Port - back to 4pts - 11 minutes to go
Bromage having a big qtr for Port, crashing through contests - gets it up forward for another snapped poing for Port = 5pts now 7 mins to go
Stutt for Port at Half fwd, danced around a Pie, gets it low to low to Harley 25 out on an angle, but misses - 6pts
Again Bella Stutt at half forward, poise, and the pass to Harley at the 18 minute mark, who takes her time, kicks long, for BETH WILSON (ruck) to mark on the teeth of goal. She converts and the siren sounds!!!!! Port Melbourne the premiers!
View attachment 1759728

Lauren Caruso, 22D 8M 10T great game! Bella Stutt decisive in that last Qtr, with two superb passes for scores that were the difference in the end. Hartog 12T, unheralded but tackled everything around the stoppages. Em Harley kept finding something to nearly kick the winner but that mark by Wilson, who it must be said outrucked King from Collingwood much of the day, managed a resting mark and final score. Helmetted Courteney Bromage really came into her own that last qtr 10T, as she threw herself at the ball and opponents relentlessly.

Lauren Curuso - Lisa Hardeman medalist - best on ground in the Grand Final.

Hope Caruso stays a Train-on player for the Tiges, and I'd have a close look at Mckellar, she has such good hands, and poise once she gets it to distribute.
F2QpJZtakAARt8w.jpg
F2Q4DyvbIAICVru.jpg
F2Q4Dy3aoAASFLE.jpg
F2Q4DyuaUAAAmbl.jpg
F2Q4DywakAA76_M.jpg

AFLW Tigers draw with Saints in match sim
Richmond AFLW drew with St Kilda in a match simulation at RSEA Park on Friday, the final score reading 5.5 (25) apiece.
The Tigers and the Saints played out three 20-minute periods followed by a 15-minute period, with no time on.
Richmond fans got a glimpse at recruits Caitlin Greiser, Molly Eastman and Courtney Jones, as well as draftee Shelby Knoll and replacement players Charli Wicksteed and Lilly Pearce, who all featured throughout the contest.
Despite back-to-back Saints majors in the final quarter, a late goal from Richmond's Katelyn Cox tied up the score at full time.
Cox was among the Tigers' best, stationed up forward where she was smart, reliable and tackled hard.
St Kilda got away early in the first quarter with the opening goal of the hit-out, before classy skipper Katie Brennan booted Richmond's first out of the ruck later that term.
Monique Conti and Eilish Sheerin were involved throughout, and Ellie McKenzie was explosive from the get-go, looking set for a big season. A highlight of the quarter came when McKenzie hit up Caitlin Greiser inside-50 with a pin-point pass, Greiser then taking an impressive mark.
Sarah D'Arcy was tough in the contest all day and took a strong contested mark inside 50, but wasn't able to make the distance.
This continued throughout a scrappy second quarter, as the Tigers had multiple shots on goal but couldn't convert.
Newly-appointed vice-captain and ruck Gabby Seymour lifted the team around her, while wing Kate Dempsey showed her pre-season fitness and was clean and tidy.
Richmond was five-points down at half-time but turned things around in the third term, locking the ball inside its forward 50 and booting three goals to give themselves a seven-point lead at the final change.
As she approaches her third AFLW season, Stella Reid looked confident in the Tigers' forward line, converting a set-shot with ease before McKenzie also slotted one from a similar spot.
Wicksteed showcased her damaging speed running through the midfield, while Eastman has slotted in well into Richmond's defence.
Star recruit Greiser, an All Australian and former AFL Women’s Leading Goalkicker, said the Tigers showed plenty of positives in the hit-out against her old side.
"I think the girls played really well and we worked well together," she said.
"There's going to be so many learnings to come from today, we'll go back and look at the vision and work on the positives and the things we need to work on as well.
"I felt confident to get out there and play my role... And I'm really proud of the group's effort and how we went as a team.
"Looking forward to going interstate with the girls next week, it's exciting to bond and creating that culture. Travelling together is really important, and I already feel like they're my family."
The Tigers final pre-season challenge will see them travel to Sydney to face GWS next Friday at Blacktown International Sports Complex from 4.05pm.
ST KILDA 2.0 2.2 3.4 5.5 (35)
RICHMOND 1.1 1.3 4.5 5.5 (35)
Goals: Brennan, Greiser, Reid, McKenzie, Cox

