Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the actual vic park stadium build is around $2b I think. The rest of the $$$ is effectively transforming that space. There will be a huge legacy benefit.
The review basically compared a like for like with a full knockdown and rebuild of the Gabba with a new 55k stadium. They talk very little about cost of transforming the park.

Architect firm Archipelago's submission was for a full park transformation, a 70k stadium, 2 other venues, large indoor arena proposed for Roma Street and the other was the swimming centre, which the Sports Review Panel said both should stay at their current proposed site, although Roma Street they said to build it on the car park, not over the train tracks as has been proposed.

The 55k stadium proposal the Sports Review Panel discussed, was just for the 55k main stadium and not any other things on Victoria Park.

1710904903140.png

The review basically compared a like for like with a full knockdown and rebuild of the Gabba with a new 55k stadium. They talk very little about cost of transforming the park.

Architect firm Archipelago's submission was for a full park transformation, a 70k stadium, 2 other venues, large indoor arena proposed for Roma Street and the other was the swimming centre, which the Sports Review Panel said both should stay at their current proposed site, although Roma Street they said to build it on the car park, not over the train tracks as has been proposed.

The 55k stadium proposal the Sports Review Panel discussed, was just for the 55k main stadium and not any other things on Victoria Park.

View attachment 1933687

I think there’s a line in there somewhere about an assumption re the spend required to transform the space to facilitate a stadium being put there. Which in effect gives you the stadium + other benefits.

Whereas Gabba is just knock down and build back on same land.

I think there’s a line in there somewhere about an assumption re the spend required to transform the space to facilitate a stadium being put there. Which in effect gives you the stadium + other benefits.

Whereas Gabba is just knock down and build back on same land.
Gabba will have amazing transport links with the cross city rail station and only a 15-25 min walk from the city.

Victoria park has no good transport links. It would have to be built at significant expense. Need to account for the additional transport costs. It will be terrible for anyone on the south side whereas the gabba will be easy to get to for north siders. gabba also much much easier to get to for gold coasters.

Although i could suppose they may just not bother with transport which would be the QE2 approach they seem to be planning. I.e the not give a stuff about the games approach. I live 20 mins drive from the QE2 stadium (more playground then stadium) and its impossible to get there without a car.

The 40,000 comes from the independent Sports Venue Review report pages 24 to 29. They also briefly consider a 30,000 stadium.

The stadium wont be torn down the day after the Olympics, downsized, recommended to 14,000 by the review, but not all torn down. And it wont be overnight.

The report basically said $600m is for the legacy component and $1bil for the operational component including operational requirement works (concrete) podium, transport, temporary seating etc.

The QSAC upgrade for the 1982 Comm Games when it was called the QE II stadium had a capacity of 52,000 with 6,000 in the western stand and 46,000 seats in temporary aluminium stands/bays. Those temporary seats were supposed to go after a few years.

41.5 years later 36,000 of those temporary seats are still in place, reinforced and fortified a few times over those 41.5 years. Sure it looks cheap, probably doesn't pass a lot of building code requirements especially disable access, but they have served their purpose over the year with the Broncos playing there for 11 season, 2 state of origin games in 2001-02 whilst Suncorp was being redeveloped, the 2001 Goodwill Games and concerts over the years, etc etc.

In 2006 Athletics Australia made a simultaneous bid for either the 2011 or 2013 IAAF/now World Athletics Championships to be staged at QSAC and it would have received a significant upgrade with funding from state and federal government. I think it was either $100m or close to it. Daegu in South Korea got the 2011 championships awarded in December 2006 and in March 2007 Moscow was awarded the 2013 championships.

I would expect Oz to make a bid for either 2035 or 2037 World Athletics Championships using QSAC Olympic facilities so that would mean it wont be downsized much after 2032, if the bid is successful, and then a decision would be made post World Athletics Championship hosting.

London hosted 2012 Olympics and the reconfigured stadium was used for 2017 World Championships. Bejing hosted the 2008 Olympics and the Bird Nest stadium was used in the 2015 World Championships. Tokyo hosted 2020 Olympics in 2021, thanks covid, and the National Stadium will be used for the 2025 World Championships. The Bird Nest in Beijing will once again host the Championships in 2027.

5 months before the Brisbane team lodged its Bid Book in mid 2021 with the IOC, the 80k stadium at Albion on the trotting track greenfield site, 3 train stations NE of Central station, with 5 train lines passing thru the station was the preferred option.

Then Coates managed to talk the IOC down to a 60k stadium would be acceptable a couple of months later, and based on this and the new Cross River Rail project had started in 2020 with a new Woolloongabba train station and trams feeding into it also planned, the Qld government convinced Coates to get the IOC to accept a 50k stadium as part of its drive to make the Games a more affordable option and use more existing infrastructure by bidding cities. So the Gabba went into the Bid Book in late May/early June 2021.

I never saw a detailed discussion of costs for the 80k and 60k Albion option but what little figures were discussed was that it would be $1bil to $1.3bil range and its probably why the Gabba knockdown and rebuild was costed at $1bil, as a new oval shaped 60k stadium meant the death of the Gabba and not maximising the new heavy and light rail infrastructure that had already started to help serve the Gabba and surrounding suburbs.

I'm stuffed if I know what has happened to construction costs in the last few years. Covid, supply chain problems, inflation, construction companies falling over, interest rate rises, real wages increasing, projected costs in future dollars, all mean things are more expensive than 2020 costings but its hard to believe that the Sydney Football Stadium, had a $100m cost blown out between 2020 and 2022 construction period, but the average cost per seat was $20,000 and now we are looking at $40,000 per seat for the QSAC and almost $60,000 per seat for the Victoria Park option.

Something has gone terrible wrong somewhere.
They spoke to Dan and Jacinta for advice

Last week Roy and HG on The Weekly pushed the benefit of Lang Park for the opening ceremony and might have given away a
couple of ideas for the opening ceremony.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back