Foxtel Cup Rd 2 Preview: West Adelaide v Williamstown, Sat June 4th, Aami Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Foxtel Cup Round 2 Preview: West Adelaide v Williamstown
westvwilly.png

Date: Saturday 4th June
Time: 4:45pm local time (CST), 5:15pm AEST
Venue: AAMI Stadium, Adelaide
Note: This is a standalone match and NOT a curtainraiser
Weather: Shower or two, max 16.
Broadcast: *LIVE* 6pm - 7:30pm
foxsports.png

AFL Match Centre: Here

Foxtel Cup Record:
West Adelaide 15.10 (100) def. Ainslie 3.5 (23)
Williamstown 8.7 (55) def. Swan Districts 2.6 (18)

Local SANFL/VFL Record:
West Adelaide 5-3 (8 played) SANFL 4th
Williamstown 7-1 (8 played) VFL 2nd

Last match:
Norwood defeated West Adelaide by 54 points.
Williamstown defeated Casey by 40 points.

Brief Analysis

This weekend brings us what will be an epic clash between the two top ranked SANFL and VFL teams in the Foxtel Cup competition at the time of writing. Oddly perhaps, this game is a standalone twilight fixture at Aami Stadium on Saturday. This will be the first real test of a modern VFL club/AFL reserves team against a SANFL side, and the result will be interesting to those claiming the rights to "second best league" status. Its these second round matches that will enable us to see whether the lower ranked SANFL sides can match it with the top of the WAFL and VFL sides.

West Adelaide will field 3 AFL listed players (from Port), while Williamstown will field 9 (from the Western Bulldogs). Of the Port players, only Davenport has any real experience at AFL level, while for Williamstown Gilbee and Hudson have played quite a few games (Hudson being a former Adelaide recruit). In an interesting coincidence there will be no less than 3 players called Caruso named to the field.

Both teams enjoyed good wins in the first round of the competition, but Williamstown would appear on raw stats to be the better of the two teams at this point when local league results are factored in. West Adelaide are coming off a 54 point hiding at the hands of Norwood (SANFL 3rd), while Williamstown are coming off a 40 point win over the Casey Scorpions (VFL 5th). Im tipping another close game here due to the Victorians traveling over, but expect Williamstown to run out victors.

West Adelaide Team:

FB: Morris, Bricknell, Blesing
HB: Caire, Hartlett, Thompson
C: Anderson, Macreadie, Davenport
HF: Beech, Borholm, Piasente
FF: Agars, Webb, F.Caruso
Fol: Lobbe, N.Caruso, J.Ezard
I: M.Motlop, Gallard, S.Ezard, Kirk
E: Ribbons, Ahmat-Watkins, Hankin

Port Adelaide AFL Listed Players:
Jason Davenport, Matthew Lobbe, Marlon Motlop, Daniel Webb

120px-West_Adelaide_Bloods_Jumper.svg.png

Williamstown Team:

FB: S.Caruso, Markovic, Gilbee
HB: Schofield, Barlow, Stack
C: Tutt, Jolley, Davies
HF: Skinner, Panos, Veszpremi
FF: Hooper, Roughhead, Hahn
Fol: Hudson, Johnson, Dahlhous
I: Cordy, Johanissen, Rampe, Woods
E: Carr, McHarg, Cravino

Western Bulddogs AFL Listed Players:
Cordy, Gilbee, Hooper, Hudson, markovic, Roughhead, Skinner, Stack, Tutt, Veszpremi, Schofield
Barlow, Panos, Hahn, Johannisen, Dahlhous

120px-Williamstown_Seagulls_Jumper.svg.png

webb is also port listed.

an interesting team by us, a mix of first teamers and reserves players. without guys like brad fisher, ben fisher, ryan ferguson and silvester, i see us struggling a bit really. williamstown by about 3-4 goals, guys like gilbee, hudson, roughead and stack will probably be too strong for a team that only kicked 4 goals 8 last week with very little forward options. hopefully im wrong and we can get the win, but i have my doubts.