AFLW Tigers draw with Saints in match sim
Richmond AFLW drew with St Kilda in a match simulation at RSEA Park on Friday, the final score reading 5.5 (25) apiece.
The Tigers and the Saints played out three 20-minute periods followed by a 15-minute period, with no time on.
Richmond fans got a glimpse at recruits Caitlin Greiser, Molly Eastman and Courtney Jones, as well as draftee Shelby Knoll and replacement players Charli Wicksteed and Lilly Pearce, who all featured throughout the contest.
Despite back-to-back Saints majors in the final quarter, a late goal from Richmond's Katelyn Cox tied up the score at full time.
Cox was among the Tigers' best, stationed up forward where she was smart, reliable and tackled hard.
St Kilda got away early in the first quarter with the opening goal of the hit-out, before classy skipper Katie Brennan booted Richmond's first out of the ruck later that term.
Monique Conti and Eilish Sheerin were involved throughout, and Ellie McKenzie was explosive from the get-go, looking set for a big season. A highlight of the quarter came when McKenzie hit up Caitlin Greiser inside-50 with a pin-point pass, Greiser then taking an impressive mark.
Sarah D'Arcy was tough in the contest all day and took a strong contested mark inside 50, but wasn't able to make the distance.
This continued throughout a scrappy second quarter, as the Tigers had multiple shots on goal but couldn't convert.
Newly-appointed vice-captain and ruck Gabby Seymour lifted the team around her, while wing Kate Dempsey showed her pre-season fitness and was clean and tidy.
Richmond was five-points down at half-time but turned things around in the third term, locking the ball inside its forward 50 and booting three goals to give themselves a seven-point lead at the final change.
As she approaches her third AFLW season, Stella Reid looked confident in the Tigers' forward line, converting a set-shot with ease before McKenzie also slotted one from a similar spot.
Wicksteed showcased her damaging speed running through the midfield, while Eastman has slotted in well into Richmond's defence.
Star recruit Greiser, an All Australian and former AFL Women’s Leading Goalkicker, said the Tigers showed plenty of positives in the hit-out against her old side.
"I think the girls played really well and we worked well together," she said.
"There's going to be so many learnings to come from today, we'll go back and look at the vision and work on the positives and the things we need to work on as well.
"I felt confident to get out there and play my role... And I'm really proud of the group's effort and how we went as a team.
"Looking forward to going interstate with the girls next week, it's exciting to bond and creating that culture. Travelling together is really important, and I already feel like they're my family."
The Tigers final pre-season challenge will see them travel to Sydney to face GWS next Friday at Blacktown International Sports Complex from 4.05pm.
ST KILDA 2.0 2.2 3.4 5.5 (35)
RICHMOND 1.1 1.3 4.5 5.5 (35)
Goals: Brennan, Greiser, Reid, McKenzie, Cox
Final prac match Friday v gws

is there a replay anywhere of the match vs stk?

also rip, charley ryan foot injury, really looking forward to seeing her get a run, anyone know how bad it is?
Bone stress. Will probs need to do a mini pre-season too. Happened in a VFLW game.

ah yeah, just assumed she only played the 2(?) vflw games to get a run around before preseason

cos iirc by the time she was playing all the other aflw girls weren't playing for the borough
She could only play the two VFLW home and away games, though the injury wouldn't have allowed for any finals games as it turned out, even if the permission had been granted (it wasn't - it was declined).

tweed tigers girls won a flag

381345497_18205496215257722_6012377929061403574_n.jpg

Don't miss out on the headlines from Sport. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Two grand finals, two premierships. Those compelling statistics highlight just how far footy has come for both women and girls playing for the Tweed Coast Tigers AFC.
The Tigers QFAW Div 2 South side soared to success over the gallant Ballina Bombers 7-3-45 to 2-1-13 earlier this month, while in the Under 17.5 Girls Div 2 competition the Steve Foreman coached Tigers beat Morningside Panthers 3-3-21 to 2-6-18.
And as an added bonus, the boys under 15s also made the grand final before losing to
Tweed Coolangatta Blues, 9-6-60 to 6-6-42
RELATED LINKS
TIGERS DEFEAT PANTHERS IN UNDER 17 THRILLER
QAFL COLTS TEAM OF THE SEASON
Alannah McNally of Tweed Coast Tigers was Best on Ground in her team’s under 17 premiership win, while Tigers’ Makayla Sekac Tweed was Best on Ground in the senior women’s premiership victory.
Nadia Clark, the Tweed Coast Tigers’ Women’s Operations Manager, said the success highlighted the club’s “really successful women’s and youth girls program’’.
BoG Makayla Sekac surges ahead for the Tigers.

BoG Makayla Sekac surges ahead for the Tigers.
As a result of the senior women’s season, the club would be applying for elevation into the Division 1 competition next season.
“This nomination would make us the first ever Womens team in the Northern Rivers to play in Div 1,’’ Clark said
“Our 17 girls are also striving to nominate for Division 1 in the near future, following their successful season.’’
Rachel Kelly (co-caption) and Chantelle Brown (co-coach and co-captain) with premiership winning co-coach Katie Patison.

