Senior Darcy Wilmot (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Young guns Lohmann, Wilmot extend stay at Lions den

230297_Wilmot_Lohmann_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have completed an impressive double signing to have young guns Darcy Wilmot and Kai Lohmann extend their time with the Club.

With plenty of excitement already surrounding the Lions ahead of Saturday night’s home Preliminary Final at The Gabba, it has been amplified by securing two of the Club’s future stars in the lead up.

Wilmot, who was already contracted until the end of the 2025 season, has signed a two-year extension to remain a Lion until at least the end of 2027.

While Lohmann has resisted the temptation from rival clubs trying to lure him back home to Victoria by instead penning a new two-year deal with Brisbane.

“We are thrilled to have Darcy and Kai staying at the Brisbane Lions as they are both promising talents who we believe will play important roles in the future success of our Club,” Lions general manager of football, Danny Daly said.

“Darcy made his debut in the finals for us last year and from that moment he has just looked at home at AFL level and continues to improve each week.

“Kai has worked hard and was rewarded with several AFL games in what was an injury interrupted year, but we know what he is capable of over the next two years.”

Wilmot has come along in leaps and bounds since making his debut in last season’s Elimination Final win against Richmond.

As a result, the dashing and charismatic defender has helped the Lions become a true contender in 2023 and at the same time was named the Round 14 nominee for the AFL Rising Star.

Now the 19-year-old from Melbourne, who was the Club’s first pick in the 2021 NAB National Draft with selection 16, wants nothing more than to call Brisbane home.

“I am pumped to sign on for two more years with the Brisbane Lions because I couldn’t imagine myself being anywhere else than here with this Club and this group,” Wilmot said.

“I love the culture of the Club which is due to the quality of people here including players, coaches and staff. And Brissy (Brisbane) is a beautiful place to be.

“We have a bright future ahead of us and I want to help the Brisbane Lions continue to be successful and give this Club what it deserves by going all the way.”

Fellow Lions young gun Lohmann echoed the words of his teammate when explaining why he is staying in maroon, blue and gold for another two years.

The 20-year-old forward known for his high-flying marks and craftiness around goals made six appearances at AFL level this season before it was cut short due to a broken collarbone.

Though with a taste for the top level Lohmann has taken plenty of confidence and is determined to hit the ground running when he returns to play in 2024.

“What made me re-sign was the great group that we’ve got here, the support and love everyone has for each other is like family and the relationships I’ve made are great and I have so much fun with my best mates every day,” Lohmann said.

“I’m excited for the next couple of years ahead and what it might hold for this footy club and myself individually - I’m ready to work hard and learn off the coaches and my teammates to get better every day and to achieve what I want to achieve.

“I feel like I haven’t achieved what I was hoping in playing more AFL so I’m excited to do that over the next few years and really make a name for myself.

“It’s obviously shattering being injured but I’m over the moon the boys are doing so well and ready to bring energy to the group in these exciting weeks ahead hopefully.”

The signings of Lohmann and Wilmot cap off a big week for the Brisbane Lions as they come just a day after Irish defender Conor McKenna also committed to the Club for two more years.

‘Ripper of a kid’: Darcy Wilmot’s rise from delivering pizzas in Doreen to the AFL grand final

When the ball is bounced for the AFL grand final, more than a few shouts of encouragement for Brisbane and one of its young players will come from the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

They will be for a dashing young Lion from Doreen with strong ties to the Magpies.

Darcy Wilmot’s father, Grant, played for Collingwood in 1980, coached by Tom Hafey.

That season the Magpies were routed by Richmond in the grand final, and on Saturday Grant Wilmot’s 19-year-old son and his Brisbane teammates will be out to do something similar to the black and white.

Collingwood captain Darcy Moore will be among Darcy Wilmot’s opponents at the MCG.

Their fathers were teammates at the Magpies, and in 1989 they were together at Eltham, where Brownlow Medal-winning Peter Moore was the senior premiership coach.

Grant Wilmot died of a heart attack in 2016 at the age of 59.

Five years later the son he loved watching play junior football was drafted from the Northern Knights.

Wilmot senior was a formidable footballer in the old Diamond Valley league.

He started and finished his career in the “DV’’, and in between had three years with Preston in the VFA and three with Collingwood in the VFL.

Wilmot was in the 1978 Preston team that lost to Prahran in the grand final. Reported for striking, he was suspended for six games.

It was a rugged era in the VFA but Wilmot had done some boxing as a middleweight. He was happy to accommodate anyone wanting to mix it up.

“Grant was a hard player and a skilful player,’’ former Preston coach Peter Weightman says.

Referring to the 1978 VFA grand final, he says: “There were quite a few melees in that particular game. And both sides had players that wouldn’t take a backward step. Grant Wilmot was one of those players.’’

Wilmot played five games for Collingwood in 1980.

In his third appearance he kicked four goals and had 20 touches against St Kilda, earning Brownlow Medal votes.

Peter Daicos, the father of brilliant brothers Josh and Nick, was a teammate.

Former Collingwood captain and coach Tony Shaw says Wilmot was a “ripper bloke who trained like a demon and got every ounce out of himself’’.

Shaw remembers him doing boxing for extra training and fitness.

After finishing at Collingwood, Wilmot went back to Montmorency, and then spent time at Heidelberg West, all the while enhancing a reputation as one of the best and toughest players in a league where fists flew freely.

When Peter Moore took over as coach at Eltham in 1989, Wilmot was lured across as a playing assistant coach.

Garry Ramsay has coached across the competition – now the Northern league – for the past two decades but was then a callow 20-year-old at the Panthers.

He says Wilmot was the enforcer the young team desperately needed.

