Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
So how about those musos in here eh?

For those who've done the tiring rounds of the scungy pubs in exchange for enough money to maybe pay for the petrol on the way to the gig.... How about sharing what you've done, or maybe what you're up to!!! Could be a novel way of getting new people to show up at your gigs. (sadly at some of the gigs I've done, an extra turnout of 5 people would almost double the audience).

So anyway, I'll kick off. I was in a band called Insipid that played a few gigs (29 to be exact) around Sydney from 1998-2000. We did a sort of pop/rock thing with female vocals. Think a bit of Clouds, a bit of Veruca Salt, a bit of Cranberries... We were a 3-piece - drums, our singer played bass and I played guitar and did my patented Dodgy Backing Vocals. Our biggest and best gig was playing support for Skunkhour - unfortunately that made me miss Sydney v St Kilda @ the SCG :-(

I think the website is still going!! at http://www.angelfire.com/co/dependence

It was great fun, and I miss playing live. I'm trying to get another musical project going again, so we'll see what happens ;-)

No band as yet but i want to be in one soon....the hardest thing though is that my best mate, my brother and i all play guitar but none of us wants to play bass. And we all cant decide on a name, then we have to bring in a ringer for a drummer, who we have to get a long with and has to like our style of music....man its harder than most ppl think to get a band going and then to be successful enough to make money out of it.

Soon though...hopefully.

Ok, I'll join in.

I was the singer in a band called Where's the Pope? and we played surf/skate... thrash/hardcore punk.
We were together for about 12 years and released four albums/CD's of which the first three are completely sold out. We toured Melbourne and Sydney many times playing with bands like: Toe to Toe, The Living End, 28 Days, Mindsnare, The Meanies, Bodyjar, Snout, Hard Ons, You am I, Spiderbait, Frenzel Rhomb, Celibate Rifles, TISM and many others. We have played two Big Day Out's and had a main stage appearance at the 1997 BDO. We have also played with bands like NOFX, Strife, Satanic Surfers, The Stupids and others from overseas.
We were lucky enough to become very popular in SA and actually headlined a lot of shows with the bands mentioned. They used to ask to play with us specifically, because we could help them get to many people in Adelaide early in their careers. This was good for us as it was usually reciprocated on our tours interstate.
All of our releases have had world-wide distribution and the first two made it as high as #10 on the Aussie alternative charts.
We were also heavily featured in an SBS documentary on the tribal aspects of the 'mosh pit' which was called Moana-A Moshumentary, so keep your eye out for it because they are still putting it on at various times.
That's about it, so as you can see a big chunk of my life has been spent creating music and living the life........I'd recommend it to anyone;)

Hey Santos,I remember Where's the Pope? from the mid to late 80s hardcore scene. Did you guys ever play with the Iron Shieks or the Exploding White Mice?

I have played bass and sang in the following bands:

My first band was called Red Shift-somewhere between early Saints and Motorhead. Supported Dead Moon, X, the Powder Monkeys, Exploding White Mice. Toured Adelaide and Sydney twice, released one 7" single (King of the Beat) and had a track on a Radio Birdman tribute album.

Now I play bass in the Casanovas-AC/DC meets Kiss meets Turbonegro or something like that. Have supported the Backyard Babies, Powder Monkeys, Tim Rogers, the White Stripes, X and played at the Big Day Out. We've released a 7" single (10 Outta 10) and had a film clip for said song played on rage.

Also play bass in the Naked Eye-Eastern Dark, Sunnyboys, the Who and the Ramones would be our big influences. Have supported the New Christs, Area 7(!), DM3, Powder Monkeys, Dung (featuring Ross from the Cosmic Psychos). Released a 7" single (Instinct) and soon to release an album (tentatively titled From Obscurity to Nowhere). Played in Bendigo and at Wild Bill's in Cheltenham.

I doffs me lid to those with any sort of talent. Sadly, I must have been absent the day ability at anything was handed out.

In my next life I think I'll be a classical pianist.

I might as well join in too.

I was in a band called The Brown Hornet. Crazy funk/jazz/thrash/weirdass music. Good fun. Great music. Awesome players. Cool dudes.

cheers!

