Skills Do A Scouting Report Of Your Own Footballing Abilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
I feel this could be helpful to people as the season is pretty much finished in most parts of the country and some are already looking ahead to next year. If you're looking for ways to improve your game - this could be helpful. Try to be as honest as possible with your assessment. Feel free to use a template similar to mine :thumbsu:

Scouting Report for Adam Selwood

Position Played: Half-Back Flank/Wing (occasionally)

Level of Football (Eg. High/Intermediate/Low): Low

Height: 6'1
Weight: 75kg

Strengths

-Reads the play well and positions himself well to intercept/defend balls coming into the defensive 50

-Very apt at launching rebounding attacks from the defensive 50. Runs and carries the ball well

-Possesses top end speed and explosive acceleration. Has a strong tendency to have multiple running bounces which helps break the lines and move the ball quickly from defense

-Despite being an attacking defender by nature, reguarly keeps opposing forwards in check. Does not conceed a high number of possessions due to disciplined defending and good defensive positioning

-Sells the dummy well by foot and by hand. Also possesses good elusiveness in traffic and in more open spaces

-Suprememly confident in own abilty (also a weakness)

-Good ability to arch the back and alude tackles. Breaks tackles surprisingly well for someone of slender stature

-Creative by hand in heavy traffic

Weaknesses

-Lacks kicking penetration and tends to kick more up and under when kicking for distance

-Does not possess any semblance of a left foot or a left hand. Prone to 'U-Turns' and attempting to kick bananas when forced onto his left

-Not particuarly courageous. Has a tendency to duck head in a marking contest

-Very much an 'outside' player. Often caught running ahead of the play which can often be detrimental to the team

-Struggles against 'bigger' sides who are better tacklers, thus limiting his running and linebreaking ability

-Lacks fitness

-Lacks composure with the ball on occasions. Rushes decision making

-Fails to adequately balance when kicking leading to a lot of shanked kicks when running at top speed

-Overconfident when it comes to running through tacklers

Add on my friends :thumbsu:

Position - Wing/Centre/Halfback (Depending on injuries/fitness)

Level of Footy - Currently Reserves

Height - (6'1)

Weight - 83kgs

Strengths

Pace and Acceleration

Love the chase down tackle/holding the ball, will chase a bloke 50m if I have to get him.

Will take the game on, believe I can beat anyone one and one (doesn't always happen though hehe!)

Left foot accurate over 30m (Struggle for depth)

Handball either side without thought.

55+m kick on the run.

Good size for a midfielder/winger - 6'1, 83kgs

I know how to use my body, often outmark or bring the ball to ground against much larger opponents.

My personal fav, can do a one handed pick up either side of my body at top pace, something State footy tried to drill out of me but never could.:D

Weaknesses

Injury Prone! Ruined my career before it got started unfortunately and seems to constantly interrupt my season. Can't remember the last time I got through a season without a major injury of some kind. (This year it was two broken fingers and two broken ribs:()

Match Fitness - I think stems from my lack of continuity from constant injuries.

Aggression - Can get a little stupid at times and has resulted in a few forced 'holidays'.

Depth in my left foot, can hit up targets but struggle for any real length beyond about 30m, probably due to a slightly awkward kicking action but at 25 finding it very hard to change it to a more fluid style.

Set Shots - Hate them with a passion and seem to shank alot.

Not sure if it is a weakness or not but I tend to expect a bit too much from my teammates at times, probably due to playing at a higher grade when I was younger I often weight a kick or handball to force my teammate to run into space and create, which can at times lead to a turnover from them either not realizing what Im trying to do or just not being capable of what I want physically.

don't mind the concept here but at 32 and not actually playing football in an actual comp (reclink this yr), my improvements are probably mainly just going to come with playing at a higher level but here goes:

strengths

- booming/accurate left boot
- a left footer who can actually right footed - i'm not sure why most can't as most drills at training are on the right side
- love to tackle, and actually dump players
- strong over the ball (80kgs at 168cms)
- both hands handball w/out thought
- self/player awareness

weaknesses

- fitness

this is probably my only one as all other weakness will come from this like not getting to enough contests and such

this where i think all of us need to look at the one weakness that holds the others back like matera above seems have the skills but his mindset seems to be the problem area (set shots, aggression, resistant to change)

in my footy camp i'm holding in oct

http://www.aussierulestraining.blogspot.com/

prioritising your weakness and addressing them is one of the aspects we cover

actually looking to play for a proper team next yr but can't train (work) which is why i didn't play this yr..also got a future number 1 draft pick being born in jan so not even sure if i'll have the time to play

Throw in a free flight and I'd probably attend!:D

The majority of my injuries have been impact ones that have often prevented me from maintaining the fitness levels I really want to achieve, I love to train its never been mental for me just have had a ridiculously rubbish run with injuries at times hehe.

