GWS
Andrew Phillips

Andrew+Phillips+Q7sFjAwEY8sm.jpg

Height: 202cm
Weight: 98kg
D/O/B: 3/7/1991
Position: Ruck

Last edited:
One of the biggest losses we had for the year. Really needed more help in the ruck and he just couldn't get on the park. I really like sauce so I hope he comes back better next year.

I really liked the look of Phillips in 2012, and it seemed that he was rated by the coaches, with Sheedy talking him up at numerous times as one of the reasons that they did not need to target a high profile ruckman. now 18 months has passed and Phillips finds himself 12 months on the sidelines and in the company of Mumford and promising ex Basket-baller Lobb.

Do you still have the same hopes for Phillips as in 2012, or has injuries last year really dented his chances at GWS?

Regarding his injuries, I was wondering where is he at in regards to his recovery and pre-season training? Is he a legitimate chance to add to his game total at GWS in 2014? and beyond?

I really liked the look of Phillips in 2012, and it seemed that he was rated by the coaches, with Sheedy talking him up at numerous times as one of the reasons that they did not need to target a high profile ruckman. now 18 months has passed and Phillips finds himself 12 months on the sidelines and in the company of Mumford and promising ex Basket-baller Lobb.

Do you still have the same hopes for Phillips as in 2012, or has injuries last year really dented his chances at GWS?

Regarding his injuries, I was wondering where is he at in regards to his recovery and pre-season training? Is he a legitimate chance to add to his game total at GWS in 2014? and beyond?

I'd say he's ahead of Lobb and Downie, both basketball project players, to be first cab off the rank should either Giles or Mumford need a break. It was a weird season for him last year. If he'd done a knee or something then we could have ruled a line under him and put him on the shelf like Patton, but I don't think at any time he was listed as more than about 4-5 weeks. He'd get back to training or to a NEAFL game and then go down again. Must have been frustrating as hell. Can he channel that this year? I hope so.

I certainly see him adding to his games total, but he's definitely third string behind the big two and unless the other two make freakishly good progress, he's ahead to them even with the season out.

Haven't heard anything to the contrary. Will know more how he's traveling after the intraclub game next Wednesday. Sure there will be plenty of updates and reports after that.

Name: Andrew Phillips

Number: 27

2015 Games: 4 AFL, 12 NEAFL

AFL Fantasy Average: 50

Awards: Nil

Background: Andrew Phillips was selected with pick 4 in the 2010 AFL Rookie Draft. He made his AFL debut in the GIANTS’ first-ever win against the Gold Coast in Canberra.

Best Game: AFL Round 21 v Sydney - 12 disposals, 2 marks, 2 inside-50, 28 hit-outs

Summary: It was another dominant season in the NEAFL for Andrew Phillips who wreaked havoc against opposition ruckmen with his superior size and work-rate. He played four senior games after Shane Mumford went down with injury, but struggled with some back and shoulder issues of his own throughout the year. Phillips competed with Tom Downie and Rory Lobb for that starting ruck role but was unable to cement his spot until late in the season.

Pat On The Back: Despite only playing four AFL games, Phillips had a relatively consistent season but was struck-down with injury just went an opportunity opened up at senior level.

What They Said: “Andrew was very good, not just with hit tap work but also with the impact he had around the ground,” - NEAFL Coach Brett Hand.

Look Ahead: Phillips’ tap-work has improved dramatically over the last few seasons and now he is working hard to impact contests and stoppages with his physicality and intimidation. First-choice ruckman Shane Mumford is a perfect mentor for this aspect of his game.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-10-15/season-summary-andrew-phillips#sthash.7E07IAhb.dpuf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back