Rachel Kelly (co-caption) and Chantelle Brown (co-coach and co-captain) with premiership winning co-coach Katie Patison.
Women’s co-coach Katie Patison said the club’s growth, alongside fellow Northern Rivers clubs Ballina and Byron, has highlighted the strength of female footy since entering the Southeast Queensland competition.
“To grow the game and to continue to improve the quality of it, a First division team will provide the opportunity for players to really challenge themselves and showcase the talent the Northern Rivers has to offer,’’ Patison said.
The style of Tweed Coast Tigers' Summah Joyce.

The style of Tweed Coast Tigers' Summah Joyce.
“A Reserves team will then mean there will be more space for beginning players to take up AFL and share the love of our game.”
The Tigers, based at beautiful Cabarita, were founded in 2006 and now have 200-game AFL veteran Dean Solomon (Essendon, Fremantle) as its senior men’s coach and Patison and Chantelle Brown as its senior women’s coach.
Pre-season for men starts late 2023 while the women’s pre-season will start in early January. Visit www.tweedcoasttigers.com
The proud Tweed Coast Tigers women who claimed the premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The aflw season really needs to run on parallel with the vflw season

We really miss having a team to test players outside of the seniors.

(Not that it matters this year with all our injuries)

Crowds are clearly going down each year. Now the AFL has part of their EBA tied to crowd attendance they're hardly going to overinflate crowd attendances like they used to. Gil clearly is a woke try hard fool. Promising the W players they'll be the highest paid players in the land. Netball and basketball teams have 7 and 5 players on the field. W has 16.

The AFL deservedly got a massive pay rise, because they earned it. Sponsorship, crowds, memberships, merchandise, tv rights all off the charts. The W is amateur hour leaching off the men and then having the audacity to be ungrateful. Dillon should separate the leagues with clear delineation to show who earns what and who LOSES what. The WNBA earns nothing so justifiably the players get paid little. They actually rely on handouts from the NBA because the league runs at a loss otherwise and by rights should fold. The ridiculous amounts the W players already get and will get by end of the EBA has to come from somewhere and that can only mean grassroots football is losing out so a few hundred plodder ungrateful prima donnas can carry on and still complain about lol gender paygaps.

I wonder how much money each team hemorrhages from having a W team?

Screen-Shot-2020-12-21-at-3.07.29-PM-475x270.png

1698056464812.png

1698056504211.png

1698056548244.png

1698056588623.png

1698056627569.png

1698056667251.png

1698056705438.png

Here's a pic of the WNBA parade in front of 2 dogs, 6 hobo's and some poor lost tourists who just want to cross the street for a pizza.

9mkrv2.jpg

Last edited:
Playing at ikon hasn’t helped our crowds , with PRO out of action with works looming we had to make a choice , appears to me it was amenities first location second , a suburban ground preferably in the east would have made for better numbers. The immediate success of the game can’t be completely measured in crowd numbers , participation is more critical and they ultimately become AFL fans too , and on that level , numbers are soaring and that’s indisputable ,,,,thx daisy Pearce for that one

Crowds are clearly going down each year. Now the AFL has part of their EBA tied to crowd attendance they're hardly going to overinflate crowd attendances like they used to. Gil clearly is a woke try hard fool. Promising the W players they'll be the highest paid players in the land. Netball and basketball teams have 7 and 5 players on the field. W has 16.

The AFL deservedly got a massive pay rise, because they earned it. Sponsorship, crowds, memberships, merchandise, tv rights all off the charts. The W is amateur hour leaching off the men and then having the audacity to be ungrateful. Dillon should separate the leagues with clear delineation to show who earns what and who LOSES what. The WNBA earns nothing so justifiably the players get paid little. They actually rely on handouts from the NBA because the league runs at a loss otherwise and by rights should fold. The ridiculous amounts the W players already get and will get by end of the EBA has to come from somewhere and that can only mean grassroots football is losing out so a few hundred plodder ungrateful prima donnas can carry on and still complain about lol gender paygaps.

I wonder how much money each team hemorrhages from having a W team?

Screen-Shot-2020-12-21-at-3.07.29-PM-475x270.png

View attachment 1838537

View attachment 1838538

View attachment 1838541

View attachment 1838542

View attachment 1838544

View attachment 1838545

View attachment 1838546

The AFL deservedly got a massive payrise

Here's a pic of the WNBA parade in front of 2 dogs, 6 hobo's and some poor lost tourists who just want to cross the street for a pizza.

9mkrv2.jpg
Can't help but see this game going downhill. More teams have affected performance all around. Was looking forward to this season for us but I quickly realised I would regret it. When you see a soft kick to a player 20 yards away and they drop it with no one else around well it describes womans football in a nutshell. It's a lot more of Rugby than Footy:( Oh and I see our AFL performances have flowed through especially fitness-wise and keeping them on the park:(
I couldn't wait for it to start now I can't wait for the man to start lol

Four years ago today (on 17 Dec 2019) Richmond held it's inaugural men's and women's joint training session at Punt Rd. Here's my video from that day.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back