News Blues secure VFLW Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/sites/Carlton/news/2017-10-11/blues-secure-vflw-licence

CARLTON will strengthen its commitment to elite female football in Australia, after being granted a VFL Women's licence for the 2018 league.

In a revamped VFLW competition, Carlton was awarded one of the new VFLW licences by AFL Victoria.
The new Carlton VFLW side will align with the AFL and AFLW programs, with the VFLW season to commence in May following the conclusion of the 2018 AFLW season.

Good for us, but I think the existing competition will be dead in a year or three now. The powerhouses of womens footy will be forced out of the VFLW and will either fold or go to a smaller league in the near future, unable to compete with the new AFL aligned clubs.

The Bulldogs are aligned with VU Spurs, Demons are aligned with Casey, St Kilda are aligned with Seaford and North will be aligned with Melbourne Uni. Why didn't we align with the Darebin Falcons? Our men's VFL team is based in Preston which is less than 2km to the Falcons home ground at Merri Creek. A Carlton Falcons (or whatever, Northern Blues still works) club could have played games at Preston Oval as well, playing double headers even.

Given most of the AFLW talent play for existing clubs, will they transfer across to their AFLW aligned clubs in the future?

Good for us, but I think the existing competition will be dead in a year or three now. The powerhouses of womens footy will be forced out of the VFLW and will either fold or go to a smaller league in the near future, unable to compete with the new AFL aligned clubs.

The Bulldogs are aligned with VU Spurs, Demons are aligned with Casey, St Kilda are aligned with Seaford and North will be aligned with Melbourne Uni. Why didn't we align with the Darebin Falcons? Our men's VFL team is based in Preston which is less than 2km to the Falcons home ground at Merri Creek. A Carlton Falcons (or whatever, Northern Blues still works) club could have played games at Preston Oval as well, playing double headers even.

Given most of the AFLW talent play for existing clubs, will they transfer across to their AFLW aligned clubs in the future?

Re Darebin. I was hoping for that too. But I think the club wanted to maintain their own identity - they are a women only sports club, not just AFLW. I’d be torn if I was a player - keep with the club that has given me the place to play for years or go with the newbies that might be my opportunity for decent income (if they get around to decent pay for AFLW).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back