Roast Carlton Supporters: Lack of Support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you see the open letter from Joffa.

I was most disappointed with the crowd numbers... just over 61k for a Carlton vs Collingwood match. Thats disappointing.

It's rather disgusting that I agree with some of what Joffa was saying. The cost of the tickets are outrageous and are forcing people to stay at home and watch it on Fox. Why should people go to the game when they can sit at home in their nice warm living rooms instead of getting out to the game and soaking up the atmosphere and really getting behind their team.

I own a GA home-game membership and we have a tight family budget. I have to admit that the price of upgrading my GA ticket to a decent quality reserved seat on Friday night really put me off. Ended up staying home and watching it on FTA (don't have Foxtel.) First home game I've missed in a couple of seasons.

Not sure if to be serious or take piss.

This is were it stems from, broken promises.

We were told that the list was a lot better than what it was, after a 6 or 7 year run of being the laughing stock of the league and having to bare the brunt of the schadenfreude of other supporters it looked like acquiring Judd/ Three top draft picks and being told we had built well the club was poised for success.

It didn't come, and we are starting to be told it's not coming. People are pissed off. Supporters and members put money, time and most importantly passion into this and are asked to do so by the club. People feel let down, and I can see why many feel the way they do.

I have dilemma.

I very rarely miss games. I miss even less by choice. This week however we play Monday night.

Monday night sucks. Should I vote with my feet and not turn up in support of this abysmal timeslot or suck it up and go?

Obviously I'm leaning towards going but want an opinion

Fat Vlad's AFL commission was all about the tv broadcasting money. So that the TV stations could get their best bang for buck from the advertising rights during the games, the AFL commission started putting in Sunday evening games and Monday night games.

They know full well that people have to work the next day and they would prefer not to have to worry about getting home after the game.

Personally, I would go along as a big **** you to the bullshit TV station driving fixture scheduling... but thats just me. In the end you gotta do what you gotta do...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My blood pressure has taken a serious hit recently with all the negativity that is coming from Carlton supporters. Let's go back to round 4 for a bit of perspective. We are winless and nearly every finger is pointed and every head is on the chopping block. Carlton supporters are screaming for Mick's head, our captains head, Gibbs head and nearly every other person associated with the club. Social media is clogged with Carlton supporters who are captain Hindsight and talking about everything that is wrong with us. After one win there is dramatic change. The boards are now filled with toasts and positives about players and our captain is once again beloved. After another win over West Coast, Carlton supporters can barley hold back their jubilation. There is now apparently nothing wrong with the club, the captain the management or the coach according to Carlton supporters. Then we lose again and its back to pointing fingers at the likes of Lucas, Warnock, Gibbs ect (the favorite whipping boys). We are suddenly doing nothing right anymore.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with the club or the players except the lack of faith, loyalty, encouragement and support that Carlton fans are meant to provide. Some of the comments I heard coming from "carlton supporters" at the game on the weekend was disgusting to say the least.

The Favorite Whipping Boys and Claims

"Gibbs too soft and doesn't care about Carlton"- I don't understand people who love to abuse Gibbs about being soft. If you actually go to games you'd notice that he does go in hard, lays tackles and is certainly not soft.

"Murphy isn't a good leader and has no passion"- All I ever see from Murph come game day is him running himself into the ground. This guy couldn't be doing more to try and lift his team.

"Warnock is lazy and doesn't do enough"- Granted this was true for the first couple of rounds but he has really improved lately, his tap work is one of the best in the competition.

"Rowe is a terrible, why is he even in the team?" This one really baffles me. In the game against collingwood our backline stood a barrage of attack, and Rowe did extremely well, at least in my eyes.

"We paid to much for Thomas, he is useless"- Give this guy a break, he had a terrible injury and is probably still recovering mentally. Sure we probably paid to much for him but it is useless to live in the past.

"Mick Malthouse has no idea what he is doing and his gameplan is terrible"- Malthouse probably has picked up a thing or two more than the average supporter with his decades of coaching experience. Coaching success doesn't happen overnight.

"Bring back Ratts, Bring back Fev"- This is full ******, no point in even addressing those comments. Why don't we bring back the 1995 team while we are at it?

My overall point is that as Carlton supporters it's good to critique and discuss the club, the list ect but encouragement, hope and support goes much further than ripping on our own boys.

http://membership.carltonfc.com.au/

Give me a loss where 22 players crack in and bleed Blue like Dylan Buckley, any day of the week. Yes, even twice on Sundays!

But by goodness, don't you EVER give me the listless shit that has been served up this season - against our 2 biggest rivals of all time no less!

There was the time I went to the Zoo and we had a day at the Zoo this particular time. That's a good story if you have the time to listen but nobody does anymore sadly....

Just out of interest is it the one where you romped naked with the Hippopotamus?? :eek:

I have dilemma.

I very rarely miss games. I miss even less by choice. This week however we play Monday night.

Monday night sucks. Should I vote with my feet and not turn up in support of this abysmal timeslot or suck it up and go?

Regardless of its effect your protest is your protest. If you could somehow organize a voting block and only 5,000 turned up it might actually see the death of these arrogantly produced, selfish fixturings. A freezing cold night will help regardless of any roof.

I have dilemma.

You suck it up and go because you're deluded if you think one person not showing up will change the AFL's mind on the time slot. ;)

You suck it up and go because you're deluded if you think one person not showing up will change the AFL's mind on the time slot. ;)
If no one showed up... Fat Vlad would be rubbing his hands together as he pockets another kickback cheque from Fox or one of the FTA stations.

If everyone showed up and they turned off their TV's and listened to the game on the radio... then thats a protest.

Look, much as I'm loathe to offer anything to the hated foe, we've had our own issues with people just bitching and moaning a little beyond what is reasonable.

Just got to stick fat basically, criticise where you feel the need but try not to throw a tantrum.

Look, much as I'm loathe to offer anything to the hated foe, we've had our own issues with people just bitching and moaning a little beyond what is reasonable.

Just got to stick fat basically, criticise where you feel the need but try not to throw a tantrum.
I'd suggest any criticism your supporters direct towards your club in recent times is warranted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back