List Mgmt. Are we targeting the wrong players?

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think Eddie Betts is one we should consider worrying about,
Some one that can add a bit more class and someone to shut down the small forwards, which other people have been eluding to.
I also wouldnt mind seeing a young small forward who can play in the midfield that will fill the void when Brent Harvey retires. From the draft Lewis Taylor seems to be a good pick, on a trade level maybe someone like one of Collingwoods smalls, Elliot, Dwyer, Fasolo

We badly need a Morris/Smith/Spurr/Guerra/Enright/Toovey type. Clearly you don't need to spend a high draft pick to get one so I don't really agree with the OP.

Hopefully Taylor Hine works out for us. I wouldn't mind us grabbing a plan B with a late pick though.
Heath Shaw.

I don't think we are "targetting" the wrong players as such.

We can only go after who is available. It is not like we can cherry pick from other teams.

So the fact we are sounding out all potential options to add to our list is the only way to go about it. End of the day, more quality on the list the better regardless if not exactly what we "need" and so on.

Sounds like Hine and Jacobs to me!!!

Guess the club is a year ahead of you :p

Jacobs runs out of gas by half time. He really needs to work on his tank and his ability to cover the ground. Think the original post has merit, would love a Crowley type in our team.

Maybe when over injuries he might be able to - not sure.

Jacobs runs out of gas by half time. He really needs to work on his tank and his ability to cover the ground. Think the original post has merit, would love a Crowley type in our team.

Maybe when over injuries he might be able to - not sure.

Didn't he put on about 7kg in the pre-season as well? Hopefully another pre-season will see him running out games better.

Chapman was best on ground in his last game which happened to be a final.
Why anyone would not want him around our club beggars belief, the guy is a champion bordering on legend status.

One of the best big game small forwards to ever play the game IMO.

Nicky Dal would be ideal too.

Our biggest issue is defensive positioning, both these guys will provide voice and structure in the 2nd half of games where we really need them.

Betts, as good as he is, is simply not worth 500k+.

Chapman was best on ground in his last game which happened to be a final.
Why anyone would not want him around our club beggars belief, the guy is a champion bordering on legend status.

One of the best big game small forwards to ever play the game IMO.

Nicky Dal would be ideal too.

Our biggest issue is defensive positioning, both these guys will provide voice and structure in the 2nd half of games where we really need them.

Betts, as good as he is, is simply not worth 500k+.
There are a few reasons why people would not want NDS or Chapman - The main one being because both of them are 30+, and won't have many years left in them. By the time we are in premiership contention, these blokes won't be playing IMO.

Secondly, they are going to want some big money, which we would be better suited on trying to grab someone like a Frawley next year when he becomes a free agent.

Thirdly, it would hinder the development of blokes like Harper if we are playing these guys for the next year or so, and these young players development will be crucial to our long term success.

I'm all for grabbing Chapman, not just for the on-field, but in hope that we can mould him into an assistant coach at our club - he has been part of an amazing winning culture at Geelong, which would be invaluable to NM and the list.

Dal Santo whilst he is still decent, I would rather not target him and save some $$$ for a younger player that we can utilise in his prime. EG. Frawley next year.

FWIW I don't think Chapman is after big coin. How much can a bloke who has been cut from his team demand?

We should simply introduce him to Steve Saunders and say if you want to get on the park as much as possible next year then this is the man that will make it happen.

Chapman and Dal Santo are 32 and 30 next year i think and will play 1-3 seasons with us. We have flankers on the list and coming through the draft that will be lined up to play in the middle.

Currently Atley, McKenzie, Harper, Garner, Mullet and McDonald are not ready yet to play in this role. Play these players as flankers in 2014-2015, until they build up their tank/bodies. Play Dal Santo on a wing and Chapman across half forward/guts rotation until the younger players are ready to step up.

Geelong had success this year mainly due to their commitment to go to the draft and select pure footballers that at first can be played in FP/HB but can be moved into the guts/wing as their aging stars dwindle.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. We just haven't had those mature players to lessen the exposure of our draftees from the heat of the middle.

With our list, adding both NDS and Chapman seems like a no brainer.

We raised 800k in one night to spend on the FD.

Dal Santo @ 500k x3
Chapman @ 300k x2

Both offer some of the best IP in the industry, and ideally both will stay on as development & line coaches.

Luke @ 7
Dayle @ 26

And hopefully we do some fitness work at altitude this off season...rather than our focus on skills like last year :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott said we were looking to be aggressive and if half the rumours are true, then he is true to his word and I likey.

Experience and class can only be a positive influence on our young group, imo.

Steve waves the magic wand and I can't see any reason Chappy or NDS wouldn't suit up next year.

These two along with Boomer would be the only guys to have played in multiple winning finals.

That could be an important consideration if we are truly looking to make a genuine dint in September next year.

Spots should become even more fiercely contested and that should drive the group harder to perform.

Hopefully that increases the likelihood of all that becoming a reality.

Spots become even more fiercely contested and that should drive the group harder to perform.
The presence of NDS and Chappy for example might be the kick in the arse that the rest of the group need. Two less spots cos they have been taken by two blokes that know what it takes to get the job done. Gotta extract the digit.

The presence of NDS and Chappy for example might be the kick in the arse that the rest of the group need. Two less spots cos they have been taken by two blokes that know what it takes to get the job done. Gotta extract the digit.
Exaccery.

It's going to be harsh on a few favourites no doubt, but it may sort the wheat from the chaff as far as the selection panel are concerned.

Chappy would be a fantastic mentor for a guy like Harps too just quietly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back