List Mgmt. Dan McStays 3 yr deal

Remove this Banner Ad

All of you that mark Dan on marks/goals - replay yesterday and focus on the dirty work he does. Smashing in on the ground clearing a path for his small forwards. His tapons. His hands and handballs in tight that regularly result in goals. Short passes to set someone up.

We have the best forward setup in the game. Dan's contribution, and his style of play, are an integral part of this. We need him, and he is only getting better.

The club did not offer him 3 years. - above the 2 year standard - for a reason. More power to you, Dan.

All of you that mark Dan on marks/goals - replay yesterday and focus on the dirty work he does. Smashing in on the ground clearing a path for his small forwards. His tapons. His hands and handballs in tight that regularly result in goals. Short passes to set someone up.

We have the best forward setup in the game. Dan's contribution, and his style of play, are an integral part of this. We need him, and he is only getting better.

The club did not offer him 3 years. - above the 2 year standard - for a reason. More power to you, Dan.
Add to that his ability to be a relieving tall target coming out from a defensive kick in. This is so important now days with the fwd press.

He was great against the hawks. I was a big knock on Mcstay thinking he would never amount to much and to be honest I think I, like most, looked at his athleticism and thought we should measure his success as his ability to tear games apart. The reality is that he has limitations. What he is though is an example of how Fagan and co have found a team need, looked through the list and found players to put in those positions and play in a way that maximises their strengths. There are players all through the list having season best years because their skills are being maximised!

Add to that his ability to be a relieving tall target coming out from a defensive kick in. This is so important now days with the fwd press.

He was great against the hawks. I was a big knock on Mcstay thinking he would never amount to much and to be honest I think I, like most, looked at his athleticism and thought we should measure his success as his ability to tear games apart. The reality is that he has limitations. What he is though is an example of how Fagan and co have found a team need, looked through the list and found players to put in those positions and play in a way that maximises their strengths. There are players all through the list having season best years because their skills are being maximised!
I agree and further to that I reckon Fages has devised a plan to maximise the teams strengths!
As well as the individual players!
Whoever said that Chris Fagan is not tactically sound is kidding themselves!

As a point of reference. it took Tom Hawkins until his 6th season to be returning more than 2 goals a season. Dan is in his 6th AFL season but spent the first 3(?) seasons at full back. So there is still time for him to develop his goals per game return.

I agree and further to that I reckon Fages has devised a plan to maximise the teams strengths!
Yeah absolutely. Think Cameron at full FwD with room to move with the sling shot coming in, Robbo with space on the wing to wind up and cause damage, Rich getting space through the Zone to have time to be attacking, Zorko in that pressuring fwd role he has now....

Dan’s work rate off the ball was exceptional yesterday. Of course, Dan again burnt me in the weekly goalkicking comp, which serves me right, but not for the first this year he had a very, very good game without hitting the scoreboard. As others have stated, he’d almost have been our cleanest one touch player yesterday.

He was really good yesterday.

Took marks at important times and worked hard.

A few years ago he was a mug lair, trying to take mark of the year at least once every game.

His maturity into a true team man and role player is testament to both himself and the influence of Fages.

Just thinking, I don't think we've had a speccy in the last 6 weeks or so? Charlie has gone to using his speed, McStay to getting the ball down, and moving McCarthy up field more running. But its working for us! :)

After watching the highlight, seeing Rayner McCluggage and Hippy hitting their set shots sweetly, I kind of wish McStay had gone for that one just on the 50. His pass of was great and I think lead to a goal so can't complain. But he has got a nice kick on him when he's on song. Something to look forward to!

I think its even more fundamental than being tactically sound. He hasn't tried to develop the payers around a tactical playing model but found a model that fits the players. That takes a lot of self confidence and calmness.

McStay isn't the traditional forward but is sop strong he is surrounded by smalls and his job is to feed them.
Robbo in many clubs would have been pensioned off as he lost place to younger, better midfielders but he was found a spot on the wing, and hes a pretty unconventional one.

I expect to see other clubs emulate both of these type of positions/players.

We've gone from the hunters to the hunted and the copied is the next phase of our development.

He was really good yesterday.

Took marks at important times and worked hard.

A few years ago he was a mug lair, trying to take mark of the year at least once every game.

His maturity into a true team man and role player is testament to both himself and the influence of Fages.

This is where I think Charlie was earlier in the year, but he seems to have dropped that and is working hard up and down the field. Love watching his run.

As a point of reference. it took Tom Hawkins until his 6th season to be returning more than 2 goals a season. Dan is in his 6th AFL season but spent the first 3(?) seasons at full back. So there is still time for him to develop his goals per game return.

This is a point Dodongo has tried to make in the past. Dodongo sees him being on a similar development path to Hawkins. We also need to remember Hawkins started his career inaccurate too. Not as bad as Daniel but if you need someone to compare his development to then it is Hawkins. Dodongo expects bigger things from Dan next year and/or 2021 beyond

In a way, you’re better off having “journeymen” type tall forwards who bob up every 3rd game. Makes it way easier to keep them under the cap. Small forwards are our most consistent strength and historically are more affordable.

Good on you, McStay and thanks for your loyalty!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just need to convert a greater percentage of his set shots from 35 to 25 metres out directly in front. I'm sure regularly missing these is not part of Fagan's otherwise tremendous game plan and role for Dan.

I hope it's not something as simple as he is thinking Don't miss Don't miss rather than Straight through the middle etc
I'm sure he does all the visualising success stuff players are encouraged to incorporate in their preparation routines when having set shots.

Hadn't seen that before. Funny stuff :thumbsu:
The other day I came across a whole bunch of people being weirded out by one of those and the mismatch between the captions and the words being spoken. Has it really been so long?

It is such a shame that he missed that goal, cos up until then he was brilliant, IMO. His ground work and feeding team mates was first class. When he flew it was in support of big O n Stef - not looking for the speccy. It was apparant he was following team instructions. Dunno how Dan rates among young CHF's, but he is right for our structure.

Just thinking, I don't think we've had a speccy in the last 6 weeks or so? Charlie has gone to using his speed, McStay to getting the ball down, and moving McCarthy up field more running. But its working for us! :)

After watching the highlight, seeing Rayner McCluggage and Hippy hitting their set shots sweetly, I kind of wish McStay had gone for that one just on the 50. His pass of was great and I think lead to a goal so can't complain. But he has got a nice kick on him when he's on song. Something to look forward to!
I noticed that we are going for deeper inside 50s/better position generally more often. Most noticeable to me has been Neale centering balls from the boundary running into the inside 50 rather than try to kick the banana on the run that he tried a couple of times this year, a kick i believe he has in his arsenal but they are being thoughtful in creating goals. Cam too this week to Charlie, even Rich not going for outside 50 set shots because we so have many threats.

It is such a shame that he missed that goal, cos up until then he was brilliant, IMO. His ground work and feeding team mates was first class. When he flew it was in support of big O n Stef - not looking for the speccy. It was apparant he was following team instructions. Dunno how Dan rates among young CHF's, but he is right for our structure.
and as far as misses go gee there are 20 worse by players in a similar role every weekend

Fly for the mark and hit the ground, or keep your feet and play the ground ball. Not as spectacular- but leads to more shots on goal and ability to trap the ball one the f50.
Better yet, less chance of hitting the ground from a couple of meters in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back