Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
ntvep.png

Foxtel Cup: Round 2 Preview
Northern Territory Thunder v East Perth Royals
Date: Sunday, May 29th, 2011
Time: 5.15pm
Venue: TIO Stadium, Darwin (curtain raiser to Richmond v Port Adelaide)
Weather: Dry and Sunny, Max 29, Min 16

Broadcast: *LIVE*
foxsports.png
5.30pm
Webcast: *Live* 5.15pm

AFL Live Match centre: Foxtel Cup - NT Thunder v East Perth

Foxtel Cup Form Guide - Round 1 Matches
NT Thunder d Morningside @ Aami Stadium, Adelaide
East Perth d Nth Ballarat @ Pattersons Stadium, Perth

Local Form Guide:
NT Thunder (NEAFL) - Played 8, Won 8 - 1st on NEAFL ladder
East Perth (WAFL) - Played 9, Won 3, Lost 6 - 6th on WAFL ladder

Brief Analysis

The Weeds have been pulled from the competition and we should expect some high quality matches from this point of the competition. This will be the first time the Thunder will play at home in the Foxtel Cup, while for East Perth this will be their first away match in the series.

The Thunder (QAFL 5th 2010) are playing an exciting brand of football this year, and the inclusion of former Crows premiership player Andrew Mcleod will add a touch of class to the side for this match against East Perth. In contrast, East Perth (WAFL 3rd 2010) have fallen a little by the wayside this season in the WAFL, making this clash a mouthwatering prospect for the keen football follower. The Thunder are probably a class above the rest of the NEAFL this season, going undefeated to date, while East Perth have dropped to sixth having lost 4 in a row before winning last week. (As a fun aside, the Royals played the WAFL Thunder two weeks ago and lost...hopefully for them its not some sort of omen..)

I predict a close match, given the form of both sides, and the fact that the Thunder with Mcleod driving them, are a touch above the other sides from non traditional heartland states. Im tipping the upset win here with the Thunder to run out victors.

Note: this Foxtel Cup match is *Live* on Foxtel and on the NT Thunder website.

Jumpers:
Northern_Territory_Jumper.PNG

NT Thunder
120px-East_Perth_Royals_Jumper.svg.png

East Perth Royals

Wookie nice preview.

I tip East Perth but agree it should be a close game. NT are undefeated in the NEAFL this year although have won quite a few of their games narrowly. I notice that East Perths form has been a bit better of late.

The game is the only possible one where a team from outside of SANFL, WAFL, VFL can win against a team from the traditional strong leagues. I am looking forward to having a look at this game.

ntvep.png

foxsports.png
5.30pm

Local Form Guide:

Brief Analysis

The Weeds have been pulled from the competition and we should expect some high quality matches from this point of the competition. This will be the first time the Thunder will play at home in the Foxtel Cup, while for East Perth this will be their first away match in the series.

The Thunder (QAFL 5th 2010) are playing an exciting brand of football this year, and the inclusion of former Crows premiership player Andrew Mcleod will add a touch of class to the side for this match against East Perth. In contrast, East Perth (WAFL 3rd 2010) have fallen a little by the wayside this season in the WAFL, making this clash a mouthwatering prospect for the keen football follower. The Thunder are probably a class above the rest of the NEAFL this season, going undefeated to date, while East Perth have dropped to sixth having lost 4 in a row before winning last week. (As a fun aside, the Royals played the WAFL Thunder two weeks ago and lost...hopefully for them its not some sort of omen..)

I predict a close match, given the form of both sides, and the fact that the Thunder with Mcleod driving them, are a touch above the other sides from non traditional heartland states. Im tipping the upset win here with the Thunder to run out victors.

Jumpers:

NT Thunder

East Perth Royals

Thunder have a huge advantage playing at home. They have only lost 1 game in Darwin in the 3 years they have been in the competition and there last game at home was against Morningside in which they defeated the defending QLD Premiers by 20 goals !!

