List Mgmt. Calling All Armchair List Managers: Give Us Your Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to salary dump one of hopper or taranto collingwood style. We cant afford to have two tractors long term for another 6 years. Trade/pay them to another club while they still have value.

I think we need to salary dump one of hopper or taranto collingwood style. We cant afford to have two tractors long term for another 6 years. Trade/pay them to another club while they still have value.
WTF for? Our cap is fine :think:

Prestia, Lynch, Dusty, Grimes, Broad, Pickett and McIntosh will all be gone in 2 years. At that stage we'll probably be struggling to pay 95% of the cap as required.

Watch what happens to our midfield this week without either Hopper or Taranto in there. They are the backbone of our midfield for the next few years, particularly as we have young mids coming into the side. You want to get whacked by 80 points each week for the next couple of years ?

Taranto copped a very unlucky injury and if Hopper can get a clean run at it, he's a deadset gun as he showed last week, chopping up Melbourne's mids for a half before he went down.

WTF for? Our cap is fine :think:

Prestia, Lynch, Dusty, Grimes, Broad, Pickett and McIntosh will all be gone in 2 years. At that stage we'll probably be struggling to pay 95% of the cap as required.

Because they are not players that will drive us forward and we are stuck with them for 5 more years.

I'd get rid of Hopper in this way in a heartbeat to clear him from our cap. Spend the money on someone worth it.

To think we could have gotten Cerra for the same price the year before & everyone thought that was "overs". Younger & better. Another bad decision. They all stack up eventually

Watch what happens to our midfield this week without either Hopper or Taranto in there. They are the backbone of our midfield for the next few years, particularly as we have young mids coming into the side. You want to get whacked by 80 points each week for the next couple of years ?

Taranto copped a very unlucky injury and if Hopper can get a clean run at it, he's a deadset gun as he showed last week, chopping up Melbourne's mids for a half before he went down.
I didn't love them coming in together but Prestia retiring this year sees TT & JH consolidate their spots. Dow, Bolton, Kmac2, Sonze, MRJ? as depth.

Delist/Retire/Trade/Free Agency: Martin Grimes Pickett Naismith Prestia McIntosh Baker Graham Colina

Of that list Martin Grimes Pckett Prestia & McIntosh are given the chance to retire and say farewell to the Tiger faithful as our premiership heroes should be allowed to do. Naismith gets to finish the year in the VFL and then thanked for his service and wished well for his future endeavors. Baker is traded to a WA team of his choosing, hopefully Fremantle and we get another decent R1 picks plus steak knives in return. Graham is encouraged to explore free agency, hopefully nets us a 2nd round pick in return ideally after our own R2 picks, but more likely an end of R2. Colina hasn't been able to get on the park for best part of 2 years and is a Cat B rookie, may as well let him go and use the spot for another rookie who has played footy for almost of their life, not a basketball convert.

Re-Signings:
With the above group sorted, I'd turn attention to the remaining out of contract players and I'd like to see us getting them signed sooner rather than later to give them some certainty about their futures so they can relax a little and enjoy the remainder of the season knowing that they'll be there again in 2025. With that said here is what I'd do:

Miller 2-3 year deal
Ralphsmith 2 year deal
Ross 3 year deal
Trezise 2 year deal
Smith 2 year deal
Coulthard another year on rookie list
M.Rioli 3 year deal
Lefau 2 year deal
Cumberland 1 year deal with a trigger for a 2nd year if he played more than half next season in the AFL side
Mansell see Cumberland
Ryan 3 year deal
Campbell 2 year deal
Green 2 year deal
Dow see Cumberland & Mansell
Nankervis 2 year deal

As you can probably tell, I haven't delisted anyone as they are all younger players and should be given at least the 2025 season to get the chance to play under Yze with the game plan being more settled and hopefully the injury crisis well and truly over.

Team Selection For Rest Of 2024
The focus is on the kids and their development for the remainder of the season. We're already 1/3 of the way through the season and they have been given exposure they may not have got because of the injury crisis and now that we're in the ladder position that we are, we've got nothing to lose by giving them more experience and fast tracking their development. While we've played 36 players so far there are still some younger players who haven't yet had the opportunity at senior level. Cumberland Coulthard Green & Smith have built some good form over the last couple of weeks in the VFL, I'd love to see them getting an opportunity between now and the 2nd bye in place of some of the other younger kids who may be feeling the pinch a bit of the older blokes whose form hasn't quite lived up to standards. Bauer & Trezise have had injury issues themselves and should build some form over the next 6 or so weeks in the VFL before the 2nd bye and if form warrants be afforded an opportunity in the last 1/3 of the season. That would mean everyone on the list who isn't injured would have played by the end of the 2024 season and Yze would have a much better idea of what he has to work with heading into 2025.

Draft/Trade/Free Agency
Only interest I have in the trade/free agency period is improving our current picks of 2, 22, 33, 40, 42, 51, 58, 66 & 68 into at minimum 5 picks inside the first 2 rounds.

At the draft itself at this stage I'd love to add 2 high quality midfielders, preferably 2 that can, not only win their own footy, but have a touch of class about the way they use the ball. Add to that 2 young KPPs ideally a key forward and back. Outside that pick the best available kid regardless of position as we need depth all over the park.

Richmond 2025​

FB: Brown, Gibcus, Broad
HB: Short, Vlastuin, Rioli
CEN: Ralphsmith, Hopper, Ross
FOL: Nankervis, Taranto, Bolton
HF: Rioli Jnr, Balta, Campbell
FF: Mansell, Lynch, Lefau

BEN: Young, Tresize, Baker, Josh Smilie, Cumberland, Clarke

Outgoings;

Dion Prestia- Retire
Dylan Grimes- Retire
Dustin Martin- Retire
Jack Graham- FA departure
Ben Miller- FA departure
Kamdyn McIntosh- FA departure
Marlion Pickett- Delisted

Controversial, but we could be competing for a flag next year, IF:
  • We have a good injury run (i.e. Gibcus)
  • We can get another good year out of (in order of importance): Vlastuin, Broad, Nank, Lynch, Martin, Prestia, Grimes
  • We don't lose best 22 players to FA

Bonus: Bring in a best 22 FA and a top five draft pick.

They're a lot of caveats, but it's easy to forget just how much of our team is out right now, and easy to underestimate how improved our full team could be with the additional talent we've been investing in (namely Brown, Miller, Lefau, Young, Maurice Rioli, Campbell, Ralphsmith)

Sure I might be getting a little ahead of myself, but I see more reason for optimism than most. I wouldn't be very surprised if we made a late run for finals this year once we get players back on the park.

Y'all are too reactive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back