Do we have a public holiday in Victoria before the grandfinal?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how completely this has been thought through, but the public holiday has been moved to October 23.

Lockdown ends on October 26 (yes I know that is the earliest possible date, but still). Cup weekend is the following weekend.

So, we get a long weekend but can't go anywhere, or do anything. Then the following weekend, when we could go away, we hvae to work on the Monday.

There's just so much stupidity here:
- Cup Day being a public holiday on a Tuesday is stupid (yes, I know the race is on Tuesday, but neither the race nor the public holiday HAVE to be on a Tuesday)
- We haven't had a public holiday since June. The September public holiday, as silly as Grand Final Day is as a reason, actually fills a pretty necessary gap in terms of giving people a break. Even more sensible this year, given lots of people haven't had a holiday, and the added stresses faced. So of course, we're removing that break...
- And shifting it to a week before the next public holiday, for some reason...
- And running it to align with the last weekend of lockdown, for some reason...
- instead of converting the following weekend, when travel will be allowed, to a 4-day weekend, thus providing everyone with the de-stress, travel, party opportunity they so desperately need

Utter madness!

noone is moving the day the melbourne cup is on

there is this thing called tradition, and contrary to millennial thinking, its longer than 5 years and actually worth preserving

noone is moving the day the melbourne cup is on

there is this thing called tradition, and contrary to millennial thinking, its longer than 5 years and actually worth preserving

I'm totally supportive of tradition when it exists for a reason.

But the important part of the Melbourne Cup, with all its history, colour and drama, is not the fact that it's run on a Tuesday. The race was initially on a Thursday, and was moved to Tuesday anyway. Monday would make a heap more sense.

Furthermore, the only justification for keeping it on a Tuesday would be that it has previously been run on a Tuesday. When that's the ONLY justification for something, and you can make a very strong case that changing that small aspect of it would be better in every way, that's a stupid tradition.

I'm totally supportive of tradition when it exists for a reason.

But the important part of the Melbourne Cup, with all its history, colour and drama, is not the fact that it's run on a Tuesday. The race was initially on a Thursday, and was moved to Tuesday anyway. Monday would make a heap more sense.

Furthermore, the only justification for keeping it on a Tuesday would be that it has previously been run on a Tuesday. When that's the ONLY justification for something, and you can make a very strong case that changing that small aspect of it would be better in every way, that's a stupid tradition.
Slavery was tradition

I'm not sure how completely this has been thought through, but the public holiday has been moved to October 23.

Lockdown ends on October 26 (yes I know that is the earliest possible date, but still). Cup weekend is the following weekend.

So, we get a long weekend but can't go anywhere, or do anything. Then the following weekend, when we could go away, we hvae to work on the Monday.

There's just so much stupidity here:
- Cup Day being a public holiday on a Tuesday is stupid (yes, I know the race is on Tuesday, but neither the race nor the public holiday HAVE to be on a Tuesday)
- We haven't had a public holiday since June. The September public holiday, as silly as Grand Final Day is as a reason, actually fills a pretty necessary gap in terms of giving people a break. Even more sensible this year, given lots of people haven't had a holiday, and the added stresses faced. So of course, we're removing that break...
- And shifting it to a week before the next public holiday, for some reason...
- And running it to align with the last weekend of lockdown, for some reason...
- instead of converting the following weekend, when travel will be allowed, to a 4-day weekend, thus providing everyone with the de-stress, travel, party opportunity they so desperately need

Utter madness!

Why is it madness?

Firstly, who gives a heck? A day off is a day off.
Complaining about that is madness.

Secondly, it's a Grand Final public holiday. There were two options - remove it completely as the Grand Final isn't even in Melbourne, or move it to the date that the Grand Final is on this year.

Option 1 would have sucked. So Option 2 is completely logical once you decide to keep it.

Personally, seeing travel is out of the question, I'd rather two days off in successive weeks than a 4 day weekend anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back