Williamstown Team:

FB: S.Caruso, Markovic, Gilbee
HB: Schofield, Barlow, Stack
C: Tutt, Jolley, Davies
HF: Skinner, Panos, Veszpremi
FF: Hooper, Roughhead, Hahn
Fol: Hudson, Johnson, Dahlhous
I: Cordy, Johanissen, Rampe, Woods
E: Carr, McHarg, Cravino

Western Bulddogs AFL Listed Players:
Cordy, Gilbee, Hooper, Hudson, markovic, Roughhead, Skinner, Stack, Tutt, Veszpremi, Schofield
Barlow, Panos, Hahn, Johannisen, Dahlhous
Pathetic.
I thought this would happen, SANFL and WAFL let alone the NEAFL, SFL and TFL clubs don't even have 15 AFL players alligned to them, Victorian clubs have that many available.

Hate it. Giving them an unfair advantage.
I hope in future seasons they ban AFL listed players from the competition, yes, that includes my team too. Should be showcasing lower level talent not putting some who have already made it onto TV.

Lot of AFL listed players though are just that...LISTED. Plenty of non-AFL listed players that are better footballers running around in the various state leagues.

But having said that, I would expect Willy to win by about 30points. Looks too strong and West have dropped away after a good start. Not their best side, can't see a lot of firepower there.

Ebert is out of Port's AFL side - was only listed as emergency but Davenport has now been added as an emergency ... as Port v Carlton is tomorrow, Dav could be out of Westies team?

West 12.5
Willy 15.6

Goals
West Beech 5, F Caruso 2, Agers, N Caruso, S Ezard, Macreadie, Webb
Willy Skinner 3, Panos, Hooper, Tutt, Veszpremi 2, Woods, Davies, Gilbee, Roughead

Possessions
West: Caire 16, Davenport 16, F Casuro 15, Macreadie 14, Morris 12
Willy: Jolley 22, Dahlhaus 19, Davies 19, Hooper 15, Hudson 13, Veszpremi 13

Hit outs:
Hudson 26
Lobbe 13

for a team with 17 bulldogs players, they should be filthy with their second half performance. about 8 first team westies players missing, and a couple playing their first league matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for a team with 17 bulldogs players, they should be filthy with their second half performance. about 8 first team westies players missing, and a couple playing their first league matches.

Skinner, Hooper, Dahlhaus, Tutt, Panos, Cordy, Johannison, Schofield have 2 AFL games between them. Neither Skinner or Hooper were superstars in their first game.

Veszpremi and Barlow have about 13 AFL games between them.

Roughead and Markovic have 17 games combined.

Gilbee and Hudson are the only real solid AFL players in that lineup, and they are both the wrong side of 30.

but they're deemed as afl standard being on an afl list. we had 4 in motlop, webb, lobbe and davenport, two havent played a game, lobbe has played 3 and davenport about 25. we had 3 guys making league level debuts, and a couple more with under 5 games. williamstown should have won by more, and i would go as afar to say that if we had a full strength team it wouldnt have been as easy as it was at stages for williamstown. however, in the end, we were simply outclassed by a bunch of afl level considered players.

that skinner looks a player though. a beautiful kick.

I'd seriously doubt Ed Barlow would be AFL standard anywhere. He was mainly brought in to be the measuring stick in pre-season timetrials.

I kid I kid. You have a valid point.

I wish I could have gone but I decided to stay home and watch the Dogs game. Too far to get from Magill to West Lakes by bus, would've missed some of the game anyway.

Skinner is a ripper. Will be a big drawcard if he finds his feet at AFL level.

Did you go to the game? what did you think of Luke Dahlhaus. Little guy with dreads for Willi. May be our elevated rookie this week.

i was indeed at the game. dahlhaus killed us in the center. clean, quick hands, started a lot of williamstown drives forward. however, we did give them a lot of room, lots of quality delivery forward and you would have loved to have been a forward for them in the first half. very accurate kicks too, basically across the whole team.

im not sure where williamstown finished, but i think it is forgotten that westies didn't make the finals last year. very proud to be only 19 points behind a team like williamstown.

a note to future foxtel cup matches, make up a budget. it's incredibly frustrating not knowing who the other teams players are

cheers mate.

IIRC Willi finished top 4 last year in the VFL. Fair effort by Westies.

Good day for my reserves teams. Willi winning and the Redlegs knocked off the scum districts :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back