VFL Future direction - SANFL / AFL Reserves / PBs

The future of the Port Adelaide AFL reserves

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea I would watch them here in Sydney when they play in the reserves league. Would love to wear the PBs here!

Given that it comes down to dollars and paying off the state leagues….

It amazes me that they can buy out Docklands, but can’t produce an even competition.

I initially wrote on here several times I can't see it happening until after 2027 as that's when the CBA ends and they had to work out what the new cap was for both the men and women and the AFL funds the cap increases and it took forever to sign it - August 2023 and had to back date pay increase to 1st November 2022.

Then I saw how much increase in cash from the new TV/Media deal happens in 2025 about $78m extra over 2024 my guess is $525m v $447m and that the big cap increases were in 2023 and 2024 and I thought there is enough money to start in 2025 and still have the $$$ for salary cap increases and Tassie.

But looks like the AFL has committed to too many other things in 2025, 2026 and 2027. Plus they move slow at AFL House.

Last edited:
I initially I wrote on here several times I can't see it happening until after 2027 as that's when the CBA ends and they had to work out what the new cap was for both the men and women and the AFL funds the cap increases and it took forever to sign it - August 2023 and had to back date pay increase to 1st November 2022.

Then I saw how much increase in cash from the new TV/Media deal happens in 2025 about $78m extra over 2024 my guess is $525m v $447m and that the big cap increases were in 2023 and 2024 and I thought there is enough money to start in 2025 and still have the $$$ for salary cap increases and Tassie.

But looks like the AFL has committed to too many other things in 2025, 2026 and 2027. Plus they move slow at AFL House.
They move especially slow when it advantages VFL clubs, therefore is good for their bottom line, therefore is good for their bonuses.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This weeks Power game clashes directly with the Magpies game. Just another reason that we need out of this set up...
No idea why they couldn't move that SANFL game to Sunday.

Visentini, Anasta and whoever the sub is could have all played vs South.

And a reserve league actually makes the travel problem even worse for West Coast and Freo.
I don’t necessarily agree with that. The travel will likely be the same, just more people doing it, with 2 teams travelling at once.

If all the teams are involved, it would just be like the old school reserves playing the same team as the A’s do.

You will probably just see a lot more double headers, particularly for games on Saturday and Sunday.

The current VFL isn’t opposed to starting league games at 1100.

This weeks Power game clashes directly with the Magpies game. Just another reason that we need out of this set up...
Happens all the time in the VFL given its current structure.

Last week Norths played Essendon in the AFL, starting at 1310 on Sunday, whilst in the VFL it started at 1430 at Windy Hill.

About 3 people would have been at Windy Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back