SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Ok, new board and a new thread.

Who is your favourite goalie, and why.

Mine, Roberto Luongo.

In a p*** poor team this guy is a star, he has improved steadily over his years in the NHL and with a better team around him would be a lock for the Vezina.

Mikka Kiprusoff - this guy is an absolute freak, and has led the league in GAA the last two years. Has stolen game after game for Calgary with some of the most amazing acrobatic stick and gloves saves you will ever see.

Cost Finland Olympic Gold by sitting out in Torino.

I like the two guys you've both mentioned, but I have to say Henrik Lundqvist. Not only do I love pronouncing his surname, I love what he's done this year. Along with Jagr, those two have single-handedly resurrected the life in the NYR franchise. For a rookie goalie to help carry a team to the Playoffs, with a record of 30-12-9 and Save % of .992 is just insanely good.
Top it all of with Olympic gold for a somewhat underdog in Sweden, you could say its been a fairly successful year for "Henke".

Yeah Lenny I have to agree there too. I've still got game 7 of that final series on video and watch it a fair bit. He carried the Ducks that season (and playoffs in particular) with Kariya.

Marns said:
Yeah Lenny I have to agree there too. I've still got game 7 of that final series on video and watch it a fair bit. He carried the Ducks that season (and playoffs in particular) with Kariya.

He hasn't reached those heights again has he. The ducks beat the Wings in Four that year, he was unstoppable.

No he hasn't, which is a shame. Yeah they beat the Wings, the Stars and I think Minny. Huge effort.

Marns said:
No he hasn't, which is a shame. Yeah they beat the Wings, the Stars and I think Minny. Huge effort.

Yeah, wasn't the Minny series really good. Lots of overtime if IIRC. It was a good playoff series overall, just a shame the Devils won it, i hate the Devils.

Yeah I know what you mean, which puts me in a very difficult position as I've got noone to root for between NJ and NYR :p
I have to admit though, I loved watching scott stevens, as long as it wasnt against us.

I cant remember much about the Minny-Ducks series, and I cant find any info on it because I think nhl.com have deleted all of their Cup Crazy sites from the past few years.

My favourites of all time is a close call and an odd combination. Ron Tugnutt and Glenn Hall. With Tugnutt I can draw many parallels between him and me so I've always taken a liking. One time when I was young my goalie coach said I look a lot like Tugnutt in net so I started watching him closely and moulding my style around his more and more. He's also pretty much a career back-up for finally got his chance towards the end of his career and I have always admired his perserverence as well as the fact he was apparently one of the nicest guys in the NHL.
Glenn Hall invented the butterfly style of goaltending. In an era where it was not only considered unwise to drop to the ice (due to lack of masks) it was considered ineffective. Hall was often criticised for his style and was told he was never going to make it in the NHL. What ended up happening is that he completely changed the position and the way it is played. I think Hall is never given enough credit when it comes to speaking of the best goalie ever because he usually comes just in the top 5 behind Sawchuk, Roy, Plante etc. but I think he is the best ever.
Of current NHL goalies I'm a big fan of Kipper and Gerber. I haven't shaved for a couple of weeks so I have a sick red playoff beard like Kipper did last season. Also Gerber has overcome a lot of adversity to get to where he's got and nowhere deserves the success he's had this season (and Olympics) more than him.

Funny point about the beard.

We should all grow Playoff beards i reckon.

like marns, ive grown just attached to hank lundqvist, love him to pieces, but if v.c. is going to inlcude past players, cant go past him, the great man himself, #33

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no one beats paddy roy, i remember listening to him in an interview from when he was young and he couldnt speak a word of english. then watched his rememberance game in 2003 and he sounded very similiar. i dunno why its funny but it just is. also he was a mad goalie

martin broduer.
already has 3 stanley cups. amazing statistics. great puck handling, prior to the new rules he was like having a 6th skater on the ice.
only 32 years old and on his way to becoming the an all time great, if not the best.

and im a rangers fan.

Big fan of Martin Brodeur , Sabres have had a number of good ones over the years but all time favourite would be Billy Smith of the Islanders - you entered his domain at your own risk .

out of left field, and alwaysnorth has reminded me, every game ive seen him play, ive really enjoyed watching him, and thats rick dipietro. just really like to watch him, and sort of follow him too. like he is the kinda guy i tried to trade for in fantasy hockey even though he wasnt that good, but coz im a fan. kinda like straka when he was a king. if we ever get a fav. european thread, straka will get an early mention for mine

I love Marty, especially as a Pen. Hate the fact that he's with the rangers now though, he's better than that.

jimmy_clement#8 said:
out of left field, and alwaysnorth has reminded me, every game ive seen him play, ive really enjoyed watching him, and thats rick dipietro. just really like to watch him, and sort of follow him too. like he is the kinda guy i tried to trade for in fantasy hockey even though he wasnt that good, but coz im a fan.
Man, I had him at the start of our fantasy season and ended up dropping him because he sucks. :p

I think "The Rick" (R could be replaced with another letter) believed all the hype surrounding him after he went #1. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
What goalies (past or present) talk the talk? Furthermore, do they back their words up?
Goaltending is such a cut throat position that you don't see that many guys shooting their mouths off like say, Aker. I'm sure all of them at that level would have to be as cocky as anything but they don't feel the need to talk themselves up.
John Grahame talks a bit and he certainly DOES NOT back it up.
Gump Worsley is someone who springs to mind. He always had some interesting things to say and his stellar record speaks for itself.
Jacques Plante was always outspoken but more in his beliefs than his ability.
I don't think other goalies of the era like Sawchuk, Hall and Bower were too vocal though. In fact, Sawchuk was a real odd ball. I've been meaning to buy his biography for some time. He was a very disturbed man and apparently the book is a brilliant insight into the demons he dealth with.

I knew as soon as DiPietro was drafted it was a mistake - I also had the same reservations about Fleury....

But that's Milbury for you. Trades Luongo, drafts DiPietro. Trades Chara/Spezza (basically) for Yashin.

So in summary, the Islanders could have Spezza as their center, Chara on the blueline, and Luongo in goal. Dear Lord. And that's without even mentioning Olli Jokinen...

Milbury has run that team into the ground. They'll be breathing a sigh of relief knowing he's gone (at the end of this year I believe).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back