Drugs in country footy. Is there an issue that needs addressing?

Remove this Banner Ad

big hawk

Senior List
Dec 23, 2007
Barooga
AFL Club
Sydney
Just starting this thread to find out whether there is an issue with recreational drugs and MFL clubs. At present, hearing far too many allegations that there is a big problem with recreational drug use in many of the MFL clubs which is really disappointing and worrying to hear! Just would like to know if there is an issue and whether it needs to be addressed before it gets totally out of hand, especially on hearing that certain leaders at several of the clubs are presently players who dabble in this sort of behaviour? Just interested to see how other clubs are fairing?:eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Just starting this thread to find out whether there is an issue with recreational drugs and MFL clubs. At present, hearing far too many allegations that there is a big problem with recreational drug use in many of the MFL clubs which is really disappointing and worrying to hear! Just would like to know if there is an issue and whether it needs to be addressed before it gets totally out of hand, especially on hearing that certain leaders at several of the clubs are presently players who dabble in this sort of behaviour? Just interested to see how other clubs are fairing?:eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I've got know doubt that there would be drug use by some players at most if not all clubs, if players in the AFL are using and they have a hell of a lot more to lose by doing so, then there is every possibility it is just as big a problem in country football.
From me personally you hear a fair bit of talk about drug use around the Goulburn Murray football region and obviously some of the talk has to be true, never seen anyone using so can't say for sure. Do know that an ex-coach from the Goulburn-Murray area didnt hide the fact that he used.

Firstly. thanks Train!

Most country clubs are made up of primarily local "talent" so if theres problems at a town/suburb/city, then there is undoubtedly problems at a club.

Lets look at Bendigo for instance, Eaglehawk is a known drug suburb, and i know of atleast one Bust taken place at an Eaglehawk game, where players were arrested just prior to their match (theres a funny aspect, in that the Police Sergent incharge of the bust was an opposition player)

Over the past 4-5 years, i know of atleast 4 of the 7 sides in our comp, having a problem (whether they realised it or not, isn't up to me to decide) with players using/dealing recreational, illicit, and or Performance Enchancing Drugs

Its something that DOES have to be looked into, in the immediate future.

Infact just this week i read about a couple of listed players busted for dealing in Swan Hill

I believe it is a problem everywhere and I think every club that is not extremely isolated has its users. In Echuca/Moama just drop into OPT and check out whos not on it its very disapointing and disheartening, people die from just one go at the s**t just wait till a bad batch goes around. What happened to having a few quiet or noisey beers singing a few songs and watching the young blokes chase shielas around the pub. What happened to being sociable and just having a good time for the sake of having a good time not having to pop a "pill" to enjoy yourself are we a product of our breeding or are kids just Mummied too much and not given a good kick up the arse for making mistakes. Sure people will always experiment but a football club is for alcahol only and it should stay that way and players should be guiding these kids that way. It never used to be around and it shouldn't be near a football club, but increasingly it is. All those who use should do it elsewhere away from football we are the ones who should be respected in the community and role models not spaced out whack jobs. All who use piss off and do it somewhere else football is everyones domain don't ruin it for the rest of us.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::eek::mad:

I believe it is a problem everywhere and I think every club that is not extremely isolated has its users. In Echuca/Moama just drop into OPT and check out whos not on it its very disapointing and disheartening, people die from just one go at the s**t just wait till a bad batch goes around. What happened to having a few quiet or noisey beers singing a few songs and watching the young blokes chase shielas around the pub. What happened to being sociable and just having a good time for the sake of having a good time not having to pop a "pill" to enjoy yourself are we a product of our breeding or are kids just Mummied too much and not given a good kick up the arse for making mistakes. Sure people will always experiment but a football club is for alcahol only and it should stay that way and players should be guiding these kids that way. It never used to be around and it shouldn't be near a football club, but increasingly it is. All those who use should do it elsewhere away from football we are the ones who should be respected in the community and role models not spaced out whack jobs. All who use piss off and do it somewhere else football is everyones domain don't ruin it for the rest of us.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::eek::mad:
Hear, Hear Catter!! Thank God there are others out there who aren't accepting of this bullsh@t! Life is to good to be wasted out in space! Footy is life, nothing else matters!! (Until you get married, have kids, a mortgage over your head etc. etc.) Hey all good! Thanks for the reply!

Great call mate-totally agree. Footy Trips are un:mad:fortunately taken literally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back