Fishing Cured Eel

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonas

Senior List
Jan 4, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone know how to make cured eel? Its a brilliant gummy shark bait, and i want to know how to make it. I have a damn with eels in it and i want to catch the eels and make the bait and catch some monster subs!

I find it strange that you have not heard of cured eel? It is one of the most successful baits going round - cured eel filets. Its catching large gummys.

Mate, when I go bottom bashing if the bait I drop down isn't hammered inside 30 seconds then something's wrong. I'm not interested in getting bored on the water, soaking baits for hours like you southern lot.

...and if I'm going shark fishing then I'm putting out a 2 to 5kg whole tuna, or mullet as bait, not a little bit of eel.

Mate, when I go bottom bashing if the bait I drop down isn't hammered inside 30 seconds then something's wrong. I'm not interested in getting bored on the water, soaking baits for hours like you southern lot.

...and if I'm going shark fishing then I'm putting out a 2 to 5kg whole tuna, or mullet as bait, not a little bit of eel.

Thats the spirit. Give the Sharks a mean not a little snack.

There are 2 basic forms of curing: wet and dry. A dry cure usually involvs useing salt or some other chemical to leech moisture out and then drying either in air or by applying heat. Its basicly the same principal of making jerky. a wet cure usually involvs a brine wich is a liquid containing a heavy concentration of salt or similar chemical and an acid like vinegar. The acid of the vinegar makes the liquid inhospitable to bacteria. Its basicly the same principal of pickeling (or corning). I have seen the two methods combined by taking a meat which has been brined and then air dried. From what I gather, you're basicly wanting to make "eel jerky" to use for bait. I would guess you could adapt pretty much any jery recipe and then air dry your eel (don't cook or heat it, it will change the texture and make it brittle) I use furnace filters and a box fan.

Weel good for you, nob. Patience is a virtue.

First i would like to say that that cattybossdog, is a compleat an arrogant person, that i wouldnt call a fisherman, stating that his bait gets hit in 30 seconds yeah mate real fisherman style, most fisheran go to relax and wait for that bite. eel is indead the number one gummy shark bait that trevally also come close to the same as eel. Just realy here to say that this s a top question that deserves a good answer so thanks to Kahuna for his reply helps you and my self to learn to cure. cheers nd tight lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back