I played in a 'heavy' (kinda death-metally) band called Sulkus for a few years. Fun while it lasted, but things just died in the ass in the end.
Released a couple of demos, and got halfway through 2 albums (don't ask!), received quite a bit of good publicity in that scene locally and abroad.
Played with pretty much every Aussie heavy band, and played all over NSW. Never made it out of NSW unfortunately, despite a couple of attempts to make it to Victoria. :(

Originally posted by gPhonque
I might as well join in too.

I was in a band called The Brown Hornet. Crazy funk/jazz/thrash/weirdass music. Good fun. Great music. Awesome players. Cool dudes.

cheers!

Was the 'Brown Hornet' the band with the singer on TV (can't remeber his name - sorry!). If so, I'd heard they were pretty good!

Originally posted by SydneyBomber
Was the 'Brown Hornet' the band with the singer on TV (can't remeber his name - sorry!). If so, I'd heard they were pretty good!

dylan lewis

You "heard"? You never "saw"???? Slack! Yeah, it was a cool band. Very different. No rules. Just as long as it was brown, it was cool. Good way to look at music and life really. (be brown!)

Originally posted by gPhonque

dylan lewis

You "heard"? You never "saw"???? Slack! Yeah, it was a cool band. Very different. No rules. Just as long as it was brown, it was cool. Good way to look at music and life really. (be brown!)

Cool!

If I remember correctly, I'd heard it was something along the lines of Mr Bungle (in terms of blurring musical styles etc - not necessarily image), which is always a good thing! ;)
Well done.

Originally posted by SydneyBomber

Cool!

If I remember correctly, I'd heard it was something along the lines of Mr Bungle (in terms of blurring musical styles etc - not necessarily image), which is always a good thing! ;)
Well done.

Yeah, there was a bit of everything thrown in. It was mostly funk-based. Everyone played jazz so a lot of that came through too. A few ridiculously heavy guitar sounds. Lots of instruments. That kinda thing. Just brown music. :cool: :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Rusty Brookes
Hey Santos,I remember Where's the Pope? from the mid to late 80s hardcore scene. Did you guys ever play with the Iron Shieks or the Exploding White Mice?

Yes Rusty, we played with both of them. The Mice's drummer, Dave Bunny, was our sound guy for the last five years.
It's good to see some more big footy people who have been involved in creating live original music.:D

Damn, makes my achievements look feeble. We only recorded a single studio EP (5 songs).. but recorded a lot of stuff in my house. Never toured past Sydney.... Them's fighting words.. Gotta rise to the challenge now ;-)

keep it up guys, playing live is the best part of music (ie: much better than the hours of rehearsals or arguing over stuff or just getting along ;-) )

Mooster's Blue Troopers

I rarely have a band of my own together. When I'm not working, I'm a single parent. The few times over the past few years when I have had a band, it's always been "MBT."

Where I live there are lots of Country bands. They typically play four or five 45 minute sets. Somewhere in there they play a set of Blues or Rock just to mix things up (KC is a big Blues town). Anyway, that's when I get the call, because these Country players can't seem to get it together.

So I mostly act as a "gunslinger for hire." I get the call to play a lot of Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin and so forth. And, just to have fun, I'll throw in something Heavy Metal. The Cowboys (and most importantly Cowgirls) like it.

Funny thing, the Country "pickers" all think they can play 'Johnny B. Goode' I like to shred it and throw in Hendrix & Eddie Van Halen riffs and so forth. It becomes a 20 minute song before I'm done with it. :D So they typically let me do that one as well.

I doubt any of you will be coming to any of my gigs soon, but if you do make it up to Kansas City, stop in. I'll buy you a beer. Peace,

Mooster

Wow!!

I'm astounded by some of the responses.

We had 4 school bands at our school. Played in one of them. I know someone who played in all 4 of them, aesome drummer.

I want to keep going with music, as a hobby, as I love it. Nothing better than coming home, or playing together with a few mates. Gets rid of all your worries. :)

Santos - Can I ask why you stopped? Was it because you wanted to do something else? You ever thinking of going back to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back