Car bomb 1975-well done "doubleblues"

Remove this Banner Ad

Unley Legend

Senior List
Apr 5, 2002
Adelaide
Further to the "tell some SANFL stories" thread, the car bombing in West Lakes Mall car park was in 1975, 26th of July in fact, and yes the car was a mini. I looked it up at the State Library.
I thought it was 1978 (hey it was a long time ago, I was 11 at the time, what I'm saying is, "I didn't do it!"), the SANFL admin said 1976, West Lakes Mall management said 1977, but doubleblues was right all along, well done.

Well searched Unley Legend
as stated in my previous post, I can remember it happening and being at the game (I was only 11), I guess it is one of those things that stick in your mind.
For the record Sturt 13.27 - 105 defeated West 15.10 - 100

Now we can all get some sleep. Good work Unley Legend! I was sure it was 1975 but after all the other posts I was starting to have my doubts.
Be careful spending too much time in the State Library looking up old newspapers. You'll get hooked and spend MANY hours there!

Yeah, with all the different answers I was getting, I decided to look up all 4 years (75-78), of course 75 was the last year I looked up wasn't it.
Looking at the old Sunday Mails was a trip back in time. I only needed to look at the Mail because I remember it happened on a Saturday and remembered that it was front page news the next day.

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870
How gruesome do we want to go ? Does anyone remember what the motive behind it all was ? and what they found around the mall ?

PA1870

I believe the victim was the cleaner from KMart, killed by his wife and her bit-in-the-side. Could be wrong but that's what I remember from the news reports after the event. As I said it was a long time ago.

Looking back at those old papers, don't you just notice the alarming drop in journalisitc standards these days?

When The 'Tiser had Merv Agars, Bob Kingston et al covering the footy, it was actually worth reading.

Originally posted by Portmagpies
When The 'Tiser had Merv Agars, Bob Kingston et al covering the footy, it was actually worth reading.
That's Geoff Kingston. Bob Kingston played for Norwood and Port Adelaide after coming across from South Melbourne. Incidentally, he stood out of football to gain the clearance - an example of how good VFL players occasionally crossed the border the other way in those days.

Originally posted by McAlmanac
Incidentally, he stood out of football to gain the clearance - an example of how good VFL players occasionally crossed the border the other way in those days.

The name of Len Fitzgerald springs to mind.

And Gary Hardeman.

Try telling the Victorian supporters about players crossing both ways. Hardeman was no washed up hack either, he was still a required player for Melbourne when he made the move to Sturt.

Originally posted by Docker_Brat
And Gary Hardeman.

Try telling the Victorian supporters about players crossing both ways. Hardeman was no washed up hack either, he was still a required player for Melbourne when he made the move to Sturt.
Hardeman went back and played for Melbourne again after playing for Sturt.

Other good examples of certainly-not-over-the-hill players are Bob Shearman, John Cassin and Bob Keddie (could never work out why you'd leave strong Hawthorn for the Westies and Souths of the mid 70's). Bad examples are Ken Mansfield, Rod Galt and Geoff Blethyn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back