“Grant was right at the end of his career, he would have been in his 30s,’’ he says.

“We weren’t the toughest side and we were pretty quiet, but he protected the young fellas. He made us all walk taller.’’

Eltham won the Division 2 premiership that year, the only flag of Peter Moore’s distinguished career.

After stints coaching Croydon and Heidelberg, Wilmot returned to Eltham, coaching another Division 2 flag in his own right.

Ramsay was his vice-captain.

“He was a great developer of kids and a great coach. He was a massive influence on me,’’ he says.

Wilmot then found his way back home to coach his beloved Montmorency to close the 1990s. He was named on the half forward flank in the Magpies’ team of the century in 2000.

In the following years he got a kick from watching his son come through junior football, with sufficient promise to gain selection in the Victorian Under 12 schoolboys team.

Darcy Wilmot started his football in the Auskick program at Yarrambat juniors and across 107 games became one of their most decorated players.

He was also a club favourite and a “ripper of a kid’’, president Warren Casey says.

“Very humble. You couldn’t wish for a better junior,’’ he says.

“Even when he was playing with the Knights and he wasn’t meant to be training with us, he’d be down training with the boys because he felt he needed to give back to his club.

“When he gets back to Melbourne he comes down every now and then with his mum (Mel) for a parma on the Thursday nights and catches up with the club and the people around it.

“Yeah, much loved around here. How he is around Brisbane is how he is around us.’’

Wilmot was part of five Blue division premiership teams, won best and fairests at Under 11 and 15 level, took the Under 15 league medal, and twice represented the Northern league in AFL Victoria metropolitan carnivals.

In 2019 Yarrambat presented him with its perpetual trophy for “outstanding achievement’’.

His teammates at the club included North Melbourne’s Cooper Harvey, 2023 draft prospect Nate Caddy and Carlton VFL-listed Noah Barnes.

Long-serving Yarrambat official Sam Barnes, Noah’s mother, is a family friend of the Wilmots and one of Darcy’s biggest fans.

“My eldest son played with Darcy right from Auskick all the way through so I’ve had the benefit of enjoying his journey for a long time,’’ she says.

“Just a great kid. My son met him on their first day of prep. He knew nobody, Darcy knew nobody and they were buddied up in prep on their first day at Yarrambat Primary. And he has not changed one bit. He’s the most genuine-hearted and driven young man.’’

Sam Barnes can recall Darcy Wilmot doing deliveries on his bike for the Doreen pizza shop.

Last Saturday she was torn when the club she supports, Carlton, met the Lions in the preliminary final.

“I’m like, OK, Darcy is playing but it’s been a long time for Carlton,’’ she says.

Yarrambat is a juniors-only club (and, aside from Darcy Wilmot and Cooper Harvey, counts AFLW trio Kirsty Lamb, Gabby Newton and Brooke Plummer as past players).

When it came time to find a senior team, the Wilmot family was happy to see Darcy align with the black and white of Montmorency in honour of his late father.

Despite being part of the Northern Knights squad, he took on the extra work of a pre-season at ‘Monty’ ahead of the 2021 season.

By coincidence, it was Grant’s old teammate and pupil at Eltham, Ramsay, who was in charge.

“You could tell,” Ramsay says.

“He was a 17-year-old competitive beast. Any competitive stuff in pre-season he was smashing away with the best senior footballers, he loved the physical stuff.”

Ramsay selected him for his senior debut against Monty’s great rival Greensborough when he was on a break from the Knights.

He remembers the impact Wilmot had in the local derby.

“It was a night game and there would have been 3000 people there. He absolutely dominated, was best on ground and we caused an upset,’’ he says.

“He played on the back flank, he was just dashing, bouncing and running, and they couldn’t tackle him, couldn’t catch him.

“He kicked it ten metres longer than anyone else and he was pretty tough too.”

Ramsay believes the confidence gained from starring against men in the black and white jumper his family held so dear helped propel Darcy Wilmot towards the 2021 AFL national draft.

“He was only just going at the Northern Knights before then, he was probably averaging 15 possessions a game, but that night game just spring-boarded him,’’ he says.

“The next week we played against North Heidelberg and there were nine recruiters there watching him.”

Perhaps a Lions scout was among them: they swooped on the dasher from Doreen, with AFL draft oracle Kevin Sheehan describing him as a “very special talent’’.

Like a lot of people in the north of Melbourne, Peter Weightman, 74, has enjoyed following Darcy’s rise at Brisbane.

“He’s doing really well,’’ he says.

“He has a crack. He’s quite an aggressive player when it comes to attacking the footy and his father was exactly the same. I can see a lot of Grant Wilmot in his son.’’

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: Darcy Wilmot

The former grand finalists have had a far from impressive 2024.

With just the one win against a struggling North Melbourne side, and average performances across their three losses, it’s hard to pick any particular player and claim any sort of improvement on their strong season last year. Despite this, numbers suggest a few players have lifted.

Darcy Wilmot has had a significant lift in his third season. As per Wheelo, Wilmot has jumped +4 in his individual player rating, now ranked above the likes of Charlie Curnow, Tim Taranto and Nic Martin in 2024 (rank #90 amongst players featured in 3+ games this season).

Up to an average of 19 touches (15.6 in 2023), to go with a lift in tackles, pressure acts and spoils and a significant jump in metres gained (from 307 to 446.7 thus far), Wilmot looks stronger across the board in a struggling Brisbane backline.

Of course, as a pick 16 in 2021 and with plenty of game time, you’d expect a lift of this sort from Wilmot, particularly with an increasingly important role in the absence of Keidean Coleman.
Nice little acknowledgment for the Pepsi kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back