Darren Milburn

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 39
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 92 kg
DOB: 15 April 1977
Recruited From: Calder U18

Outlook

He might be the elder statesman of the Cats but Milburn is still playing quality football. Has averaged 21 disposals a game over the past two seasons during a time when Geelong has dominated the competition. His experience in defence and decision-making under pressure has been exemplary and it appears he has another season or two in him.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

# Played 22 games including all three finals
# Had 13 games with 20+ disposals
# Played for Victoria vs. dream team in AFL hall of fame game
# Was a nominee for All Australian team

# Played all 25 games in premiership season
# Finished 4th in Geelong’s best & fairest voting
# Named in All Australian team for first time
# Played 200th game in rd 12, a 50 point win over Brisbane
# Ranked 17th in AFL with 562 disposals, 12th in marks with 179 and 10th in handballs with 288
# Had 17 games with 20+ possessions
# Had career bests with 33 possessions and 23 handballs in rd 18 win over Richmond

# Played all 22 games
# Finished 6th in Cats best & fairest
# Ranked 18th in AFL with 167 marks
# Had 14 games with 20+ disposals
# Member of Geelong’s NAB Cup winning grand final team

# Played 23 of 24 games, including both finals
# Had 15 games with 20+ possessions
# Finished 5th in Geelong’s best & fairest voting
# Equaled career best with three goals vs. St Kilda in rd 7 win at Telstra Dome. Also had 29 disposals and claimed three Brownlow votes
# Named as Cats best team and most constructive player
# Played 150th game in rd 5 vs. Carlton, a 70 point win
# Ranked =12th in AFL with 146 marks
# Represented Australia vs. Ireland International Rules Series

# Played 23 games including all three finals
# Averaged 23 disposals in the finals
# Had a career best 14 tackles vs. Freo in rd 20. also had 32 disposals in that game
# Finished 3rd in Geelong’s best & fairest voting
# Ranked ninth in AFL with 134 marks
# Had 56 hit outs as ‘third man up’
# Played in Wizard Cup grand final against St Kilda

# played 20 games and kicked five goals
# Finished 11th in Geelong best & fairest

# Played 15 games and the Cats won nine of them
# Played 100th game against NM at Skilled Stadium in rd 18
# Finished 10th in Geelong best & fairest
# Kicked his only goal for the year against West Coast in rd 14
# Received six Brownlow votes

# Played all 22 games for the first time in his career
# Had career best seven tackles in rd 21 win over Lions

# Played 17 games including elimination final against Hawthorn
# Played 50th game in rd 4 vs. NM at Telstra Dome
# Had nine games with 20+ possessions
# Had first 30 possession game in rd 20 win over West Coast

# Played 21 games and kicked 15 goals
# First Brownlow votes (3) came in rd 2 after getting 29 disposals vs. Dogs.
# Kicked a career best three goals against Port Adelaide in rd 19
# Had nine games with 20+ possessions

# Played 15 games and kicked five goals
# Gathered 20+ disposals in last three rounds
# Earned AFL rising star nomination

# Made AFL debut in rd 1 vs. Richmond at MCG. Kicked two goals, had 17 disposals and made six tackles
# Went on to play 10 games, including both finals
# Made finals debut against NM at MCG, gathering 25 disposals
# Played in Ansett Cup grand final against Carlton

# First year with the Cats and did not play a senior game

# Played with Calder in TAC Cup
# Named in TAC Cup team of the year
# Played AFL reserves with Collingwood and Sydney as top up player

Re: No. 39 Darren Milburn

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Brilliant game today, spoiled almost everything that came near his opponent. Linked up with Scarlett to get the ball out of the defensive 50 heaps of times. All Australian form

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Brilliant game today, spoiled almost everything that came near his opponent.

Yep.

Defensively, he put on a spoiling clinic. People talk about Dustin Fletcher's effort just recently, well Dasher did that about 10 times over on Sunday. Some brilliant work.

Milburn not done yet

http://www.gfc.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=3933&newsId=54786

Milburn not done yet

10:09 AM Sat 26 January, 2008
By Ben Broad
for gfc.com.au

FOR someone as resilient as Darren Milburn, it comes as somewhat of a surprise that he can even contemplate the finish line.Perhaps Geelong’s all-conquering 2007 season ticked off a couple of ‘must dos’ on the versatile defender’s career wish-list.

After achieving that much-craved club premiership and an All-Australian medal for the trophy cabinet, Milburn, the oldest player on the Geelong list, could be excused for putting on his slippers, grabbing his pipe and finding a comfy chair at Skilled Stadium.

However at 30 years of age – Milburn will turn 31 in April – the man known as ‘Dasher’ showed in 2007 he might just be entering a phase of career-best form.