My left foot kicking is something I've been working on the problem is I place it down with my right hand, a bad habit I got into as a junior that I've never been able to shake, very accurate but the action really prevents me from getting decent depth on the kick. Been trying to get into the habit of placing it down with my left but as soon as game day rolls around I revert to my right hand without thinking because like my handball I use my opposite side without thinking if I am on that side.

If anyones got any tips on toning down the white line fever I'd love to hear em! That is something I'd really love to take out of my game because it is such a stupid thing that's detrimental to my game.:thumbsu:

My personal fav, can do a one handed pick up either side of my body at top pace, something State footy tried to drill out of me but never could.:D

Sensational! :D

I can pick up 1 handed at full tilt with my left - despite not being able to do anything else with my left! Same can't be said for my right hand :(

No idea how it even came to be that way, very odd indeed

Sensational! :D

I can pick up 1 handed at full tilt with my left - despite not being able to do anything else with my left! Same can't be said for my right hand :(

No idea how it even came to be that way, very odd indeed

I think it is a very underrated skill, gives your opponent less of an opportunity to tackle you, however if you fumble can often look as though you aren't going in with your head over the ball which can look horrible in front of the coach.:eek:

However I think it would have limited use at AFL level simple because of the way the game has become so much about stoppage football and getting your body over the ball to try and draw the high contact or lock it up.

(pretending the ankle, knee (x2), back and shoulder injuries never happened - oh yeah, and INCREDIBLY optimistic....like all draft previews are ;)).

Scouting Report for Simon Nesbit

Position Played: CHB/CHF/Onballer/.....Ruck :eek:

Level of Football (Eg. High/Intermediate/Low): Lowest

Height: 6'2
Weight: 95kg (ahem....give or take 25kg)

Strengths

Superb reader of the ball in flight. When given the chance to jump at the ball is an exceptional mark. Hasn't learnt how to "stick" the landing yet.

Good spoil, but lacks direction. Regularly runs back into the pack to spoil, perhaps showing a lack of awareness of his surroundings, rather than any necessary courage.

Kicks very well off both feet, in space is deadly anywhere up to 40m. Possesses a curious ability to make the ball 'swing' very late with hard, very low stab passes.

Very quick, but lack of acceleration/agility means it's rarely seen. Does NOT like to bounce the ball - prefers to use his kicking to find targets downfield.

Can play a lockdown role, but ends up so focused on stopping his opponent he doesn't contribute to his own side. Is usually left to play his own game.

Uncanny knack of finding the ball on the deck, and getting it to teammates advantage. Suffers from lack of strength on occassion.

Likes to throw his weight around on the field, looking after smaller (and some bigger!) teammates.

Very creative with disposal, will invariably draw opponents to him first in order to find a team-mate in space.

Thrives playing against bigger opponents, using his leap to nullify them, and his speed to run off.

Loves the 1%ers. Has drawn votes for single-figure possession games before.

Very good at creating space - to the frustration of coaches when instead of attempting to mark, he taps over his head to unmarked players.

Weaknesses

Under pressure or at pace, kicking is wildly inaccurate. Set shot kicking is poor.....at best.

Second efforts are almost non-existant. If the first leap, tackle, or attack on the ball doesn't succeed, he'll be found lying in a crumpled heap once the pack clears.

Poor eyesight means he has no idea which teammate he is kicking too - will overlook the captain for someone in better position.

Lack of acceleration means he is often forced into quick release handballs - misses lots of targets through creating pressure on himself.

Invariably ends every game with ice on something, strapping somewhere else, and misses training all week recovering - only to get ready for another round the next week.