East Perth better turn up ready to play or they will be very surprised.
In saying this it would be a major upset for a "Qld" team to beat a WA team no matter where the game is played.

The shorter quarters will help the locals and it will be another shot in the arm for Territory football if they were to pull off a huge upset.

I give the Thunder a really good shot at winning. They are a much better side than they were last year when flogged by Sturt in Darwin. They have some dangerous players, McLeod, Ewing, Illet brothers, Tyrell in great form Rosier, quite deep. Should be close, Royals should win really given the comp they come from but prob the best list the Thunder has produced so could go either way here.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/114976/default.aspx

EAST Perth are the first team through to the semi-finals of the Foxtel Cup, after a thrilling six-point win over the spirited NT Thunder.

The Royals were lucky to survive an inspired late rally from the Thunder, who kicked the game’s last four goals but could not quite overrun their more experienced opponents.

East Perth closed out the match at 12.5 (77) to 11.10 (71), in the curtain-raiser to the AFL clash between Richmond and Port Adelaide

Starting to show that home ground advantage is huge in this comp. East Perth are probably a 5-10 goal better side, but they nearly got knocked off. In the same way North Ballarat are probably a 5-10 goal better side than East Perth.

I think it also shows that one of the AFLQ sides are the most likely to beat one of the big 3 league sides - although it's still pretty slim. Last nights game was about as good a chance as you'll get with NT being in form and East Perth completely out of form.

Thunder got a lot closer than i thought.

was expecting to be blown away. decent standard game as well, played in front of a decent sized crowd too.

ntvep.png

foxsports.png
5.30pm

Local Form Guide:

Brief Analysis

Jumpers:

NT Thunder

East Perth Royals

East Perth thrashed the local Peel Thunder two weeks ago.

A great win by the Royals last night. Playing in those conditions took a lot out of the players and they did well to hang on.

(Just an aside - the commentators are the WORST I have ever heard - especially Schwass. What a turkey.)

Gutted for the boys, they gave their all and came back strong, just couldn't quite get there. Was at the game, terrific atmosphere and a fair standard. They are clearly the best side in the NEAFL, would knock off a few of the lesser SANFL/WAFL/VFL sides on any given day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really disappointed, I was hoping NT could pull it off. At first I was opposed to an NT side being in AFL QLD at all because I thought it would kill regional football in the territory's league, much like the VFL's Tassie Devils did to Tasmanian football.

But so far so good. Here's to hoping they win the NEAFL.

East Perth thrashed the local Peel Thunder two weeks ago.

A great win by the Royals last night. Playing in those conditions took a lot out of the players and they did well to hang on.

(Just an aside - the commentators are the WORST I have ever heard - especially Schwass. What a turkey.)

Yes, those conditions must have been tough! Muppet. :rolleyes:

The umpires cruelled the thunder in that match. Wasted so much time stuffing around with bounces when none of them could. Just throw it up ffs. Another minute or two and East Perth were on toast. Even should have been had Ewing received a few frees for being mugged.

Yes, those conditions must have been tough! Muppet. :rolleyes:

The umpires cruelled the thunder in that match. Wasted so much time stuffing around with bounces when none of them could. Just throw it up ffs. Another minute or two and East Perth were on toast. Even should have been had Ewing received a few frees for being mugged.

Well those calls go both ways. Wulff copped a very late, deliberate looking elbow that went unnoticed by the umpires (not by foxtel though). Would've been worth a couple of weeks in the WAFL. I hear though the umpires let a bit more go in the NT so maybe thats just how it is there.

This match rated 29,000 on Fox, and outrated the NRL Toyota Cup.

Does anyone know what the largest physical crowd has been to a foxtel cup game, so far that is? I followed the live Twitter feed on this game and it was approx 2000 or so people at about half time (from memory). Considering that this is a small venue, I thought it was good going.

What game has been the highest stats for foxtel viewers so far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back