Or can the Cats’ most experienced player see the end after 213 senior matches in the blue and white hoops?

“I can probably see it in sight,” he told gfc.com.au.

“I’ve just signed a two-year deal … the body could pack up in a couple of months, so who knows?

“Injuries play a big role and I guess form and that, too, so it’s hard to say [how long I’ll play for]. I’d definitely like to play out these two years of my contract and see how we go [from there].”

While Cats fans need not worry about Milburn’s future for at least the next two seasons, the smart money would have to be on him playing on and on and, well, on – if recent history is anything to go by.

Milburn has not missed a match since round 1 of the 2005 AFL season, and has missed just five matches in the past five years – pretty impressive stuff for a guy who prides himself on doing the tough stuff.

His importance was underlined in a couple of Geelong's finals, with his ability to play tall – in the absence of All-Australian centre-half back Matthew Egan – a key to the Cats’ backline success.

Geelong fans have become accustomed to seeing the wiry No.39 cut off opposition forward thrusts, his safe hands and sure ball a trademark and ultimately leading to him earning deserved All-Australian honours in 2007.

But this is the time of year when Milburn lays his groundwork for the season ahead.

“I’m still expected to do everything,” he said.

“I’m one of these players who likes to get out there and do it.

“I don’t try to take too much time off, I just try to get out there and do everything.”

As for a possible NAB Cup start, the popular Cat was unsure what route coach Mark Thompson and his assistants would go down in 2008.

In past years, the Cats have launched all-out assaults on the pre-season competition although after last year’s success Milburn wasn’t so sure what approach the club would take.

“I’d say they will play a few younger players, I’m not sure how they’re going to work it,” he said.

“We’ve probably played our best sides over the last couple of years and gone pretty well in it, so yeah it’ll be interesting to see what the coach and the coaching staff come up with.”
Mr Evergreen.

Re: Milburn not done yet

I hope he never leaves.
Such an important player for our defence, he isn't as important as Egan and/or Scarlett but that ability to chop off so many opposition thrusts and rebound is something that is extremely important and we'll need it again if we're to win the flag.

Re: Milburn not done yet

I hope he never leaves.
Such an important player for our defence, he isn't as important as Egan and/or Scarlett but that ability to chop off so many opposition thrusts and rebound is something that is extremely important and we'll need it again if we're to win the flag.

Agreed. He'll be even more important in the early rounds now that both Egan and Scarlett could miss, according to new reports.

Thing is, he's been known to occasionaly drift forward for a goal on the odd occasion. A player who can bleed you from both ends of the ground is more than a tad handy:thumbsu:

Onya for making the AA Dasher! For good or for bad, you'll be 'on the radar' this year...

2008 Stats

dasher1.gif

dasher2.gif

dasher3.gif

dasher4.gif

Awards

Geelong
Third best and fairest 2004
Fourth best and fairest 1999, 2001, 2007
Fifth best and fairest 2005
Hall of Fame
Best team and most constructive player 2005

Representative honours
Victoria vs Dream Team 2008
Australia vs. Ireland International Rules Series 2005

AFL
All Australian 2007
All Australian nominee 2008
AFL Rising Star nominee 1998

TAC Cup
Team of the Year 1995

Premierships
NAB Cup 2006 (Geelong dft. Adelaide)
AFL 2007 (Geelong dft Port Adelaide)

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Darren Milburn

At the age of 33years 155days Darren finished his 2010 season his 14th over all with the Cats, amassing a total of 278 games.

The wiry number 39 was defying old father time,his last season had been one of his best in what most would agree had been a very very good careerer to date.

The question was being asked could the man Geelong fans call Dasher play on in 2011 and reach the magical 300 games.

The stage was set with the agreement of a one year contract and the Geelong faithful strapped them selves in for the new season.

2011 brought the new sub rule into play and Darren was first cab of the rank to fill the position rd1 against the Saints.And as it happened he was called on early with a sickening injury to Joel Selwood,and he did what Darren always did and gathered a lazy 14 possessions in a scrappy old game and for good measure finished off by kicking a last minute goal to be an unlikely hero in a one point win.

His form remained solid through rounds one to thirteen until finishing on the bench against the Saints with an Achilles injury and missing the next four matches and as a result loosing any chance of making the 300 game milestone and perhaps his chance at a third Premiership.

He returned to play his part in rounds 18,19,20 and 24 helping facilitate the player rotations crucial in the end to the teams ultimate success and third premiership in 5 years.

Dasher may not have taken the field in the final series but he was a big part of the 2011 push for the flag.

Darrens last game for the Cats was rd 24 a huge win against Collingwood,he played 14 games for the year and never tasted defeat and finished with a total of 292 games over 15 wonderful years.

LEGEND OF THE GEELONG FOOTBALL CLUB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back