Doesn't get "angry" - shakes opponents hands, shares a joke during the game. Invariably cops the sly hits without retaliating, but hasn't learnt how to make an opponent "really earn it" off the ball - instead just plays "clean".

Scouting Report for Neng

Position Played: Utility (except Ruck and rarely Key Position)

Level of Football (Eg. High/Intermediate/Low): Low-Intermediate

Height: 5'10
Weight: 79kg

Strengths

-Good reader of the play, like to float off of opponent

-Good rebounder from the Def 50 although not known for run and carry as much

-Have a very precise kick, although not penetrating, can often hit a target

- Generally very composed on the ball, rarely rushes a kick, and doesn't mind taking an opponent on

-Take a good grab for my size, often play taller than I actually am

-When playing defensive, can shut down opponent, giving them very little

-Good judge of when to run off and provide a switch to catch my opponent off guard

-Good handskills, both sides

-Creative by hand in heavy traffic

- Good in clearance situations

Weaknesses

-Lack kicking penetration sometimes

- Poor left foot, can only kick 25m very inaccurately

- Courage can be tested (particularly as I play in the country), have been caught out shirking ground contests, getting better though. I rarely shirk an aerial contest

-Lack any sort of speed, which hurts my midfield game

-Gets pushed off the ball sometimes too easily

-Lacks endurance on the end of long runs

- Goal kicking is a bit of a worry

- Sometimes miss tackles when opponent is sprinting past and I am flat footed

- Sometimes can get caught ball watching

- Crumbing off packs is also not a specialty

Scouting Report for JCore

Position Played: Rover

Level of Football: Low (Local Junior Football - Under 16's)

Height: 5"10
Weight: 63kg

Strengths

-Tackling pressure and ability to bring down much larger opponents
-Finding a way to be first to the ball at stoppages and give the hands out to outside runners
-Always going hard and the ball, making second and third efforts around packs
-Handball or either side of the body
-Disciplined enough to more often then not play as an annoying, pain-in-the arse tagger and shut opposition players out of the game

Weaknesses
-Very slight build in the upper body. Lacks strength
-During play can often lack kicking penetration and accuracy, but not too bad off a set kick (eg. free kick or mark)
-Struggles with left foot kicking
-Hasn't got a big enough tank. Finds himself struggling to keep up with the play as an on-baller
-Kicking for goal a real weakness
-Lacking confidence to call for the ball when open
-Every so often will lack composure with the ball on occasions
-Fails to adequately balance when kicking leading to a lot of shanked kicks when running at top speed

What to do to improve before next season
-Develop a much better tank and try and improve pace to become a more damaging run-and-carry player around the ground
-Become more confident, try and become a leader in the team
-Do a lot more skills work, such as kicking
-Develop upper body strength

Scouting Report

Position Played: Wing/HFF/Rover

Level of Football (Eg. High/Intermediate/Low): Intermediate

Height: 5'10
Weight: 69kg

Strengths
- Very good reading the play and being in the right positions
- Good at ground level with pressure.
- Kicks both feet well.
- Good agility to get sidestep players.
- Very good at gathering the ball off the ground at pace.
- Good decision-making.

Weaknesses
- Inconsistent kick when having a set shot.
- Isn't very fit.
- Contested marking isn't great.
- Doesn't get much penetration when handballing with opposite hand.
- Fairly light can get bumped off ball a little easy by larger opponents.

Scouting Report for Gazza2815

Position played: Full Forward, Floating Tall Defender.

Level of Football: Low (junior, u/16, seniors div 3)

Height: 184cm
Weight: 103kg

Strengths
Good kick to a target up to about 40 metres

Reliable set shot

Knack for kicking goals around the corner and in field of play

Hard at it, hits packs hard

Decent hands, could be improved

Good at extracting the footy from the bottom of packs

Solid speed for size, quick over the first 10

Very good mark on lead

Reads it well coming into the back half when playing loose across halfback

Weaknesses

Fitness

Body language when teammates ignore his leads

Seniors now reserves after gaining 30kgs.
High Half Forward/Mid
6'1 184cm
120kgs

Strengths;
Leap
Contested possession
Courage
Kick both feet
Contested mark
Reading play
Vision

Weakness'