Choosing a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi everyone, I am interested in getting into baseball, never really followed it before. I'd love to hear some advice on choosing a team. How did you choose the team you follow?

Welcome aboard!

So I started following the Mariners because I lived in Seattle for a few years. However, I now following the Giants, as I am a regular visitor to San Francisco and love the city. After 3 rings earlier in the decade, they are in a rebuild phase to be a contender again so no better time to join, as the ride will be interesting.

As for the advice:
* Obviously if you are a fan, you would like to be able to see a game live so factor that into your decision.
* Don't pick a big team like the Yankees or Dodgers. It is obvious and expectations are always high.
* Don't follow Houston - it isn't worth it
* Maybe pick a team who don't have a lot of success, like the As, the Marlins etc. Start at the bottom and you will enjoy the success more.
* The old fashion colours and team mascot can also help

Good luck in your search!

Hi everyone, I am interested in getting into baseball, never really followed it before. I'd love to hear some advice on choosing a team. How did you choose the team you follow?
I went with my favourite American city being New York and the Yankees were a natural fit. However you need to know your criteria. Do you want them to be a current top team or standings don't matter. Might be a favourite player you like. My overall advice is keep it simple. Stay away from picking a team just because they are top and due to trading perhaps don't just pick a team because of a star player. I like the romance of tradition and prestige myself. Others like the underdog reputation.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Welcome aboard!

So I started following the Mariners because I lived in Seattle for a few years. However, I now following the Giants, as I am a regular visitor to San Francisco and love the city. After 3 rings earlier in the decade, they are in a rebuild phase to be a contender again so no better time to join, as the ride will be interesting.

As for the advice:
* Obviously if you are a fan, you would like to be able to see a game live so factor that into your decision.
* Don't pick a big team like the Yankees or Dodgers. It is obvious and expectations are always high.
* Don't follow Houston - it isn't worth it
* Maybe pick a team who don't have a lot of success, like the As, the Marlins etc. Start at the bottom and you will enjoy the success more.
* The old fashion colours and team mascot can also help

Good luck in your search!
Nothing wrong with picking either dodgers or Yankees. As long as you do it for the right reasons. I'm a Yankees fan but I picked them first because of the city, then the tradition and prestige. Not once did I pick them on success. I'm sure alot of dodgers fans are the same. My advice is never pick a team on current standings or big name players. Everything comes and goes. Must need to find your own passions about the team you follow.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope people don't mind the bump. I've been watching the MLB a bit recently and learning the game and history of the teams. Watched a lot of the postseason last year which really helped to get me interested.

I've identified a handful of teams I like but having trouble choosing one.

If it wasn't obvious from my other team selections I'm not a huge fan of the big, successful teams, but want a team that nevertheless has a decent, interesting history and is an important part of their city's fabric.

I haven't been to the US so don't have any connection there, but having consumed quite a lot of American media lately and being a bit of a geography nerd, I like to think I have about as good an idea of the country as someone can have without having visited. Based on this the Sunbelt doesn't appeal to me much so those teams are a tough sell.

Anyway, here are the teams on my shortlist in no particular order. Welcome everyone's views!

Red Sox
Mets
Orioles
Brewers
Mariners

It’s not in your team list but in 2001 I was like yourself trying to pick a team not sure who should I go for and I started to watch the World Series missed game 1 but watched from game 2 DiamondBacks v Yankees.

Did a bit of reading about each team and saw the Yankees where a MBL great which everyone knew about and D-Backs where close to a new team only founded 4 years before as I’m not from the US.

So I went for Diamondbacks because they were a new team and the underdogs then they pulled off the World Series against the Yankees.

I have followed them every since and after all this time through the downs I get to see them hopefully win the WS yet again this year v’s Texas with a new set of stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back