HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees
Deadly Derek Underwood, arguably England's greatest spin bowler has died aged 78.

He played 86 Test Matches, taking 297 wickets, the most by any spinner to have played for England. He was always a nemesis of Australia and bowled England to victory on many occasions.

Vale Deadly.

Last edited:
I watched Derek Underwood bowling for Kent in County cricket against Somerset. Viv Richards was playing
for Somerset and was in his prime. He couldn't work Underwood out at all. Viv kept playing and missing and
was out clean bowled by Underwood for 4. Derek Underwood at his best was amazing.

Along with John Snow he was my favourite English player. RIP.

That's an awesome recollection WireHawk.

John Snow, Derek Underwood and David Gower are the only England players that I liked.

My favourite obscure Underwood reference was in an episode of Outnumbered when the wife found out her husband had been dancing with another woman and wanted to know how slowly they'd been dancing together, to which he responded "it was more Derek Underwood than Shane Warne".

He scored his first and only f-c century in his 591st f-c match in 1984. I'm pretty sure that is a record.

Here's the scorecard. What makes it more remarkable is that it was hardly a match for the batsman. And even more remarkable again is who came in at #10 in Kent's second innings and scored a half-century.

He scored his first and only f-c century in his 591st f-c match in 1984. I'm pretty sure that is a record.

Here's the scorecard. What makes it more remarkable is that it was hardly a match for the batsman. And even more remarkable again is who came in at #10 in Kent's second innings and scored a half-century.

Tel's highest first class score. One for the notable scorecards I'd argue.

Ian Greig - Tony Greig’s younger brother

If you were selecting an England Team of the 1970s, Derek Underwood would be an automatic selection as spinner, along with Alan Knott. In fact, the team could look like this:

1. Geoff Boycott
2. Mike Brearley (c)
3. Bob Woolmer
4. Derek Randall
5. Tony Greig
6. Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott
8. Derek Underwood
9. Chris Old
10. John Snow
11. Bob Willis

If you were selecting an England Team of the 1970s, Derek Underwood would be an automatic selection as spinner, along with Alan Knott. In fact, the team could look like this:

1. Geoff Boycott
2. Mike Brearley (c)
3. Bob Woolmer
4. Derek Randall
5. Tony Greig
6. Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott
8. Derek Underwood
9. Chris Old
10. John Snow
11. Bob Willis
Good team. Brearley a great captain but an average cricketer. I think I'd have Dennis Amiss opening and Greig as captain. As for Underwood I think he makes England's best team of all-time ahead of greats such as Hedley Verity and Jim Laker.

WOW ! @ alderman (his highest FC score as well.

1. Geoff Boycott
2. Mike Brearley (c)
3. Bob Woolmer
4. Derek Randall
5. Tony Greig
6. Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott
8. Derek Underwood
9. Chris Old
10. John Snow
11. Bob Willis
If you were basing the team solely on performances in the 70s, I wouldn't have Woolmer or Randall in the side. I'd replace them with Edrich (3) and Gower (4).
As HalloweenJack said, Brearley can go out and Amiss can come in.
Keeper and bowlers are spot on, although Old would definitely bat above Underwood. As really should Snow.

So I'd go -
1. Geoff Boycott
2. Dennis Amiss
3. John Edrich
4. David Gower
5. Tony Greig (C)
6. Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott
8. Chris Old
9. John Snow
10. Derek Underwood
11. Bob Willis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The late Mike Denness would later regret not having Derek Underwood not bowling in tandem with Fred Titmus while the Adelaide wicket was still recovering from overnight rain on the first day of the 1974/75 5th Ashes Test in Adelaide. It allowed Australia to recover from being 5/94 to be all out for 304. Australia eventually went on to win the match.

On 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back